Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » MacOS X / Allegro 5.2.3 incorrect OpenGL version

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MacOS X / Allegro 5.2.3 incorrect OpenGL version
calteran
Member #16,790
January 2018

TL;DR: I'm not getting the correct OpenGL version from Allegro.

On my iMac, using an OpenGL profile viewer, I have the following specs:

#SelectExpand
1<System>Mac OS X 10.13.4 (17E139j)</System> 2<Device>iMac16,2</Device> 3<CPU>2.8 GHz Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5575R CPU @ 2.80GHz x 4</CPU> 4<Vendor>Intel Inc.</Vendor> 5<Version>4.1 INTEL-10.32.28</Version> 6<GLSLVersion>4.10</GLSLVersion> 7<Renderer>Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 6200</Renderer>

Relevant code:

#SelectExpand
2 al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW | ALLEGRO_OPENGL | ALLEGRO_OPENGL_3_0); 3 al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_SAMPLE_BUFFERS, 1, ALLEGRO_SUGGEST); 4 al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_SAMPLES, 4, ALLEGRO_SUGGEST); 5 al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_OPENGL_MAJOR_VERSION, 4, ALLEGRO_REQUIRE); 6 al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_OPENGL_MINOR_VERSION, 1, ALLEGRO_REQUIRE); 7 al_set_new_display_refresh_rate(60); 8 9 display = al_create_display(screen_width, screen_height); 10 if(!display) { 11 std::cerr << "failed to create display!" << std::endl; 12 return -1; 13 } 14 15 std::cout << "OpenGL version: " << glGetString(GL_VERSION) << std::endl;

I'm only getting version "2.1 INTEL-10.32.28" instead of 3.0 or 4.1 (either of which would seem correct to me).

I've experimented with both the ALLGRO_FULLSCREEN and ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW flags as well as including ALLEGRO_OPENGL_FORWARD_COMPATIBLE, neither of which has affected the version of my context. Any ideas? ???

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Bad news: those flags and settings are ignored, you'll always get OpenGL 2.1.
Good news: maybe I can implement this. I tried today, and got as far as creating OpenGL 4.1 context, but bitmap creation didn't work... presumably you want that working :).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

calteran
Member #16,790
January 2018

SiegeLord said:

Bad news: those flags and settings are ignored, you'll always get OpenGL 2.1.

Is that documented anywhere? I was under the impression that a display/context wouldn't be created at all if an ALLEGRO_REQUIRE condition failed.

In all honesty, you shouldn't put any special effort into updating the library for me, but I appreciate your willingness to.

Go to: