Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Can this crack an IPhone?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Can this crack an IPhone?
superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Many may be aware that the government wants to put a limit on the strength of encryption in the name of national security.

Could this super computer crack an iphone's encryption?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/209704-chinas-tianhe-2-still-the-fastest-supercomputer-in-the-world-but-the-us-is-catching-up

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It seems a bit silly to invest in the fastest computer in the world. It'll only last a couple of months before it's surpassed.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You could use all the computing power in the world and it would still take trillions of years to break a 128-bit key.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Scientists have discovered that prime numbers are more likely to end in one digit than the other three common ones. I wonder if that will impact encryption.

http://gizmodo.com/mathematicians-discovered-something-super-freaky-about-1764839266

Quote:

The mathematicians made the discovery while performing a randomness check on the first hundred million primes. Within that set, a prime ending in 1 is followed by another ending in 1 just 18.5 percent of the time. That shouldn’t happen if they were truly random—we should expect to see this happen 25 percent of the time (keep in mind that primes can only end in 1, 3, 7, or 9). So while this isn’t a pattern—it’s also not totally perfectly random. In terms of the back-to-back distribution of the other numbers, primes ending in 3 and 7 appeared 30 percent of the time, and consecutive 9s appears about 22 of the time. Importantly, this observation has nothing to do with the base-10 numbering system, and is something inherent to primes themselves.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

Importantly, this observation has nothing to do with the base-10 numbering system, and is something inherent to primes themselves.

I love hearing about mathematical phenomenon that are not related to base. 8-) I wish I had an inherit understanding of numbers that wasn't grounded in base-10.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think if you forced yourself to use it, you could. Like "immersion" training when learning a new language. Using it every day and communicating with others.

I'm not sure what the practical use it would be for most people though. Bitwise problems seem less important as computers become faster and faster.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Thanks for sharing that article Mark about the prime numbers. For me it just adds t the wealth of evidence showing an intelligent design or God's hand behind the laws that govern our universe, and that all this did not come about by some random accident.

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Go to: