Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Please critique my photos

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Please critique my photos
SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I recently had one of my photos featured at a local art gallery and I'm wanting to submit more photos to other upcoming events/galleries. But I thought I'd get some more feedback before I submit anything or try to capture more photos before the deadline.

Any feedback would be welcome!

Sunrise over Big Lake, OR with Mt. Washington looming in the background.
{"name":"610463","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/2\/729504c181326592048757278ff63d5c.jpg","w":1920,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/2\/729504c181326592048757278ff63d5c"}610463

Fern Ridge Lake, OR in infrared using a 720nm filter.
{"name":"610464","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb3b82de0a1faa9dd27ddb49b0518464.jpg","w":1920,"h":1280,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb3b82de0a1faa9dd27ddb49b0518464"}610464

Lava Cast Forest, OR in infrared using a 720nm filter.
{"name":"610465","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8f9ba33e0d7ee102e990cc46202af795.jpg","w":1920,"h":1280,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8f9ba33e0d7ee102e990cc46202af795"}610465

North America Nebula which is located in the Cygnus constellation.
{"name":"610466","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/e\/fe22b969c9daba73e3ffccf6774eacc3.jpg","w":1280,"h":1920,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/e\/fe22b969c9daba73e3ffccf6774eacc3"}610466

Praying mantis making its way along a carnation stem.
{"name":"610467","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81bbe6f78dd71b6fdf03b65a6344ee11.jpg","w":1920,"h":1280,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81bbe6f78dd71b6fdf03b65a6344ee11"}610467

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Horrible! I think there was a leaf out of place on the first one not to mention the others.

J/K Incredible! Good work!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I like the infrared ones.

There's something off in the nebula picture, as if the color channels aren't aligned with each other and some of the stars have a weird black halo around them.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Globally it's good work and nice photos.
I wasn't going to write some critics, but you asked for some.
Not easy, because it's good work, so it's going to be a matter of preference more than real problems.

1) more details on the forest hill on the background. It's somewhat blurry while the mountain isn't
2) the grass look a bit overexposed
3) maybe a bit more exposition ? I had to find something ;-)
4) that's an incredible shoot. Maybe more contrast/saturation or strengthen details on post processing ? Just to make it look more 'in focus'
5) crop it a bit to cut part of the overexposed flower and bring more attention on the insect ?

Really, these are good photos.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I think they're all good. I like the range of color and brightness in the first photo. The second photo is just cool bc it's infrared and it gives an alien look to it. I agree with Gully on the fifth one. You could crop out the pink part of the carnation entirely and it would still be a strong photo. I think it would take some of the distraction away from the mantis itself. Are you on Instagram at all?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This is amateur critique, but the only one that I don't like is the last one and only because it seems like so little of the photograph is in focus. Most of it is blurry and the mantis itself has very bland colors. Most of them though look like something I'd be happy to have as a desktop background. The nebula one isn't overly interesting to me though and nothing about the photograph pops, but it has to be somewhat impressive to just get such detail from something so far away.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Very nice, all just grand.

If I try to leech, I'd like thicker focus depth on the insect, so that all of it's body is visible. Guess it's smart the flower is blurry though.

What was the post processing if you don't mind to share?

P.S:
Are you a professional photographer?

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Siegelord: The color balance was adjusted on my end to emphasize the H-alpha (red) since it is an emission nebula. As for the halos, that's most likely because of the sharpening I applied. It's a tricky balancing act.

Gulladriel: I agree with most of your critiques. As for the nebula, I only had 90min of exposure which might explain the softness. I plan on getting a few more hours of exposure which should help sharpen it.

Edgar: I have an old account that I haven't posted to in a while. I've thought about adding an instagram and facebook page for my photos. I already have a deviant account (http://springfieldshtos.deviantart.com/).

Type: I was trying to draw attention to just the upper torso of the mantis since, as other have said, it's fairly boring in terms of colors. Plus, I was already shooting at f18. Any higher and I'd just be getting soft photos. For some reason it never occurred to me to crop out the flower...

I use Photoshop for all my post-processing (along with several other tools for my space shots). I've gotten quite fond of Google's Nik plugins to help refine what I can do with ACR and the standard tools.

I don't consider myself to be a professional photographer or my photos as professional quality. Thanks a lot for the comments

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

May I ask what do you use to shoot the nebula ?

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I use a Skywatcher ProED 80mm telescope with field flattener/reducer and a full spectrum modified Canon T3i. I have it all mounted on a Celestron CG-4 mount.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks !8-)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I use a Skywatcher ProED 80mm telescope with field flattener/reducer and a full spectrum modified Canon T3i. I have it all mounted on a Celestron CG-4 mount.

& he doesn't consider himself a pro..

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

& he doesn't consider himself a pro..

If you don't get paid for it, then you're not a professional, no matter how good you are.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Similarly, getting paid for it and therefore being a professional doesn't mean you know what you're doing or are any good at it. ;)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

That's an interesting definition. The words is translated to essentially identical word in Russian(прoфессиoнал), which also sounds similarly. But it carries slightly different meaning I guess. You can be "a professional" at something, which rather means you're good at it than get paid for it, in Russian. I'd say it's true also for Hebrew, although the sound is completely different.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Most people understand "professional" to mean you're good at it in English too, but it's a misconception. In practice, it just means you get paid to do it. There's no regulation of the terminology. You can claim to be a professional without getting paid for it too. As far as I know it carries no legal obligations. It means basically nothing. Still it's common in the US, Canada, and presumably other countries that include English as an official language for people to advertise or defend based on the premise that they're "professionals". It probably should stand to reason that if you do a particular job for a living that you're good at it, but in practice that's not true in the West; presumably not anywhere.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

IN other words, legally it isn't. I understand now.

Go to: