Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » the rent is too damn high

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
the rent is too damn high
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

LennyLen said:

We're in the same building we were already in, so we're still right in the centre of the city.

That's what I was going to ask you. If it's bye bye nice old look building or not. Hm, anyway I'm not really fond of open space involving kitchen not separated from living room. I don't really need to smell my meal by my working desk.

Anyway, I'm still waiting till we manage to finally reorganise our flat so we can fully utilize a room that's left after my grandmother.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Quote:

USD 280

You bastard! >:(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

USD 280

That's reasonable rent. Not quite too damn high.

bamccaig said:

I think you pretty much have to vacuum about once a week around here to keep the place free of lint and dust build up and such

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I think he's paying thrice that. Calm down, Trent. Rents will drop because people are worried about forclosure. Mortgages might (stress might) drop because banks don't want to own properties. There is a federal plan to help distressed owners restructure thier loans. Right now, as a renter, you are in the driver's seat.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

It's going for $370 (USD 280)

I guess rent is high here because there is limited housing. Prices don't seem to have been affected much by recent economic events. I'm sure they just charge a lot because they can (not a lot of competition to keep prices down). :-/

LennyLen said:

p/w

Meaning? :-X

I suppose I should mention that my rent includes all utilities, but I don't expect that you change anyone's mind. :(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Bob Keane said:

Right now, as a renter, you are in the driver's seat.

Not here. Rent didn't go down much over all. Heck, my rent went up this year.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's not that I'm happy paying CAD$650 a month, but I'm happier than I would be paying CAD$750 or CAD$850 (even happier still that I don't have to pay for utilities). :-X

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, utilities aren't included in my $490/mo. Nor is taxes or anything else. Since I'm just renting the small plot of land for that $480, I think its a bit high.

When I moved in 5 years ago, I was paying $360, or something around that.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

OICW said:

Hm, anyway I'm not really fond of open space involving kitchen not separated from living room. I don't really need to smell my meal by my working desk.

I have my desk set up in the second bedroom. :D

Bob Keane said:

There is a federal plan to help distressed owners restructure thier loans.

Trent is Canadian, so I don't think they're going to help him. ;)

bamccaig said:

I guess rent is high here because there is limited housing.

What we're paying is considered reasonably high, but demand for apartments in these heritage buildings is high. For the price we're paying, you can rent a three bedroom house with a yard in most parts of the city.

Quote:

Meaning?

p/w = per week.

Quote:

I suppose I should mention that my rent includes all utilities, but I don't expect that you change anyone's mind.

If I add power and internet (we're not getting a phone), then it's around $410 (USD 310) per week.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

p/w = per week.

LennyLen said:

If I add power and internet (we're not getting a phone), then it's around $410 (USD 310) per week.

:o

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Oh damn, I thought that was per month. That sounds about on par with rent around here I guess.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

$1500 for a reasonable studio around here.

Partially I believe the prices are propped up by the city's regulations against building tall buildings.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

LennyLen said:

$1200/month for a city apartment is okay if you don't have to own a car. Otherwise, it's too damn high.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Partially I believe the prices are propped up by the city's regulations against building tall buildings.

That's part of the problem here as well, though it's not due to regulation but due to the fact that the city is sitting on top of a massive reervoir of water which is very close to the surface. We can't build tall buildings as the foundations for them would be below the water table.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I paid off my mortgage last year and I've never felt safer knowing no matter what happens I'll still have somewhere to live.

I feel sorry for people in UK (no idea about elsewhere) as the cost of houses, the lack of mortgages and the need to have a high deposit (upwards of 50-£60k) means new starters simply cannot get a house.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

ML said:

$1200/month for a city apartment is okay if you don't have to own a car. Otherwise, it's too damn high.

My mortgage is $1500. For $300 extra I get to own the house in twenty years. So what if Trent is Canadian? That still entitles him to the same rights and priviledges as any other American.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I paid off my mortgage last year and I've never felt safer knowing no matter what happens I'll still have somewhere to live.

I assume that means that you have full fire, flood, etc., etc., insurance? ;)

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Actually, isn't insurance void for 'acts of god' and terrorism?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Actually, isn't insurance void for 'acts of god' and terrorism?

I should hope not... It still isn't your fault and you've paid your share.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Does your insurance cover act of dog and other acts?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

$1500 for a reasonable studio around here.

That's the kind of prices after the collapse of the estate market?!

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Jesus F Christ! :o Those numbers are completely totally insane! In my part of the world rent for a typical flat is around 250-350€ per month. Back when I was living in a rented apartment the rent was 420€ per month, which included everything except for internet (that's electricity, heating, water etc.) and the place was huge! 3 bedrooms and about 115 square meters (that's about 1250 square ft for Americans)...

--
sig used to be here

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Ya, rent prices in Canada are a real bummer. I guess beggars can't be choosers though. I get free money, just enough to pay my parents to rent out their basement suite and buy food and a few extras. All in all it's not too bad.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Surely prices are based on location? I imagine buying a studio apartment in New York is treble the cost of a five bedroom straw built house in Ohio?

Here in the UK, after the recent spending review, people are up in arms that those on benefit will be thrown on the street because they are planning on capping the amount of rent paid for by the government (i.e. me) to those on benefit to £400 a week.

That's a monthly free handout of upto £1200 or almost US $2000 :o per month. Where I live you can get a mansion for that price (or a mortgage equivalent of a house worth about £400k).

Neil.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

In other words UK Gov, plans to place a cap on how much can an apartment be given for rent for, bypassing the free market? This will result in property to be simple unavailable for rent anymore :-/.

Go to: