Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Allegro 5.2.4 MSVC binaries? - part2

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5.2.4 MSVC binaries? - part2
APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

Hm... I see that threads still lock after a week of inactivity. This is really annoying, couldn't it be set to at least 3 weeks? The thing is that nobody here is like fulltime Allegro developer and we all have it only for our side projects... Plus, I was on vacation this week.

Anyway, to the point. I would like to continue with this thread:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/617443

Thanks @DanielH, I used the link and it works.

Note: I have updated Allegro version in this project about 10 times going from first Allegro 5 release up to the current releases. And almost everytime the font rendering changes. This is extremely annoying because I have the texts fine tuned to my GUI. Almost everytime I update, I also need to slightly reposition all the texts in my app. I know this is probably freetype's problem but... Can't we just stick with one version for a while :-D

And to continue on this thread:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/617422

@Edgar Reynaldo: This version still doesn't fix this issue I was talking about which is there for ages... When creating a window with AA it flickers like crazy.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

APrince said:

@Edgar Reynaldo: This version still doesn't fix this issue I was talking about which is there for ages... When creating a window with AA it flickers like crazy.

I don't know what you mean by an AA window. What is that? Do you mean with multisampling enabled? You have to show code. I've never seen this behavior before with Allegro 5 at all.

APrince said:

Note: I have updated Allegro version in this project about 10 times going from first Allegro 5 release up to the current releases. And almost everytime the font rendering changes. This is extremely annoying because I have the texts fine tuned to my GUI. Almost everytime I update, I also need to slightly reposition all the texts in my app. I know this is probably freetype's problem but... Can't we just stick with one version for a while :-D

There should be a way to get the exact text dimensions, and it's not bound to change at all for quite some time.

APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

Yes, I mean a window with multi sampling.

Well, I think that the issue is just so old you already forgot :-)

This is an old thread I created in 2013:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/612022

where SiegeLord mentions that he can reproduce the issue...

Later I also created this thread:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/612248

where @Peter Wang says it's been issue like forever.

I also remember discussing the problem in one of the release threads, but I cannot find it now. I think that Trent Gamblin (hope I am not mistaking him for someone else because it's too long ago, if yes, sorry for that...) said it was on his TODO list for quite some time.

The issue is still there and is tied with DirectX. I cannot however switch to OpenGL, because there was some other problem which was even worse than the flickering. But again, it's been so long, I don't really remember.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Well, I just tried it. Good news and bad. One I can't create a DX window with multi sampling enabled. I even tried ALLEGRO_REQUIRE and it still creates the driver even though it fails to enable multisampling. Two, there is no flicker.

APrince
Member #12,698
March 2011

Yes, that's the behavior I experience on like 75% computers... In most cases the multisampling doesn't work at all. In the remaining cases, it works, but flickers like crazy. I can make a video for you, but it doesn't make much sense. It just creates the window several times. On my current computer, it happens so fast that it almost doesn't matter taking only one second or so, but on older computers or laptops this is very annoying.

If I don't enable multisampling, it doesn't flicker, so it's definitely related. Also see the log I posted in one of the threads above.

I will try to find out what was the problem with OpenGL, maybe that one is fixed after those years. Anyway, it would still be good to get multisampling working with DX. Or is everyone using OpenGL renderer? Or not using Windows at all? Or not using multisamping? It's strange because it has been here as long as I remember.

I think that it did not flicker on Windows XP back then but since then, every computer had a problem with either multisampling not working at all, or with the flickering...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: