Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Windows 7 Update's uncancellable restart countdown >:E

Credits go to bamccaig and Felix-The-Ghost for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Windows 7 Update's uncancellable restart countdown >:E
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I'm sure anyone who has used Windows 7 is familiar with that box saying your computer will restart in 15 minutes unless you notice the box and click Cancel, and, like me, has gone into the registry and disabled the countdown so that it reminds you but waits for you to confirm you're ready to restart.

Today, the box is back, and this time it can't be cancelled. What I can do (and have done) is end the task by force and stop the Windows Update service (cmd as Administrator; net stop wuauserv).

I appreciate that this is all a result of a war being fought at a higher level - make sure most computers restart so that the current lot of viruses find them less tasty - but it still cheeses me off. >:(

[EDIT]
Seems to be KB2952664, which has already been in the news for botchage: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2945412/microsoft-windows/windows-nagware-patches-kb-2952664-and-2976978-install-repeatedly.html
So, my computer is having a forced restart imposed on it for Windows 10 marketing purposes. Well done Microsoft, you just made my mind up about that one. >:(>:(>:(

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Press the Windows key to open the start menu then type "update"

Select Windows Update in the programs list, then click "change settings" on the left

Change "Install updates automatically" to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them"

Click OK and it'll take you back to the previous page, click "installed updates" on the bottom-left

After the list populates, Right click on KB2952664 KB3035583 and select uninstall to remove the Windows 10 nag

:)

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I don't mind the Windows 10 thing being there. What bothers me is the forced restart. ;)

I might do what you suggested, but normally I don't mind updates being installed automatically.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: