Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Thread problem

Credits go to someone972 for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread problem
DailyDose
Member #15,528
March 2014

Hello,

I've been learning about threads recently and tried to make a function that would create and return a thread given an instance of a class where there are the cond, the mutex, and the variables for my thread. The problem is when creating one thread with this function, the program either crashes immediately after running or runs smoothly but then crashes on close. And when I try to create two threads with it it seems to be stuck in the following loop,

#SelectExpand
1while(!data.ready){ 2 al_wait_cond(data.cond, data.mutex); 3}

I've tried changing many things in my code but to no avail and tried to look around but not much luck either there. So here is the code in my thread.cpp file excluding headers, etc:

#SelectExpand
1void *Func_Thread(ALLEGRO_THREAD *thr, void *arg){ 2 3 DATA *data = (DATA*) arg; 4 float num = 0.1; 5 int i = 0; 6 7 al_lock_mutex(data->mutex); 8 bool a_bool = data->a_bool; 9 bool b_bool = data->b_bool; 10 bool c_bool = data->c_bool; 11 bool d_bool = data->d_bool; 12 bool e_bool = data->e_bool; 13 data->ready = true; 14 al_broadcast_cond(data->cond); 15 al_unlock_mutex(data->mutex); 16 17 while(!al_get_thread_should_stop(thr)){ 18 19 al_lock_mutex(data->mutex); 20 21 if(a_bool){ 22 23 } 24 25 if(b_bool){ 26 27 } 28 29 if(c_bool){ 30 31 } 32 33 if(d_bool){ 34 35 } 36 37 if(e_bool){ 38 39 } 40 41 al_unlock_mutex(data->mutex); 42 43 al_rest(thread_delay); 44 45 } 46 47 48 return NULL; 49} 50 51ALLEGRO_THREAD* create_thread(DATA data, bool a, bool b, bool c, bool d, bool e, int thread_number){ 52 53 ALLEGRO_THREAD* thread_o = NULL; 54 thread_o = al_create_thread(Func_Thread, &data); 55 al_start_thread(thread_o); 56 al_lock_mutex(data.mutex); 57 while(!data.ready){ 58 al_wait_cond(data.cond, data.mutex); 59 } 60 al_unlock_mutex(data.mutex); 61 62 al_lock_mutex(data.mutex); 63 data.a_bool = a; 64 data.b_bool = b; 65 data.c_bool = c; 66 data.d_bool = d; 67 data.e_bool = e; 68 data.ready = false; 69 al_unlock_mutex(data.mutex); 70 71 return thread_o; 72 73}

The class I'm using is the same as the one from the tutorial but with more bools. In the main code I have this:

#SelectExpand
1DATA data; 2 3ALLEGRO_THREAD* thread_1 = NULL; 4thread_1 = create_thread(data, true, false, false, false, false, 0)

Thanks for the read,
DailyDose

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

Probably the main problem is that you are passing a copy of the DATA object in your create_thread function. This means the address that is being passed to the Func_Thread actually points to the copy on the stack from the create_thread, which is destroyed as soon as create_thread exits. You should instead pass in a pointer to the data object.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

DailyDose
Member #15,528
March 2014

Thanks for the reply, it fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes.

Go to: