Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Appemting to load a font in android allegro (part 2)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Appemting to load a font in android allegro (part 2)
nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

I can't seem to post in the other thread(timeout) , so I'll try here.

I decided to tackle loading fonts in android allegro as well It's not working

In Android Studio 3 I didn't see an assets folder so I made one.

Now, if I load a font, the application will hang.

Here's my code

#SelectExpand
1#include <stdio.h> 2#include <allegro5/allegro.h> 3#include <allegro5/allegro_android.h> 4#include <allegro5/allegro_font.h> 5 6 7void goodscreen(void) 8{ 9 al_clear_to_color(al_map_rgb(0,255,0)); 10 al_flip_display(); 11 while(1); 12 13} 14 15void badscreen(void) 16{ 17 al_clear_to_color(al_map_rgb(255,0,0)); 18 al_flip_display(); 19 while(1); 20} 21 22int main(int argc, char **argv){ 23int x; 24 ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *display = NULL; 25 ALLEGRO_FONT *vl_font=NULL; 26 if(!al_init()) { 27 fprintf(stderr, "failed to initialize allegro!\n"); 28 return -1; 29 } 30 al_init_font_addon(); 31 al_android_set_apk_file_interface(); 32 al_android_set_apk_fs_interface(); 33 34 display = al_create_display(0, 0); 35 if(!display) { 36 fprintf(stderr, "failed to create display!\n"); 37 return -1; 38 } 39 vl_font = al_load_font("VL-PGothic-Regular.ttf",20,0); 40 if (vl_font == NULL) { 41 badscreen(); 42 } 43 goodscreen(); 44}

I have VL-PGothic-Regular.ttf in my assets folder, but when I run the app I don't get a red or green screen, but a black one and it hangs...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

I borrowing the code from the example at the bottom of liballeg lib for Android here...

https://github.com/liballeg/android

not only that - the example works :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Setting zero width and height is unprecedented. The manual says absolutely nothing about ever doing that. I see the example does do that though, and if you say it works, fine.

Elias, that really needs to be documented.

By the way, you're not calling al_init_ttf_addon.

nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

GRRR! I forgot the ttf header. It's tricky as phone development makes you lose the printf() debug console!

Now to figure out how to lock the screen in landscape!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I mean, I understand setting zero width and height if you're creating a fullscreen window, as the width and height are automatic. But you never set the new display flags, so I don't know why it would default to that. I thought default was windowed mode.

nshade said:

GRRR! I forgot the ttf header. It's tricky as phone development makes you lose the printf() debug console!

Use logcat instead. It will log to the android console.

Ian Lewis
Member #15,817
December 2014

nshade said:

Now to figure out how to lock the screen in landscape!

According to some notes I made a while back:

to force landscape add:

in AndroidManifest.xml, inside <activity>

android:configChanges="orientation|screenSize"
android:screenOrientation="landscape"

AND before you create the display, call:

al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_SUPPORTED_ORIENTATIONS,ALLEGRO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE,ALLEGRO_REQUIRE);

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Elias, that really needs to be documented.

Well, those phones only support FULLSCREEN_WINDOW mode, so technically we could either make al_create_display fail if anything else is requested or fail if width/height are anything but 0 - but instead I think we just completely ignore them.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

A simple note in the docs would be good enough, as long as it states the parameters passed to al_create_display will be ignored when creating a full screen window edit, and that full screen windows are the default.

It just struck me dumb that it worked. :o

Go to: