1   2   3 
ItsyRealm: Alpha #2
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

The website is live!

https://itsyrealm.com

Yay!

I added the launcher. It downloads the latest version of the game. Nifty. Should make it easier...

You can download the launcher here.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The ease of use of the launcher is nice, but Where? did you save the download? I don't like mysterious programs littering my hard drive with their stuff, especially when they don't tell me where they put it. How am I supposed to uninstall it now?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I was so moved by your work that it motivated myself to make and android port of my work.

I've got some result, thought there are some things that are still unsolved.

So, here are my questions for you ^^

-Did you set some options to gain a better performance on android ? It seems to have problem eating the events in my tests.
-How did you managed the ressource loading ? via libzip ? via the asset manager ? or statically on the sdcard ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

The ease of use of the launcher is nice, but Where? did you save the download? I don't like mysterious programs littering my hard drive with their stuff, especially when they don't tell me where they put it. How am I supposed to uninstall it now?

My 'mysterious program' stores itself and the game at %APPDATA%/ItsyRealmLauncher and creates shortcuts to uninstall and configure itself on first launch. Check your start menu.

The launcher is open source, too: https://github.com/aaronbolyard/itsyrealm-launcher

-Did you set some options to gain a better performance on android ? It seems to have problem eating the events in my tests.

I pushed a lot of stuff to C++. I reduce render state changes as much as possible by sorting the scene by shader, then texture, and drawing all objects in that order.

I still only manage 10 FPS on my really low end tablet. I'm going to get one of those NVIDIA tablets because they're close to the Nintendo Switch in specs and test it there.

Quote:

-How did you managed the ressource loading ? via libzip ? via the asset manager ? or statically on the sdcard ?

LOVE uses PhysFS. It loads the assets from the game package located in the APK.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Ha yesss you're using LOVE.

I did it with allegro5 ;-)

Edit: thanks for the feedback !

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I officially released the new version of the game. Biggest feature are multiple save files and title screen. Smaller features/additions include tool tips on the game world and analytics. You can opt out of analytics, but if you do, please have the decency to provide feedback.

If you've downloaded the launcher you'll automatically get the latest update when you run it.

{"name":"UA58Yvc.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/032969598f42a9e6080fda7ca73d76a4.png","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/032969598f42a9e6080fda7ca73d76a4"}UA58Yvc.png

Wee.

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I added disclaimers. Happy?

{"name":"611904","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/e\/4ec45ec812401a79d77fbc1532dec873.png","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/e\/4ec45ec812401a79d77fbc1532dec873"}611904

(Also one for the installer.)

The entire game (+ launcher) is open source it's not like I'm hiding anything. The link to the GitHub is on web site for crying out loud.

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Not really, no. Disclaimers are worse than being up front about things. And the fact that it's open source means nothing. You think I'm really going to read your source code just to figure out where your installer is putting things? That's crazy.

It may not be deception, but it's misleading, and it comes from a lack of being upfront about things.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

But I am up front?????????

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Aaron I don't know if this is your first installer program or not but there's some things that are common that yours is sorely lacking.

One is to allow the user to specify an install directory.

Two is to allow the user to choose whether shortcuts will be installed the most common place to install shortcuts is in the same directory as the install location.

These options aren't even offered at the minute so in my eyes it's a little questionable whether I would want to continue to use your software if I didn't already know you somewhat informally.

You wanted feedback, that's what I think. Do what you want to do with it. Good luck with your game. ;)

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

While that's nice, it doesn't change anything. :/

You should have to opt-in for something like that. Their Wizard FreeTM installation is not my cup of tea unless you still give me the ability to install where I please. I do NOT want anything installed on C:\ unless it has to do with the OS, or I need it to be on the SSD for some reason. I'm the kind of person who always picks the install directory.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Microsoft's "ClickOnce" software is terrible. I have used it a few times in the past. It does the job, but neither developer nor user has control with it. It's terrible garbage. The whole concept of installers is rudimentary and should be obsolete by now. Going to execute arbitrary code is basically going to dirty your file system in ways that cannot easily be undone. Installation is basically writing files to certain paths. That's literally all it should be. The Windows registry complicates matters unnecessarily. And that's some of the junk that may not be "cleaned up".

If your game is open source then you owe it to your followers to provide them with a portable package, meaning the software expects its runtime dependencies to be next to it (or easily customizable through environment variables). You shouldn't even need an installer. A zip file should suffice.

I agree that a good installer offers the user every freedom possible, and offers the user options for its non-freedoms and at the very least discloses everything that may impact the user.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

No.

I don't even touch the registry. My uninstaller literally removes everything.

A zip file doesn't auto-update.

edit: I'm going to be making some changes to the tutorial from the little bit of analytics & IRL feedback I've gotten

1. There will be a hungry knight (Orlando) hanging out at the ladder to the Abandoned Mines. He won't let you into the mines until you bring him his favorite meal: cooked sardine. This means a few things: a) The player will know how to obtain fish (either via the Mn'thrw encounter or by fishing using a fishing rod) and cook fish b) Players should now have food, or at least know how to get food. This will make the mines much easier.

2. Orlando will give the players some "rusty armor" and a wooden sword upon letting them enter the Abandoned Mines. (If there's no inventory space, he'll tell the player to make room and see him again).

3. There's going to be a chef walking around the port lamenting about burning his fish. She'll teach the player about the cooking skill like the other tutors. The tutors will have their dialog improved, as well.

4. Dialog improvements to be more explicit about things: a) Grimm will be more direct and say see Jenkins and Orlando to progress; b) Skeleton Miner Joe will be a bit clearer that the player should make a copper badge and tin can to avoid the skelementals; c) Jenkins will emphasize that the sunken chest in the fishing shop has the rewards, and that they will go to the player's bank upon collection, and that there's a bank chest in his house. d) Orlando will briefly talk about combat.

The problem is players go to the mines and die a lot. This is bad; they're supposed to go to the Port (apparently Grimm advising you to do so isn't enough).

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

To make combat a bit less click-and-wait I'm working on powers:

{"name":"611929","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/3\/139dd193f69c55030024e048c5bb815c.png","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/3\/139dd193f69c55030024e048c5bb815c"}611929

There's going be about 20 in the demo, and afterwards you'll unlock one roughly every 10 levels.

I'm going to be adding an "level up celebration" button that shows you all your new unlocks. It'll have a nice animation in the top-right corner of the screen. This is critical for things like powers since it's harder to know when you've unlocked a new power.

edit: Yay shields.

DO0jxGv.gif

Gotta add ones for wizards and archers next. They're required when using defensive powers.

---
they / she

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's going to be great !
:D

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

edit: The update is live! Yay.

You can make magic & ranged shields much like you make their armor, except they also require logs. The melee shield just requires bars. Shields are required to use defensive abilities.

*edit 2: I added rain (not yet live):

{"name":"611943","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/3719c3658cf9b03fe4ecd909fc7e340c.png","w":1024,"h":1024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/3719c3658cf9b03fe4ecd909fc7e340c"}611943

It doesn't rain in buildings:

{"name":"611944","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/4\/642819807760293d783452c32cfd40f8.png","w":1024,"h":1024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/4\/642819807760293d783452c32cfd40f8"}611944

SIGGRAPH 2019 here I come

I added all the powers:

{"name":"611941","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/c\/8ca893385f4155ee2d726d50cf7adaf0.png","w":960,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/c\/8ca893385f4155ee2d726d50cf7adaf0"}611941

(Not just the icons, but the animations and code, too. Haha.)

I just have to add a shield for archers & wizards and I'll post a new release.

You use them via the strategy bar at the top of the screen:

{"name":"611942","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15716c58d444c2c2cceda4c74208cf6c.png","w":1024,"h":1024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/5\/15716c58d444c2c2cceda4c74208cf6c"}611942

I'm going to have it populate with default powers (the level 1 ones). You click on an empty spot to bind a new power.

---
they / she

1   2   3 

Go to: