Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Please Help me.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Please Help me.
Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

DP means Domestic Profile.

I am talking about the profile settings of the allegro forums.

Like, how you change your profile picture.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

It's the Cog icon at the top (Control Center) or click
https://www.allegro.cc/cc/
Forum settings and avatar are there around about the middle.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Can anybody tell me how can I change my DP?

Work on your clarity when you communicate.
Be as explicit as possible because good communication is very important.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Thank you, can you tell me some important libraries which I should learn after standard library. Which can help me in making my portfolio.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Modern stl has a lot going on already.
If you have a good grasp on that + boost, I mean that's good. Well boost is c++.
Most jobs use object oriented paradigmes. So master OOP.

Obviously to find a job it's more:
Angular, .Net/.Net Core... big frameworks.
C#, JS, web crap. Maybe WPF.

Also good to know the basics of functional programming.

You'll learn a whole lot by actually doing a project from start to finish though.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Will I need to learn python if I am going to work in corporate sector.

What are the basic requirements to apply for a job.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Once you're proficient in c/c++/c# learning python isn't that hard, it's actually a very high level language. I don't believe in not hiring people because they've never used x language or x framework if they have experience with an equivalent language / framework.

Have some projects to show (GitHub). Ideally actual experience, internships, or a degree in comp sci.

Know design patterns
SOLID
OOP
TDD (Test Driven Development)
Know the difference between a process and a thread
Virtual memory model
Experience with an MVC framework

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

jmasterx: I am currently doing my bachelors in computer applications.

I don't have any actual experience yet, please tell me what can I do besides projects.

Taking the suggestions of the forum members seriously, I started my first console project (installer setup creator), learned git, bash, and now doing gdb. I am in my final year and haven't done any serious projects yet, just some games in Allegro5.

If I am able to complete three projects and able to contribute in an opensource project, will that stand out?

The languages and tools I have learned till now :
1. C language.
2. C++ language (haven't completed stl yet).
3. bash.
4. Git.
5. TCL\TK.
6. XML.
7. HTML\CSS.
8. JavaScript.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Protip: C++ is far more difficult than it appears in school. You may have begun to learn the basics, but there are very well paid people that go around teaching existing professionals about the edge cases because it is far from sensible.

C is pretty easy, but until you're comfortable with multiple levels of pointers and memory management you haven't learned it. And most people complain about Git so if you learned it in a few days I'd save bravo, but odds are you haven't played with the sharp knives yet.

"Projects" won't really stand out unless they're nontrivial or generally unique. And open source contributions also won't stand out much unless they're nontrivial. You'll be better off to have many of either so there's too much noise to filter it out, but having a nontrivial project that you can demonstrate will help right out of school. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't care too much about your talents or skills. It mostly cares about who you know. That will go further than a portfolio 9 times out of 10. But a strong portfolio can help you achieve a dream job instead of just a job (or so I've heard).

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

bamccaig: I have learned and practiced C every day. I spent all day, at least 6 hours a day to become proficient in it.

I learned it from www.programiz.com and other sites which were mentioned in the thread. pointer, void pointer, function pointer, pointer to functions, dynamic allocation and all that I could get my hands on.

I completed standard library and Git.

I know that people complaint about git merge conflict and other problems but they are not that complicated, it can be resolved easily by a pull request and push the changes afterwards.

I know what you want to say, I didn't learned it overnight. I spent my 2 years in college and right now I am in my 5th semester.

I have spent days coding at hacker rank and code chef, for last two months.

The only problem is that I only spent my time at strengthening my logic, not other concepts.

I didn't give a thought on doing an actual project, that's why i am late here.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Relational databases are used in 90% of the software I've worked on in the last twenty years. (Oracle, DB2, SQLServer) You don't always use SQL directly, but a knowledge of basic concepts and vocabulary and mandatory in order to communicate with people who design or maintain the database : primary key, integrity constraints, transaction...

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Audric: Thanks, I have studied it in my 4th sem.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

You kind of sound like:
welp I studied it 1 semester, gg, relational databases: check.

There is so much more to know about SQL than what 1 semester can offer. Same for GIT, and especially C++. Do you know what an index is and why they have value? What about NoSQL solutions. Why would a key/value pair database be better for scalability than an SQL relational database? What advantages would SQL have over a key/value pair database?

Who you know is important. If you can get letters of recommendation that can really help too.

For me personally, I've gotten the job at every place I interviewed because I really knew my stuff, had a good attitude, and had a letter of recommendation from a professor.

I never heard you mention SO, but it's an incredible resource. Look at all the silly questions I asked along the way: https://stackoverflow.com/users/146780/jmasterx

The world is moving toward SaaS, distributed systems, cloud-based services and apps. So understanding scalability and distributed systems is nice too.

Also you're in your 5th semester and did not check off polymorphism from my earlier post. Do know polymorphism and understand vtables. Very important.

The number one thing: critical thinking. They don't pay you for your textbook knowledge or textbook solutions. They pay you for the innovative ideas you'll bring that we couldn't find on SO or a Google search. Think outside the box.

Doctor Cop
Member #16,833
April 2018

Once again thanks for pointing out my mistakes and I know what polymorphism is, I am learning from "The Cherno" YouTube channel.

I learned Git from Github learning lab and tutorials point. I agree, there is so much to learn from other sources and sometimes we don't even realize it.

I am catching up one by one on every reference mentioned in the thread.
Please keep helping me and showing me what there is to learn that which I don't know about.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I think you already have enough in your backlog for a little while. Piling on more will just be needlessly overwhelming.

1   2 

Go to: