Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » switch FULLSCREEN on and off

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
switch FULLSCREEN on and off
taiwing
Member #16,774
December 2017

Hello everyone.

I'm currently trying to implement a fullscreen on/off function on my allegro game. It basically consists of destroying the current display and generating a new one in fullscreen mode, or in the game's native resolution if it already was in fullscreen mode.

The problem is, once I activate the function, images drawn before the new display was created can't be displayed, so I get a black screen. So I have to redraw every bitmap needed for the portion of the game I'm in for it to behave normally.

I looked in the allegro manual, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Is this problem unavoidable ?

here's the relevant portion of my code:

#SelectExpand
1//gameScreen is a structure where I store the display and the buffer of my game 2void fullScreen(gameScreen *screen) 3{ 4 if(!screen->fullScreenOnOff) 5 { 6 screen->fullScreenOnOff = true; 7 al_destroy_display(screen->display); 8 9 //I get my screen's native resolution 10 ALLEGRO_DISPLAY_MODE mode; 11 al_get_display_mode(0, &mode); 12 13 //I create a new window 14 al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW); 15 screen->display = al_create_display(mode.width, mode.height); 16 } 17 else 18 { 19 screen->fullScreenOnOff = false; 20 al_destroy_display(screen->display); 21 22 //I recreate a window in my game's resolution 23 al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_WINDOWED); 24 al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_RESIZABLE); 25 screen->display = al_create_display(SCREEN_W, SCREEN_H); 26 } 27}

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

If you are using a fullscreen window you can switch between fullscreen and windowed without having to destroy anything, eg:

// toggle fullscreen
al_set_display_flag(display, ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW, !(al_get_display_flags(display) & ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW));

taiwing
Member #16,774
December 2017

Ok thank you a lot, you reduced a non-working 25 lines function to a beautiful single line of code ;D

Go to: