Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Fedora 33 and allegro-devel install problem

Credits go to Edgar Reynaldo and Peter Hull for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Fedora 33 and allegro-devel install problem
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I installed(?) allegro 5 using dnf on Fedora and thought things went well. After configuring code::blocks I tried compiling a simple program but got linking errors. I tried reinstalling and most of the packages were installed except allegro-devel. I believe I got a no such package error. I tried compiling from the command line, got errors related to allegro-devel and was prompted to install, so I said yes. the compile failed. Errors are:

gcc main.c `allegro-config --libs`
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccbuDCqo.o: in function `main':
main.c:(.text+0x14): undefined reference to `al_install_system'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `al_init_primitives_addon'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x74): undefined reference to `al_create_display'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0xb3): undefined reference to `al_set_target_backbuffer'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0xc7): undefined reference to `al_map_rgb'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0xed): undefined reference to `al_clear_to_color'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x101): undefined reference to `al_map_rgb'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x19a): undefined reference to `al_draw_ellipse'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x19f): undefined reference to `al_flip_display'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x1b0): undefined reference to `al_rest'
/usr/bin/ld: main.c:(.text+0x1bc): undefined reference to `al_destroy_display'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

This leads me to believe the package is not installed or installed correctly. Am I correct? I can remove and reinstall but if there is something else going on, I'd like to find out. Thx

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

You're linking wrong. You should be using pkg-config, not allegro-config
gcc -Wall -Wextra -Wshadow -ggdb3 -O0 `pkg-config --cflags allegro`, and add all the addon libraries you used. You're just not linking, there's nothing broken at all.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I'm pretty sure my system is messed up. I'm going to try a few other things and see what happens.

Peter?

{"name":"612942","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/40e4901094aecd40353514562a599b12.jpg","w":300,"h":168,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/40e4901094aecd40353514562a599b12"}612942

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Bob - not sure what you meant with that image. I was in a rush with my poist but the point was to make sure you were installing allegro5-devel and not allegro-devel. Using allegro-config (which is provided by the latter) is going to pass Allegro 4 libs into the the linker and that might account for the missing symbols you see listed.
Cheers!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Peter, I did not notice the difference between the package you posted and what I thought I was using. I thought I sensed a little sarcasm, sorry. Still trying a few things, but confused why code::blocks does not work.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Good stuff! I have Fedora 34 in a VM so if you haven't fixed it I can have a look, though I'm not a code::blocks user. Will be tomorrow probably.
Also I noticed I've invented a new word 'poist'! It's a cross between point and post. You heard it first here...

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I'm still looking into using code::blocks to make compiling easier. In the meantime, here is the code attached. What would be the terminal command to compile? I want to check my installation.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I compiled your main.c with

cc -o main -O2 -g main.c $(pkg-config --libs --cflags allegro-5 allegro_primitives-5) 

(this was on Fedora 34, but I don't believe 33 would be any different)
The packages I have installed are (I have both A4 & A5, they coexist ok)

$ dnf list installed |grep allegro
allegro.x86_64                                 4.4.3.1-5.fc34                    @fedora               
allegro-devel.x86_64                           4.4.3.1-5.fc34                    @fedora               
allegro5.x86_64                                5.2.4-7.fc34                      @fedora               
allegro5-addon-image.x86_64                    5.2.4-7.fc34                      @fedora               
allegro5-addon-image-devel.x86_64              5.2.4-7.fc34                      @fedora               
allegro5-devel.x86_64                          5.2.4-7.fc34                      @fedora    

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I did upgrade to Fedora 34 recently, I forgot to note in the thread.
EDIT:
I forgot to ask, do I need to fully qualify the path to the *.so files, ie /usr/lib64 (or lib) in the terminal command? If so the problem may be a PATH issue.

EDIT2:
I was able to compile and link in terminal, so the issue is something in code::blocks. I'll keep looking.

EDIT3: Nevermind, found it thanks.

Go to: