Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » TINS 2008 registration open

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
TINS 2008 registration open
kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I didn't enter last year's SpeedHack because I was afraid of not being up to the challenge. Actually, I may not be up to the challenge now either, but if I don't give it a try now, I'll never enter any SpeedHack/TINS.

Let's hope the rules turn out to be kind.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

I didn't enter last year's SpeedHack because I was afraid of not being up to the challenge.

I had the same worry last year for Speedhack, that I wouldn't be up to completing an entry and that I was way out of my league. Although I may have been right concerning myself, you shouldn't let that discourage you.

FalseMasterJ
Member #6,642
December 2005

Harry Carey said:

Who is FalseMasterJ?

I'm Johnathan Roatch, and I actually go to the Huntington University in Indiana.

I did sign up to allegro.cc a long time ago, but I haven't really done much of anything.
I plan to change that.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Pedro said:

Is that so? I was hoping for better luck... I don't really mind, though, as long as you guys have good ideas. :)

I could certainly use some help with music for my entry...

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

FalseMasterJ: How interesting, that is indeed the school my sister goes to. You doing CS?

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

amarillion said:

I could certainly use some help with music for my entry...

Sure, I'll write down your order, would you like fries with that? :)

By the way, I just found my programming sl... friend! A friend of mine who just started studying CS the other day and never heard about allegro before stood up for the challenge. He'll need good training in these late days if we want any results, but hey, this is not about the results, but about the fun!

That means, I probably won't have time to do graphics for other people. Music is my speciality, I can do crappy rushed music, but if I try that with graphics it's unlikely anything good-looking will come out. We'll still see though.

Anyone else?

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Shoot... I would join, but I lost my artist! He moved to Portland... :'(

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

FalseMasterJ
Member #6,642
December 2005

Harry Carey said:

You doing CS?

No, but my professors really want me to. :)

Anyway, I hope I'll do really well in TINS.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm sure you'll do ok. Last year's Speedhack was fun, and even if I don't much like my entry I did manage to finish it.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Quote:

A friend of mine who just started studying CS the other day and never heard about allegro before stood up for the challenge.

Great, who is he, has he signed up for TINS yet? Tell him to sign up for a.cc as well so we can prep him for the competition ;D

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Quote:

Tell him to sign up for a.cc as well so we can prep him for the competition

With a.cc's project completion rates as they are, I do not think this the wisest course of preparation.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

72 hours projects have a higher probability of being completed.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Compared to projects outside the competition you mean?

I never thought about that. The TINS/SH drop-out rates are actually quite low if you look at it that way.

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

Yay, I entered my first TINS!;D Hopefully I will be able to finish my entry, or at least make it playable.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Pedro Avelar Gontijo
Member #5,372
January 2005

I'm looking forward to this :)
And oh, I asked this on IRC without proper answers: what is the channel for TINS during the competition, if any?

----------
兩隻老虎,兩隻老虎,跑得快!

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Signed up. This will be the first time I (maybe) complete a project since my Tron game at school, so I'm excited. :)

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Well, I wasn't gonna enter this year since I've sort of moved on to C#, but then I realized there's Allegro for C# too. So, I'll give it a shot.

Also, is there any possibility of TINS/SpeedHack t-shirts in the future? It'd be a good way to spread the word and raise some money, geek cred aside.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I would buy one of those t-shirt.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Could always add something to the cafepress store

Maybe use the procedes to give the winner[s] stuff from the store?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

[link]

:o Wow, it's all of the items you could ever want... with a tiny, tiny A on them?

I like the idea of giving away some merchandise, though. We just need some more interesting merchandise in there. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sadly that's all the stuff cafepress has.

And if anyone wants to straighten out the stuff on there to make it look better, let me know and I'll give you access :) (if you can do that at cafepress...)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Allegro C# sucks. Any wrappers I've tried for it mutate the API and aren't even consistent in it. Differing naming and capitalization conventions, etc. It was a mess last time I checked.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Given this is the 5th TINS, why not have a special prize for the best TINS entry over the last five years?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Allegro Thong

I'm deeply disturbed by this.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

Allegro C# sucks.

Just as I feared. :-/

I guess I could try making my own wrapper...

Go to: