Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » T-shirt design ideas for Allegro / TINS / Speedhack / etc...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
T-shirt design ideas for Allegro / TINS / Speedhack / etc...
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

In the TINS '08 thread Kibiz0r asked about the possibility of a TINS or Speedhack t-shirt being made available. Thomas Fjellstrom recommended we could add some designs to the Cafepress store's Allegro merchandise. I had forgotten there was Allegro clothing and merchandise available. More prominent links to the store would be nice, here at allegro.cc or on alleg.sourceforge.net and this could raise the proceeds and product awareness as well.

Long story short, here's my idea for an Allegro t-shirt design. If you have one you'd like to see for Allegro or one of the coding competitions, post it here!

I only have a layout design for now, and no example but I'll put something together tomorrow on the other computer as it has better design software on it.

Front :
(Allegro is underlined and is in a larger font size and slightly wider than the second line. The text area runs across the center of the chest.)

Allegro
 Game Coding Library

Back :
(alleg.sourceforge.net runs across the shoulder blades and there is a grid of depot game screenshots underneath it with their titles - maybe 2X2 or 3X3 depending on what looks readable and nice)

alleg.sourceforge.net

Game 1     Game 2

Game 3     Game 4

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Do we have an official slogan/motto or anything? Just for something to put under the logo/URL...

Perhaps "Log in, try to learn, and then give up after getting mocked by the regulars!"

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I would buy a speedhack shirt just so I could explain to people what it meant. People would just assume I was into music if I wore a shirt that said "Allegro".

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

With some proper designs I'll have a reason to reogranize the store :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Can I get one of those "Event Staff" shirts? Even though I'm not event staff? :P

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Thomas, do you know what kind of format it has to be in, and what size/resolution the design should be?

I've put together some screenshots of allegro games I like to play but I still need to fix up some of the pics of the game titles for transparency use. After that I can reformat/resize everything and make a composite image.

Are there accepted standard fonts I should use for the text on the front side of the shirt and for the url on the back?

Is anyone working on a design for TINS or SpeedHack or a different Allegro t-shirt? Let's hear your ideas, people!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The images for the dark tshirts seem to have a limit of 10x10 inches on the front at 100dpi minimum, pockets are 6x6 inches, both prefer 200dpi, the classic cap wants 200dpi minimum and 5x2" so It pretty much varies per item I think.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

"Allegro. If at first you don't succeed, come to us."

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

1 - 30 of 4,940,000 Designs

Yikes! That's what I saw when I went to look at cafepress's men's t-shirts to get a blank white t-shirt picture front and back. I had to 'photoshop' a blank one up.

Here are some draft previews of my proposed t-shirt front and back :
Front :
{"name":"596041","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46870817de104efd4550a24f63e06ca0.jpg","w":900,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46870817de104efd4550a24f63e06ca0"}596041
Back :
{"name":"596040","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/12a9bff1b223a2b9aef191e392407053.jpg","w":675,"h":675,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/2\/12a9bff1b223a2b9aef191e392407053"}596040

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

No offense, but wearing that would be just... wrong. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

No offense, but wearing that would be just... wrong.

There's nothing wrong with showing some pride in Allegro or the games people have made using it. If you're too ashamed of Allegro then don't buy one. If you don't have any constructive suggestions for t-shirt ideas, don't post here. If you have actual reasons you don't like it - ie. poor layout / you dislike the font choices / would like a different design - then you are welcome to post those concerns.

To those who are interested, here's the layout I used :
The image on the front is 10"X4" using the Eurostile font.
The image on the back is 10"X12" with the title text in High Tower Text font.
Each game in the grid got a 5"X5" area with a 4"X3" area for the pic and a 4"X2" area for the game title / logo. The title text on the back has a 10"X2" area.

I've made up some blank templates so I can alter things if I need to. Hopefully the 10"X12" area on the back won't be a problem - Thomas, can you verify the specs for the size on the back of a few different t-shirt styles? I made everything in 200dpi so hopefully the resolution will look good. That makes for 800px by 600px game pics which seems reasonable.

This design should look good on a white t-shirt but I would need to redesign it partially for the black texts on the front, the "HeroQuest" text and the title text on the back for dark colored t-shirts as those would disappear into the background.

If anyone likes the layout style of this t-shirt, I could redesign it for different groups of games given links to game pics in a 4:3 aspect ratio and game logos/titles in their respective fonts/designs.

So what does everyone think? Please be constructive, as comments like "That's teh suxorz!" are not welcome.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

OK, no matter how you bullshit me here about pride in Allegro and the games people made. Wearing a T-Shirt about a game programming library just isn't right IMHO. I mean, I love programming, I love Allegro, but not to that extent that I would wear a T-shirt about it. I haven't totally been eaten by g33kiness. I bet most people here share my opinion.

So, to prevent you from saying this post isn't constructive, I'll bitch a little about the t-shirt. On the front, its too plain. Its just Allegro, game programming library. I admit, I didn't read what is possible to put on it, but we could at least put alex on there, or something more colorful, etc. Like this, its just too plain.

Behind, again, I don't know if its possible, but I wouldn't use plain square images, I would make them... I don't know how to put it. On the borders, they would not be edgy, and they would be blurred on the borders, so there wouldn't be such a definitive transition from picture to white. I would write the name of the games with the same font, not with pictures, it would look more uniform and that means it would look nicer IMO.

This is just my opinion, don't know if its possible, but, I think that way they would look better.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I'd wear an allegro t-shirt, but something simpler. Have some code on it or something.. maybe even just:

#include <allegro.h>

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Wearing a T-Shirt about a game programming library just isn't right IMHO.

I have a T-shirt with an entire program coded on the back.

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

wearing a programming t shirt is just way too geeky

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Thank you!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'd wear the Alex t-shirt. The image could be even bigger. As it is now, it is so small it should be on the left side, not centered.
.280965551v1_240x240_Front.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Put a screenhack entry on the back.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

On the front, its too plain. Its just Allegro, game programming library. I admit, I didn't read what is possible to put on it, but we could at least put alex on there, or something more colorful, etc. Like this, its just too plain.

This is something I can actually work with, so thank you for that. As to what is possible to put on the shirt, whatever you can come up with is what we could put on it.

Here's a more colorful version of the front overlay, with some added text shadows :
{"name":"596044","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4ba830eaf0bd36cbb0c2a5e626abcb44.jpg","w":2000,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4ba830eaf0bd36cbb0c2a5e626abcb44"}596044
Again, more ideas are always helpful.

Quote:

Behind, again, I don't know if its possible, but I wouldn't use plain square images, I would make them... I don't know how to put it. On the borders, they would not be edgy, and they would be blurred on the borders, so there wouldn't be such a definitive transition from picture to white.

Can you make a small example image to show me what your desired effect is?

Quote:

I would write the name of the games with the same font, not with pictures, it would look more uniform and that means it would look nicer IMO.

I made up a small example of how it would look this way. Personally, I like the logos better as they help show more of the personality of the game and the time invested in them.

With text game titles in High Tower Text font (the text in the image scaled down very poorly)
{"name":"596045","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/c\/5cfa74490fb9d7ed8e25b06126bc0b06.jpg","w":600,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/c\/5cfa74490fb9d7ed8e25b06126bc0b06"}596045

There are some images of A and Alex on this thread on Allegro logos if anyone wants to use it in their t-shirt design.

I'll be looking over http://cooltext.com/ to see if I can come up with some more ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I don't like the screenshots on the back. I think a simple logo on the front and a screen hack entry on the back would be better.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

I also am in favour of a screenhack entry somewhere on the shirt.
I would not buy a shirt about programming (or anything; I wear the plainest clothing I can get my hands on), but I think it would be cool nonetheless.

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Here's another can of worms: Which screenhack entry gets to be on the back?

My vote's for Cursor*n.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Perhaps a design for the back that more people might find acceptable is a collection of 10 game logos - 2 across and 5 tall, from the top ten rated games on the depot. I'd need a list of the top ten most downloaded 5 star games first and then I could collect their logos and make a prototype t-shirt back. alleg.sourceforge.net would still be on the back in the same place.

Re : ScreenHack -
Did anyone ever vote for a winning program for ScreenHack '08?

I think it would be nice to have separate shirts - one for each competition , and maybe a couple designs for general Allegro t-shirts, instead of mixing a main allegro t-shirt with one of the competition t-shirts. Ie... If it's going to be a ScreenHack t-shirt, then on the front make it "Allegro ScreenHack" and not just "Allegro" by itself as ScreenHack only represents a part of Allegro and not the whole.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Sign me up for a Grozilla t-shirt!

1   2   3 

Go to: