Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Appemting to load a font in android allegro (part 2)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Appemting to load a font in android allegro (part 2)
nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

I can't seem to post in the other thread(timeout) , so I'll try here.

I decided to tackle loading fonts in android allegro as well It's not working

In Android Studio 3 I didn't see an assets folder so I made one.

Now, if I load a font, the application will hang.

Here's my code

#SelectExpand
1#include <stdio.h> 2#include <allegro5/allegro.h> 3#include <allegro5/allegro_android.h> 4#include <allegro5/allegro_font.h> 5 6 7void goodscreen(void) 8{ 9 al_clear_to_color(al_map_rgb(0,255,0)); 10 al_flip_display(); 11 while(1); 12 13} 14 15void badscreen(void) 16{ 17 al_clear_to_color(al_map_rgb(255,0,0)); 18 al_flip_display(); 19 while(1); 20} 21 22int main(int argc, char **argv){ 23int x; 24 ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *display = NULL; 25 ALLEGRO_FONT *vl_font=NULL; 26 if(!al_init()) { 27 fprintf(stderr, "failed to initialize allegro!\n"); 28 return -1; 29 } 30 al_init_font_addon(); 31 al_android_set_apk_file_interface(); 32 al_android_set_apk_fs_interface(); 33 34 display = al_create_display(0, 0); 35 if(!display) { 36 fprintf(stderr, "failed to create display!\n"); 37 return -1; 38 } 39 vl_font = al_load_font("VL-PGothic-Regular.ttf",20,0); 40 if (vl_font == NULL) { 41 badscreen(); 42 } 43 goodscreen(); 44}

I have VL-PGothic-Regular.ttf in my assets folder, but when I run the app I don't get a red or green screen, but a black one and it hangs...

Edgar Reynaldo
Member #8,592
May 2007

nshade said:

display = al_create_display(0, 0);

What are you trying to do here? You can't set a zero resolution display.

nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

I borrowing the code from the example at the bottom of liballeg lib for Android here...

https://github.com/liballeg/android

not only that - the example works :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Member #8,592
May 2007

Setting zero width and height is unprecedented. The manual says absolutely nothing about ever doing that. I see the example does do that though, and if you say it works, fine.

Elias, that really needs to be documented.

By the way, you're not calling al_init_ttf_addon.

nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

GRRR! I forgot the ttf header. It's tricky as phone development makes you lose the printf() debug console!

Now to figure out how to lock the screen in landscape!

Edgar Reynaldo
Member #8,592
May 2007

I mean, I understand setting zero width and height if you're creating a fullscreen window, as the width and height are automatic. But you never set the new display flags, so I don't know why it would default to that. I thought default was windowed mode.

nshade said:

GRRR! I forgot the ttf header. It's tricky as phone development makes you lose the printf() debug console!

Use logcat instead. It will log to the android console.

Ian Lewis
Member #15,817
December 2014

nshade said:

Now to figure out how to lock the screen in landscape!

According to some notes I made a while back:

to force landscape add:

in AndroidManifest.xml, inside <activity>

android:configChanges="orientation|screenSize"
android:screenOrientation="landscape"

AND before you create the display, call:

al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_SUPPORTED_ORIENTATIONS,ALLEGRO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE,ALLEGRO_REQUIRE);

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Elias, that really needs to be documented.

Well, those phones only support FULLSCREEN_WINDOW mode, so technically we could either make al_create_display fail if anything else is requested or fail if width/height are anything but 0 - but instead I think we just completely ignore them.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Member #8,592
May 2007

A simple note in the docs would be good enough, as long as it states the parameters passed to al_create_display will be ignored when creating a full screen window edit, and that full screen windows are the default.

It just struck me dumb that it worked. :o

Go to: