Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » first time installing allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
first time installing allegro
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Well my cmake ran almost the exact same, originally I though that the ARGC_V line coming back failed could be the culprit but the check for big medium or little endians returned successfully so I assume it should not be related. I just understand why a header file would redirect me to a .cmake file. I didn't use the -j 4 option, I am not sure what that does. One thing that I can definetly say looks different is the scanning for dependencies section of you log file following you make -j4 option. when I ran the make command I jumped right into

$ make
Scanning dependencies of target allegro_monolith
[ 0%] Building C object CMakeFiles/allegro_monolith.dir/src/allegro.c.obj

only that one, but this doesn't take into account the change to the cmake prefix directory you mentioned above.

EDIT:

Ok, I will try your edit. It is likely going to be a little bit of extensive work so I am going to get some sleep and get back on it a little bit earlier than this time tommororw.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

make -j 4 instructs make to use 4 cores (it can take advantage of multi threading) so that building doesn't take as long.

I don't know what you're talking about with ARGC_V, but the reference to a missing alplatf.h file means you're linking to the source include files, and not the installed header files.

Your build went to allegro monolith first because that is the most dependent build component. Everything else depends on it, except for things like copying data, which is what my command did first due to make -j 4.

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Ok, So I was able to catch up with you. At first I was compiling with the Dev-CPP IDE but I thought I would take it to the command line. From here I am still getting the same error. It seems as though I am definitely have a problem linking. I modified my include path in both cases and still to end.

c:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>gcc -I C:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\include altest.cpp
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0x26): undefined reference to `al_install_system'
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0x73): undefined reference to `al_create_display'
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0xd1): undefined reference to `al_map_rgb'
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0xf5): undefined reference to `al_clear_to_color'
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0xfa): undefined reference to `al_flip_display'
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0x108): undefined reference to `al_rest'
C:\Users\HEADGE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccJHTXW0.o:altest.cpp:(.text+0x114): undefined reference to `al_destroy_display'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

c:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>gcc -I C:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\include -c altest.cpp

c:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>dir
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 426E-BDFE

Directory of c:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO

11/27/2016 03:01 AM <DIR> .
11/27/2016 03:01 AM <DIR> ..
11/27/2016 02:36 AM 1,525 allegro.cpp
11/26/2016 05:08 AM 528 altest.cpp
11/27/2016 03:01 AM 1,354 altest.o
3 File(s) 3,407 bytes
2 Dir(s) 95,570,718,720 bytes free

c:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>

I can build an object file but thats it it just exits from compilation early. The -c flag is supposed to run compiler and link and I'm not sure what the gcc does on its own but it debugs in the IDE to give me the same problems. I've compiled with Dev-CPP before and it works. I don't see how I could have any undefined references unless the source code on github was bad.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

-c tells gcc to compile only. You need to set the linker search directory with -L PATH_TO_LIB_FOLDER and then link to allegro using -lallegro_monolith.dll or whatever other version of allegro you want to link to. (You have to build them first, by setting -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=[Release | Debug | RelWithDebInfo | Profiling] and setting -DSHARED=[On | Off].

Undefined references means you haven't linked to allegro.

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Ok.

EDIT:
Do you mean during compilation time or before hand? I feel like if the command line is going to take that many arguments I would rather just start out by editing the lib paths under the directories tabs in the Dev-CPP IDE.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

You have to build the versions of allegro you want first, before compiling and linking against them.

EDIT
I don't know if you can get Dev-CPP to build with mingw64 from msys2. It might take some work to get the configuration settings correct, if it's even possible. Like I said, mingw64.exe sets up the correct environment to build with mingw64.

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

I though that is what I did when I ran make and make install. Do you have any suggestions on what flags to pass while doing that?

So would I use cmake as such...

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=[Release | Debug | RelWithDebInfo | Profiling] and setting -DSHARED=[On | Off].

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

I know I already built to the C:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\ directory. Did I not build all necessary dependencies then? Should I not now be complete and ready to compile with allegro?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Okay, I will inevitability want to use static, for the mean I wouldn't mind trying dynamic. Any suggestions on how to do so dynamically now so I can get a feel for how allegro looks when compiled, or any suggestions on how to build a static version? I thought that would be done.

I think I am confused about how the monolith library in implemented. I think I'm making progress.

C:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>gcc -L C:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\ -l allegro_monolith -I C:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\include altest.cpp
C:/TDM-GCC-32/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/5.1.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lallegro_monolith

C:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>

But, I'm not sure whats wrong here.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

I'm just not sure what is going on I think I may have to rebuild this yet again. I found some remnants from the old folder where I was making it originally the "x64_64..." directory that we changed to "x86_64..." and in there I actually have a monolith.dll. But in my new installation directory the "x86_64" on I don't, so I'm guess I should have said yes last time to it. I am going to figure it out..

the one in the \bin sub directory is allegro_monolith-5.2.dll

and the one in the \lib sub directory is liballegro_monolith.dll.a

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

C:\Users\headgearxthree\Desktop\ALLEGRO>gcc -L c:\msys64\mingw64\x64_64-w64-mingw32 -l liballegro_monolith.dll.a -I c:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\include altest.cpp
C:/TDM-GCC-32/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/5.1.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lliballegro_monolith.dll.a

Looks like its still not searching the file path I told it too. So I will work on this.

EDIT:

So I re-arranged my call to the compiler (i'm using the msys terminal here because I like it. I like be able to exit out and come back and use the arrow keys to recall commands. I want to build a utility like that for command prompt.)

headgearxthree@DESKTOP-PFLMU84 MINGW64 /c/users/headgearxthree/desktop/allegro
$ gcc altest.cpp -o altest -I c:\msys64\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\include -L c:\msys64\mingw64\x64_64-w64-mingw32 -lliballegro_monolith

$ dir
allegro.cpp altest.cpp altest.exe altest.o gcc

$ altest
-bash: altest: command not found

$

Believe it or not I actually built a executable. Still doesn't work properly but is definitely an improve.) Command prompt would have let me execute it from the command line but that is a disappointment here.

So I guess I am a totally noob when it comes to this whole static/binary (monolith.etc) libraries concept. I personally don't understand why I can't just compile with the source code alone. And I do not understand why I need a .dll file to do something the .h file should already be doing. Is there anyway to build a allegro library that I can use from the command line with gcc that will build portable applications? And, will I have to keep a .dll with my project all the time or is that pessimistic of me to assume?

Are .dll's system dependent?

EDIT: So I dropped a copy of allegro_monolith-5.2.dll.a into the folder on my desktop where I was compiling from and now it doesn't give me the same error...

The error I was getting was less of a console error but rather a windowed notification saying that "the program could not start be allegro_monolith-5.2 is not installed on your computer, please reinstall this program an dtry again", However once I dropped a copy of this into that folder I no longer am getting that error but now I getting 3 pop-up windows that all state something similiar, one along the lines of libFLAC-8.dll, another libDUMB.dll and another for the same thing libfreetype-6.dll.

It does not appear as if I even have any of these on my c drive. I know the msys getting started page references them but only once and no build steps.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Dependent libraries have to be specified on the command line AFTER your main program objects. Linking order matters.

You're still linking allegro wrong. To link with libNAME.a you pass -lNAME so in this case it would be -lallegro_monolith.dll .

Bash doesn't add extensions onto files. You have to run your program with the full name and a dot forward slash before it. (./altest.exe).

You can compile with the source code alone if you use static libraries, but then you have to specify every library that each library depends on. For allegro this is the following list to link statically :

-static -ldumb -lFLAC -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -lfreetype -logg -lpng16 -lzlibstatic -lgdiplus -luuid -lkernel32 -lwinmm -lpsapi -lopengl32 -lglu32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lgdi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lws2_32 -lshlwapi

Specify these libraries after you specify your program object and after you specify the allegro library you want.

.dll files are necessary because they hold all the functions that allegro provides. If you static link then those functions are included in your executable.

Those extra dlls are because the dependent libraries were compiled dynamically. You have to link to the static versions if you don't want those dependencies. You can usually find those dlls in a bin or dll subfolder of mingw.

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

But I don't have any "allegro_monolith.dll" built. Last, time I went through the steps I cam out with a bunch of dll.s but none for allegro_monolith and the times before I was getting a allegro.dll but It was called "allegro_monolith-5.2.dll". I actually did get one last time in my bin file called "allegro-5.2.dll" in my bin folder along with a bunch of other .dll files. What exactly would static linking look like? Should I just start over? I think I am going to.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

-lallegro_monolith.dll stands for "link to liballegro_monolith.dll.a". You have the right dll, it's just named with 5.2 in it. An .a file is a library archive that you link to. A .dll file is a library module that goes with your program.

You don't need to start over, unless you want to build other versions. Like the static one.

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

So when you say -lallegro_monolith.dll I should change that to -lallegro_monolith-5.2.dll or this is done automatically?

And, I would much rather build a static library. But, I can build both and both can exist simultaneously right??

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

No, when I say -lallegro_monolith.dll I mean -lallegro_monolith.dll . You're linking to the archive (*.a) file with the name liballegro_monolith.dll.a, and then at runtime you use the dll allegro_monolith-5.2.dll or whatever its named with your program.

Build the static version using cmake and then link statically, like I showed you earlier.

Yes, you can have more than one version installed at a time. But you can only build one version at a time, with specific options passed to cmake.

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Ok

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Do you know what the general command line compilation command would look like if I were to compile statically from the source code alone if I were using micro soft vs native build tools?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm not sure what you're asking me. If you're asking me how to compile from the command line statically using MSVC and cl, I have no idea. If you're asking how to compile statically using MinGW-w64 I should have showed that somewhere above.

1   2   3 

Go to: