Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Video Addon

Credits go to Edgar Reynaldo for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Video Addon
Bingocat
Member #15,424
December 2013

I'm trying to load and play a video using the video addon but am having problems. It seems that al_open_video is not opening the video for whatever reason. I've tried a few different file types, but none will work. Maybe I'm just missing something with the addon.

#SelectExpand
1al_init(); 2al_init_primitives_addon(); 3if (!al_init_video_addon()) { 4 cout << "Could not initialize the video addon.\n" << endl; 5} 6al_init_font_addon(); 7al_init_ttf_addon(); 8al_init_acodec_addon(); 9al_install_mouse(); 10al_install_keyboard(); 11al_install_audio(); 12al_reserve_samples(1); 13 14ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *display = al_create_display(W_SCREEN, H_SCREEN); 15ALLEGRO_EVENT_QUEUE *event_queue = al_create_event_queue(); 16ALLEGRO_TIMER *timer = al_create_timer(1.0 / 60.0); 17ALLEGRO_VIDEO *video = al_open_video("C:/video.wmv"); 18ALLEGRO_FONT *font = al_load_font("arial.ttf", 18, NULL); 19 20if (!video) 21 cout << "ERROR WITH VIDEO" << endl;

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bingocat
Member #15,424
December 2013

Oh that explains it. Thanks!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

There was a ffmpeg backend too, but it was too messed up to keep in its current shape. It would sure be nice to support any format ffmpeg supports, but I just don't have time myself to make it happen.

Luckily though, you can still use ffmpeg to convert all your video files to .ogv, and still play them in allegro. Kind of cheating, but so what.

nshade
Member #4,372
February 2004

That's what I did. I had a MIDI file that I wanted to put into my game. I just rendered it as a wav file and converted it to ogg. The player is none the wiser.

Go to: