Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » productivity enhancement hints

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski, bamccaig, Bob Keane, Dizzy Egg, Edgar Reynaldo, Johan Halmén, Michael Faerber, Onewing, Paul whoknows, pkrcel, Polybios, and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
productivity enhancement hints
pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later.

Sig meat! but...is this yours johan? I'd like to credit correctly :P

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Just focus on your task. What else ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Get yourself a boss and I guarantee your productivity will start to increase.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

pkrcel, yes, that's what I came up with after reading Dennis' post. But google for it. I'm pretty good at re-inventing the wheel. Unintentionally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

My idle time spent on /r/cringe is somehow unfulfilling. My idle time spent on allegro.cc tends to bring me things like that article of Michael's. On this basis, I recommend keeping allegro.cc open :)

By the way, occasionally I manage to spend a Saturday, Sunday or both working on a game at home, and when I do, I often find that being on IRC gives me the feeling that there are other people out there, and that makes it worth doing things. So closing IRC is not necessarily good advice in all situations. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

pkrcel, yes, that's what I came up with after reading Dennis' post. But google for it. I'm pretty good at re-inventing the wheel. Unintentionally.

No need to, it'a hell of a reinvention.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If I'm working on web apps, I put my web browser on a second monitor, using full screen mode. Don't get distracted by notifications from email, chat, etc.

(For Firefox, the Autohide Toolbar extension helps since the default animation that happens when you temporarily unhide the toolbar by moving the mouse to top is horrible.)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

IRC

Ughh... when I was working on a tessellation shader for the Dolphin project, IRC was the only way to reach the developers. Try meeting up with random dudes from Germany working on a project in their space time. Talk about frustrating! Half the time the only replies I got were, "Oh... I don't know anything about the shaders. You need X, who is never online."

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

IRC is an excellent way to communicate, but most hackers are happy to communicate via mail and groups/projects generally have a mailing list.. IRC is the preferred way to communicate in real-time. Mailing lists are the preferred way to communicate in virtual time. Or Web forums for Windows-oriented developers. :-X

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I did rather well with KDE4's Activities. They are like virtual desktops, except a higher level, since they even include virtual desktop state. I had one for "personal" and "work". when switched into work, my personal browsing, and projects, and (eventually) mail/chat stuff would be hidden, and work stuff shown. It's even possible to "suspend" an activity, so kde will stop/start processes in an activity on demand if needed.

It's pretty neat, but its taken a long time to be completely implemented (assuming it has been, I haven't seen the necessary features in kmail to hide specific folders or email accounts yet, but I haven't looked yet).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Due to recent thoughts I might add that "productivity enhancement" is equal parts of doing what you want to do (e.g. making games because you enjoy it rather than because you think you'll get rich), and "grokking in the fullness of time" (having patience to understand bone deep).

For instance, last night I tried getting into shaders, and stumbled over deprecated functions such as ftransform(). It took me awhile to get past the habit of thinking of GL_MODELVIEW matrices and friends to understanding that you have to construct your own matrices. I thought "geez that's a lot of work and googling" until it bubbled up from my subconcious that I had a wealth of code to transform quaternions directly to OGL matrices and the transform was simply sticking the X, Y, Z translation into indexes 12, 13 and 14. Once I got past that, I remembered my old software rendering stuff from 10 years ago (which I did because I enjoy such a thing) and presto! I simply had to substitute the mulmat4 stuff for the GLSL equivalents (although I could ignore the Sutherland-Hodgman clipping).

Disclaimer: I'm drunk again. :-/

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

When I hang out in IRC there is either silence (which is depressing) or talk (which is distracting). :P

here's another one: don't hang out on deviantArt all day, replying to each and every fav and comment you may receive on your stuff as that quickly turns into a full time job (also, it blows up ego, easily gets to your head and pressures you into thinking you need to quickly make even more and even better stuff to meet any expectations and then you just really quickly burn out under the (imagined) pressure when you realize that a day only has that many hours)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

Disclaimer: I'm drunk again. :-/

Is that why you passed the parameters to 'substitute' the wrong way round? ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Is that why you passed the parameters to 'substitute' the wrong way round?

I didn't even notice that. I'm just now getting past the "wander around the house while my head asplode" part. Just a few minutes ago I realized I can get rid of all the matrix pushing and popping while switching to/from perspective matrices to orthogonal for 3d with al_draw_text().

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

1   2 

Go to: