Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New composition: GRAAAAARRRRRRR

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New composition: GRAAAAARRRRRRR
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It's up :)

{"name":"maxresdefault.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/0\/a0534ae67c99214a42b0c526e6ca7c10.jpg","w":3000,"h":1688,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/0\/a0534ae67c99214a42b0c526e6ca7c10"}maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oJ9D_C11pY

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/615226
Sorry bambams, I used an annotation :P

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Sounds like an adventure puzzle game sound track.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I like it a lot. I broke the ice on it. >:(

It occurred to me that your name is rather a mouthful or handsful for us on this side of the pond. Perhaps it would be beneficial if you included a nickname somewhere (e.g., in the description or in the video intro/outro) so that people in other parts of the world can more easily reference you. :) Obviously professionally you may want to be known by your actual formal name, but YouTube isn't really a formal setting. What should people call you on YouTube? The full Wlasdfj-Davis or is there something shorter and easier to spell? :P

These are just my thoughts... Not sure it matters. I was tempted to comment something like "Good job, Bruce!" or "Good job, Ben!" Of course, I don't know if you would want to mix and match these identities (other than you posting here, of course). I'm not sure you care about the American audiences anyway, but I digress.

This is a good video. I hope that it gets you some attention. Everybody share it!

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Reminds me of an another video:

video

Really, when at the end they throw the violin case out of the car i had tears in the eyes (could sell this at ebay ... ;D )

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

piccolo said:

Sounds like an adventure puzzle game sound track.

I thought a boss battle if anything. ???

bamccaig said:

I like it a lot. I broke the ice on it. >:(

Thank you :)

video

Quote:

It occurred to me that your name is rather a mouthful or handsful

True, it's a consideration, but then, there's a long history of that in classical music. I think it makes sense to maintain a consistent identity for my music. You're right not to call me Bruce over there ;)

Quote:

for us on this side of the pond.

Love it ;D

Striker said:

Reminds me of an another video:

Not sure I can see the similarity myself. Do you find my notes arousing? :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

For me noob its all "classical music". But interesting, both videos have almost the same length. 8-)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Striker said:

But interesting, both videos have almost the same length. 8-)

Lots of my songs end up being exactly 4:20 in length. :o But it's not really intentional.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

But it's not really intentional.

that's the weed talking.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Dammit bambams! You cursed my annotation ;) I just assumed it didn't appear as a link for me because I was me and you can't subscribe to yourself, but it turns out that when YouTube asked me to specify the username for people to subscribe to, that wasn't optional and I had to copy and paste the channel hash (UCGUqU00M89nIZtgvqGWJ87g) in there. I wonder how many people wanted to subscribe so far and couldn't figure out how ;) ;D :P

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yes, the annotation was sorted out in the end 8-)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Great piece! I just played the video for my pupils. Only positive comments. Is there a structural idea? Other than the obvious repeat in the beginning?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Thank you - I'm touched :) Are they pupils of composition?

Perhaps Rondo if anything. It developed organically though. The opening does come back but with sixths instead of fifths.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

They were just ordinary 8th grade pupils. First I played Für Elise for them and they got introduced to the rondo form. One girl asked if contemporary music is written in the same way, i.e. you decide what structure to use and then you fill it with music. At that point I remember this composition of yours and played it for them. I gave them the task to listen to Für Elise and mark the time of each section. And I told them that we would listen to your composition once again, after I had analysed the structure of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You're dealing with a sample set of one. I decided to compose a cadenza for Mozart 24 a while ago while I was learning it, and my teacher encouraged me to plan the harmonic progressions for the whole thing first and put the ornamentation in later. I just stuck to my proven 'technique', which is to keep trying stuff until something works without really planning anything, and we were both very happy with the result: I think it's more distinctive and more 'me' than it would have been otherwise. The upshot is that different people obviously work in different ways.

Depending on how detailed an analysis you want to do, one thing you could point out is how some parts of it amount to two-bar phrases while others are mostly three-bar phrases with the odd one padded out to four (or made end-heavy, as in a 1 and a 2 instead of a 2 and a 1). I think the overall effect I achieved was that the bits with two- or four-bar phrases have the most agenda and direction, while the bits with three-bar phrases are more erratic.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: