Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Found old project on GitHub

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Found old project on GitHub
DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I grew up in the DOS era and played quite a few games that I still are fond of. One of them, Castle Adventure, I liked a lot.

As with all older games, CPU timing wasn't a concern. This makes it impossible to play on current machines. You can move around, but when you go to attack a monster they can hit you multiple times and kill you before you can even strike.

This was before DosBox. The old game runs well in DosBox now.

So, I remade it using Allegro and simple graphics. Not very good in my opinion. The original had 40x25 screen and it didn't port over very easily using standard 16x16 tiles.

As a lark, I also remade it again using Pascal and text only. However still for DOS and still had the timing issue.

Surprisingly, there is still a small interest. I watched a live stream of someone playing it. It was refreshing to see someone beat it not knowing about it before.

I also google the name and found my project from over 12 years ago, on GitHub. I flattered and embarrassed. It uses an old version of Allegro (includes "winalleg.h").

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I haven't played it yet, but the graphics are reminiscent of Akalebeth.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

The GitHub uploader updated it so I don't know if it's playable or not.

The original game was made by a 14 year old using basic (with exe compiler) back in 1984.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Like all old projects, you should only pick them up again if you enjoy working on them. Otherwise, it's a forced workload that you will resent and the game will not go well. If you like Castle Adventure that much, I would be glad to see you remake it using Allegro 5 or such.

Go to: