Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » TikTok

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
TikTok
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

TikTok. Never downloaded it. Never will. Never have seen it. Hope I don't.

Microsoft vs China. Do you actually trust one more than the other with the data?

I get that Trump is mad at TikTok because he thinks they caused such a poor turnout at a rally, but politicians from both sides like to talk smack about it.

But I do hope this is a topic at a Biden v Trump debate, regardless of whether it's been banned or bought by Microsoft (which Trump would claim is a big win. big win. biggest win ever). I just want to hear Biden say TikTok ten times on live TV and pretend to know what it is.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

TikTok. Never downloaded it. Never will. Never have seen it. Hope I don't.

It's this generation's MTV.

Quote:

Microsoft vs China. Do you actually trust one more than the other with the data?

On the whole, I'd trust a company with my data more than a government. Not because I see them is being better, but because, in general, they have more to lose by screwing up. Once a corporation has the market share that MS does though, that no longer holds so true.

Quote:

I get that Trump is mad at TikTok because he thinks they caused such a poor turnout at a rally, but politicians from both sides like to talk smack about it.

Trump wanting them banned is probably a good reason to let them be. I'd trust the Chinese before I trusted him.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I don't remember MTV collecting my personal information... hmmmm

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

jmasterx said:

I don't remember MTV collecting my personal information... hmmmm

I was more referring to the older generation who didn't understand it, wouldn't watch it, and thought it was going to cause all sorts of societal ills.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

MS may have bad motives, but they're not as bad as those of an overtly adversarial dictatorship.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

LennyLen said:

and thought it was going to cause all sorts of societal ills.

Have you seen Jersey Shore? I'm not into TicToc, I have no idea what it is all about. With all the rumours of the Chinese government's use I don't think it is a good idea to use it.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

So China will spy my activity through G5 and TikTok, but USA didn't do that for decades through Internet and IRC/eMail/Facebook. Yeah, sounds legit.[/sarcasm] ::)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I don't know what MS will do with TikTok.... OS integration ... shudder.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My wife has become obsessed because she is still out of work because of the pandemic. She's better about doing stuff than I would be, but still spends some days just on tiktok.

The whole ban thing is stupid. If any of the data that tiktok was collecting was so important they wouldn't have let Facebook collect it for a decade and sell it to the Chinese. Let alone the five eyes collecting that and more about us all. At least we have to opt in to tiktok.

Trump isn't even pretending to be president anymore. He's just going to blatantly abuse his powers until he gets dragged out dead or alive.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Everyone in the /dev/security community has been SCREAMING about it for YEARS. Don't make it a partisan issue. The same people beating up Hong Kong protesters, run the app. It works pretty simple in China. China will "invest" in any plausible company you want to start, but in return, they own you and can do anything for "national security" reasons. The people who made "the great firewall of china", and over 70% of all world internet attacks, aren't magically forgetting about Tik Tok.

Anyone who complained about having "amazon in your room spying on you" is a massive hypocrite if they're not alarmed by literally sending videos of underage children to the Chinese government.

Tik Tok, AFAICT, is nothing more than a new app version of Vine. Which was US until Twitter bought it just to close it down. PEOPLE are the content. The app is irrelevent.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Wouldn't a capitalist then say Microsoft (or some good American company) should just build their own version? Why do we need to ban? Why can't the people decide which is the best product? Government regulation is bad. Unless it's good.

US data laws are pathetically weak. We should have the same level of concern for what Microsoft would do with the data. The risks are different but I don't see how it is possible to fundamentally quantify the difference.

It's easy to scream CHINA BAD! Sure, their government is. But it's just as easy to scream that CORPORATE AMERICA BAD! Because it can be too.

I don't understand why a single app gets banned though. If TikTok cannot be trusted then no app from China can be trusted, so why not just make it categorically illegal for Google/Apple to allow any Chinese apps on their services in USA?

To be clear, I don't think it's an outlandish idea to ban the app given its potential ties to the Chinese government. But it is quite naive to think any single entity anywhere should hold so much easily exploitable data about such a large group of people.

I use a lot of Google products and they know everything about me. I'd rather be able to use their same products without them knowing everything about me. But I know if I had to pay $500/year for everything, then they'd just be collecting and selling my data on top of that. :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I don't understand why a single app gets banned though. If TikTok cannot be trusted then no app from China can be trusted, so why not just make it categorically illegal for Google/Apple to allow any Chinese apps on their services in USA?

Because it has been proven that the app is literally stealing any data it can from users, not just videos, but phone locations, contact information, etc.

While Google, Amazon, and Facebook are evil, spying companies; the difference is, they're still beholden to US law. If we make a privacy law, they follow it. They've been subpoena'd numerous times and comply with them. How many EU websites have you been to that had you click "accept" to allowing cookies? Hundreds? It's a silly law, but they follow it.

Quote:

Wouldn't a capitalist then say Microsoft (or some good American company) should just build their own version? Why do we need to ban? Why can't the people decide which is the best product? Government regulation is bad. Unless it's good.

Because there's clear intent to do direct harm to their customers. They want it to become popular so they can then get information to blackmail people, as well as find information people accidentally leak. Like the child of an NSA employee posting the inside of their house. Or, the app straight up snoops your browsing history.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/unpacking-tiktok-mobile-apps-and-national-security-risks said:

Yes, the link between data collection on federal personnel and national security threats (that is, counterintelligence operations) is clearer. One could imagine how a clearance-holding federal employee with an embarrassing internet search history could be blackmailed, or how the GPS movements of a clearance-holding federal employee would likewise be valuable to a foreign intelligence service.

Aside from security concerns: China literally "boosts" pretty people and hides "ugly and disabled" people from Tik Tok. If anyone has any "ethical" standard that they scream about US corporations, they're hypocrites if they don't scream at Tik Tok. If YouTube was banning "ugly" people to make their service look more attractive, you're damn sure people would protest and try to ban it.

Lastly, Tik Tok is NOT the only corporation that has come under scrutiny. Anyone painting it as "dangerous because they're a competitor to the US" is B.S.ing you. They also targeted Huewai because they were again, literally spying on people with their hardware built for... wait for it... the Chinese government.

The word "No" to the CCP does not exist in the Chinese language unless you want to end up dead.

[edit] Also, India already banned Tik Tok and other Chinese apps for the same reasons. Nobody is saying "omg Indians are racist" or "omg, they're just mad tik tok messed up an Indian rally" or "omg, Indians are just trying to prop up Indian competitors." Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................... when you can't point to "orange man bad" all a sudden their actions seem reasonable. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

ML said:

Wouldn't a capitalist then say Microsoft (or some good American company) should just build their own version?

Instagram has, or are they not an American company?

I've read Mr. Trump is expecting Microsoft to give a big chunk of the money they get from TikTok if the sale goes through to the US government for helping make the deal go through. However, it was the US government which forced China to consider selling in the first place. So America can now claim a product a "threat to national security" to force its sale and claim a piece of the pie.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

@chris - Sounds like the app breaks Google and Apple's ToS. Google and Apple are American. They would do no harm. Why haven't they banned it? Or are you and the Internet the only person who knows about it? :-/

PS: I think the only people (outside TikTok itself) that would hold Trump in contempt if it were banned are the kids who use the app. And they'd blame whoever the administration is because, well, they are kids.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Or are you and the Internet the only person who knows about it?

It's amazing how searching can lead you to answers! :o ::)

Warning—Apple Suddenly Catches TikTok Secretly Spying On Millions Of iPhone Users Magically, after the global pressure turns onto Tik Tok, Apple "suddenly" realizes Tik Tok is spying on you and violation of their ToS! Wow, what a coincidence!

It turns out, Tik Tok was using an iOS zeroday to copy everything you had on your clipboard. You know, passwords, usernames, personal information, medical information, literally anything you copy and paste. But you know, it's just "muh china", right?

Further:

Google and Apple which have Chinese markets are afraid to act.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/cg1qt2/tiktok_recording_in_the_background_without_the/

"Using 1 GB of microphone data in background."

https://www.reddit.com/r/savedyouaclick/comments/hh9q19/guy_who_reverseengineered_tiktok_reveals_the/

https://rufposten.de/blog/2019/12/05/privacy-analysis-of-tiktoks-app-and-website/

https://www.boredpanda.com/tik-tok-reverse-engineered-data-information-collecting/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Ultimately the problem is that browsers and phones know a LOT about us, and there is not nearly enough user control over how that data is collected and copied by software. Those with the power to fix it won't: they get very rich monetizing our data. In reality, no device should be handing any data over to any app without asking the user for permission first. And to prevent apps from failing/refusing services to those that refuse to offer data, we need mechanisms built into the software and user interface to feed dummy data instead of outright refusing data. Essentially, generate a completely fake profile and feed that data to apps that ask for it. That's how our hardware and software should work. And that's how it would work if we were in control of it. We need to take back control of it.

Note: governments are hacking all of our devices to steal data. This is not unique to China. My government does it. Your government does it. Russia obviously does it. All developed countries, and even some under-developed countries, are spying on everyone like crazy.

In terms of government's stealing data I don't think that's the major concern here. It is a concern, but the only solution is encrypt everything and change the laws so that we all have the right to NOT reveal keys/passwords to governments. Fat chance of any governments allowing that anytime soon (but kudos to everybody that tries).

Facebook does not obey the law. They take what they want, and take their slap on the wrist when they get caught. They've been blatantly abusing user data since day one. That's how they became so big.

We should not be trusting American corporations or European corporations either. We should not be trusting anyone implicitly with ANY data. It's time we took our data back.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

@Chris: Sounds like it's time to shut Apple and Google down. If Microsoft gets TikTok then they'll probably package it all up all the data daily on floppy disks and send it to China.

Apple loves to block me from updating apps because some outsourced help decides to arbitrarily enforce some rule differently from the last five reviewers, but they apparently allow China to steal all of our data. :-[

Agreed with bambam about getting our data back. I've had countless clients want to collect data indefinitely without purpose or any data access controls, retention policies, etc. Should be completely illegal to do that stuff and jail time for everyone involved.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

TikTok is more shit than any meme site. I'm not interested. do whatever you want.

Kill each other for TikTok.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Should be completely illegal to do that stuff and jail time for everyone involved.

How about 4% of annual worldwide revenue? :)

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

[quote]
Kill each other for TikTok.
[/quote]
WWIII :D

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It's all political, for sure. Regulating the data of foreign enterprise is certainly possible, and if that were really what this was about I would expect that to be the focus of the reaction. Thing is, the threat they're reacting to probably isn't real, they know it, and that's why they don't want to move. If the US starts to move in that direction that will set off a reaction from other countries to regulate foreign data and shoot themselves in the face.

You're right ML -- Singling out one company just doesn't scale to that problem in any way.

Certainly China restricts access to US companies through extreme internal regulation, of course... and their government is a horrifying cult of baby eating human organ harvesting monsters with rhino horns up their asses but Trumpty Dumpty isn't going to fall of his wall trying to change anything about that.

Oh. Howdy y'all. It's been a long time.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Haha, that does actually sound like fun. I missed that thread when I was catching up.

I think the Christmas/Holiday suggestion is exceptionally bad, and so is the idea I just had of turning it into a programming competition.... ;D

Having the allegro.cc emoticons back in my life is an wonderful feeling. 8-)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo said:

Haha, that does actually sound like fun. I missed that thread when I was catching up.

I thought so, but there has been very little participation so far. I'm the only one drunk OR stoned on the call, and the most people we've ever had at once is 2. :(

Derezo said:

I think the Christmas/Holiday suggestion is exceptionally bad, and so is the idea I just had of turning it into a programming competition.... ;D

Agreed and agreed. :D I think the idea is dead until we get more interest... I figured more people would be interested just for the social aspect, but I guess not.

1   2 

Go to: