Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » No Man's Sky

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
No Man's Sky
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"609784","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/385507f00118ee397ab652ead0159df4.jpg","w":1500,"h":844,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/385507f00118ee397ab652ead0159df4"}609784

video

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Lísias de Castro
Member #14,882
January 2013

It is so fucked. I would like to be able doing a game like that. Pretty cool. :D ;D 8-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I wonder how... If it's all generated real-time, there must be a mathematical foundation that is translated into worlds.

I'm trying to figure out how it would all work... I could understand how nothing can ever be stored on disk if the universe was not interfered with. As in, the universe created is like a "artistic rendition" of the Mandelbrot set. That's a cool idea, but that would have to be persistent.

So when he destroyed that asteroid at the beginning of the video, does it remain destroyed for the remainder of the universe? or is it discarded when he is out of range? Can you permanently alter a planet's ecosystem by removing all Colbisions?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

To be fair, the guy was probably on camera for one of the first few times in his life and might have misspoken when he said "it's not stored on disk". I mean, yeah, the entire universe probably doesn't exist on disk to start, but it's probably stored on disk as its generated. Otherwise, how could it be reproduced in a meaningful way?

A facsimile with the same attributes could be generated. Even the exact same "initial state" could be regenerated every time it is visited anew, but if they expect to be able to have the game state persist then it'll need to store events or the results of events in some form on disk... Or just have a whole lot of RAM and hope there's never a power outage that drains the battery backups...

???

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I think it contains more prebuilt parts than he's letting on. There were wings, legs, tails, heads and horns on those animals, and there was grass, rain and mud, all approximated using standard computer graphics techniques. The rest is probably seeded pseudo-random generation, which goes all the way back to Elite.

Within those constraints, it does look technically impressive. Good, enduring gameplay? Not so sure. If the naming mechanic is the only point, and the universe is so big that you won't see other people, then the interaction will only take place on the leaderboards. Why don't those animals react to you in some way to make things a bit more interesting?

These are things they could still work on, if they have the right mindset. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

^ This. I was more or less thinking the same thing. When he said it's improbable that you'll encounter anybody else I kind of facepalmed... I mean, sure, in the real universe it might be that way if you happen to go exploring far away... But odds are that will get boring for anything other than some objective (i.e., go mine X and it takes a while to find it, but it's lucrative when you do!). There didn't seem to be much interesting things to do on the planet. And space travel just for space travel would be boring quickly. It's intriguing, especially if there's any truth in how he described how the universe comes into existence, but I think they've still got to figure out how to make it fun.

Go to: