Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Our Kickstarter :)

Credits go to anto80, bamccaig, Derezo, Edgar Reynaldo, Elias, Felix-The-Ghost, and Specter Phoenix for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Our Kickstarter :)
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's appreciated - and on the plus side, I'm pretty sure you paid less than it would be in the shops later on :)

That was what I hoped. :) That's why I kept adding the addon packages. I figured it will save me money in the long run. $105 USD ended up charging me something like $150 CAD. :o

Elias said:

That's something I never really understood with this kind of Kickstarters - it's much more like simply pre-ordering something rather than funding.

I think that the idea is that they get the funding up front to be able to do the work. They're probably losing money technically on the rewards for the backers, but if the resulting product is successful and sells to a much larger audience it should more than pay for itself. In theory.

I'm assuming the requested $200,000 was just a "home stretch" amount. Obviously the team is far too large for $200,000 to be a comfortable income for the entire team, let alone R&D. They've managed to make it as far as they did so I imagine that the KickStarter money is just a way to get them the rest of the way (maybe it was more about motivation than anything?). Or maybe it was really just a way to build up some buzz and start off with a user base?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I knew is was USD (is does say it's USD in the transaction).

I buy stuff from the US all the time, usually get it shipped to Michigan and just go across the bridge and pick it up. Even with the exchange some sites, like Monoprice and ebay, and sometimes Amazon.com, offer steeper discounts on things that are American (although usually Chinese made), because the exchange is soon reflected in the retail price locally anyway.

bamccaig said:

Which wouldn't be a problem, but for some reason I owe a bunch of money on it... I hate credit cards. They seem to intentionally delay updating the status to conceal the debt from you until it's too late.

I decided to start using a prepaid travel card, which requires that you load it up with cash FIRST. It's $7.95/year, offers no rewards, and all that whole idea of a credit card being "debt" vanishes.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

1   2 

Go to: