Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Packaging a Ubuntu application which uses Allegro 5.1

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Packaging a Ubuntu application which uses Allegro 5.1
Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

I want to make Ubuntu packages for my Allegro-based game engine, minisphere, but the official Allegro packages for Ubuntu are for 5.0 (5.1 is only available through a PPA). What would be the best way to go about packaging a program based on Allegro 5.1 that wouldn't require the end-user to do anything extra on the command line?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Is there a way to just submit the newer, proper Allegro to Ubuntu?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Is that something I can do? I figured SiegeLord would have had to do that.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The issue is that they will most likely want the stable packages. And even if we had an up-to-date stable release, then it'd take up to a year for it to percolate through to Ubuntu (as the current Allegro package resides in Debian).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

In that case I guess the best way to go about it would be to static-link Allegro and dynamically link all its dependencies (FLAC, vorbis, etc.). Unfortunately I can't easily backport to Allegro 5.0 since I rely on the new features (shaders, etc.)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

How are you planning on distributing your package? Perhaps you could bundle the Allegro package alongside of it?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

The 3.0 release of minisphere is still a ways off (have to do a lot more work on the debugger), so I haven't fleshed everything out, but I'm thinking I'll likely just distribute a .deb package for download, the same way I do for my Windows .exe installer now.

I'm not yet totally familiar with the Debian packaging system yet, I've only skimmed the tutorials so far. Can you really nest a package inside another package like that?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

No, I was thinking of making a mini-installer and bundling the relevant packages into it (or even making the installer add the ppa itself, although that's a bit questionable). Yet another option would be to make a ppa yourself and copy Allegro's packages into it (not sure how that works in practice, but it should in principle be possible).

Ultimately, and unfortunately, it might be easiest to bundle the Allegro libraries directly, statically linked or otherwise.

Go to: