Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » And now it's global COOLING

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
And now it's global COOLING
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

And now it's global COOLING! Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/And-global-COOLING-Return-Arctic-ice-cap-grows-29-year.html

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Oh noes it's teh ice age!!!!!!11

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The question is, how long will that ice stick around? The general trend is for all the old ice to melt, and leave short lived temporary stuff that'll melt right away. Also its winter. And the weather has been more volatile as of late. We'll see how the ice sheet does in the summer.

Quote:

Some eminent scientists now believe the world is heading for a period of cooling that will not end until the middle of this century – a process that would expose computer forecasts of imminent catastrophic warming as dangerously misleading.

[citation needed]

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Global warming will be followed with an ice age.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

It's the Daily Fail. Anything they write on climate change can be safely disregarded as one of "misinterpreted", "misrepresented" or "just plain made up". :P

As usual, Peter Hadfield has an excellent debunking of this:

video

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Inserting a large amount of gas in an atmosphere may result in global cooling or warming or cooling and warming in different areas. As everyone knows, gases are chaotic, in the sense that a few particles can affect the outcome at almost 100%. We cannot model the interactions between their particles 100% due to the lack of processing power, so we have no idea if the introduction of gases in the atmosphere will result in global cooling, global warming, or both.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

And the sciencey-sounding bullshit award goes to...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Global warming, an increase in the average temperature globally.

To increase an average, all values need not grow, neither is an increase impossible if some of the values decrease.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Inserting a large amount of bugs in an application may result in global increase of errors or decrease or increase and decrease in different areas. As everyone knows, bugs are chaotic, in the sense that a few mistakes can affect the outcome at almost 100%. We cannot model the interactions between their consequences 100% due to the lack of processing power, so we have no idea if the introduction of bugs in the application will result in global increase of errors, global decrease, or both.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Southern USA gets 2 inches of snow and all mayhem breaks loose. :P

I get that they don't have many plows, etc, but ... getting stranded on highways for the entire day? ::)

The ice age is here. And I blame Canada. >:(

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

When I get cold I put the heating on. Sometimes it's too hot so I turn the heating off. Sometimes I wake up and it's cold, so I put the heating on, but then when I get out of the shower I'm too hot, so I turn it off again.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

When I get cold I put the heating on. Sometimes it's too hot so I turn the heating off. Sometimes I wake up and it's cold, so I put the heating on, but then when I get out of the shower I'm too hot, so I turn it off again.

This is why I have a digital programmable thermostat. I have it set to keep it around 19c during the day, and a bit cooler at night.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

NiteHackr said:

And now it's global COOLING!

It's never been about warmth, it's been about climate change.

{"name":"giss2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d9497915b06185547ed87097da107174.jpg","w":1024,"h":667,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/9\/d9497915b06185547ed87097da107174"}giss2.jpg

Note the trend line, that's the important part.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Anybody can create a graph.

Cold    | X
        |
Colder  |        X
        |
Coldest |               X
--------+---------------------
         Sat    Sun    Mon

This has been the trend here. Ice age. >:(

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

I call BS on the global part, we had like 3 heat weaves so far this summer... the worst one we experienced 50 ºC (~122 ºF). >:(

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Ignore that cold outside folks, you can trust us when we tell you that things are getting warmer, after all, we have a graph, when you're through shivering, you may want to check it out! ;)

LMAO...

---

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Elias said:

Inserting a large amount of bugs in an application may result in global increase of errors or decrease or increase and decrease in different areas. As everyone knows, bugs are chaotic, in the sense that a few mistakes can affect the outcome at almost 100%. We cannot model the interactions between their consequences 100% due to the lack of processing power, so we have no idea if the introduction of bugs in the application will result in global increase of errors, global decrease, or both.

That's true only if your application is chaotic, like the weather.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

NiteHackr said:

Ignore that cold outside folks, you can trust us when we tell you that things are getting warmer, after all, we have a graph, when you're through shivering, you may want to check it out! ;)

LMAO...

Half a degree Celsius increase in the last 35 years, according to the graph posted by Katko up there. If you think you'd have such an excellent sensory perception and memory not clouded by bias (eg: remembering more the day at the beach or on the mountains), you probably aren't human. The difference in temperature between two average neighboring days (in one place) is more than half a degree generally. This is why people who follow data laugh at people who change their opinions with the weather.

Do you think the data is forged? Why not visit a temperature station or 50? If there is really such a convoluted multi-decade worldwide plot to, uh, plant some windmills or something then I'll join you in the depths of the mines on the moon wishing I'd also worn a tin-foil hat.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I feel 35 years is still too small a sample. Perhaps if we looked at the last 200 years we would see a bit of a sine wave that has a positive slope every 100 years and negative every other 100 years.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

jmasterx said:

I feel 35 years is still too small a sample. Perhaps if we looked at the last 200 years we would see a bit of a sine wave that has a positive slope every 100 years and negative every other 100 years.

{"name":"NH_Temp_Reconstruction.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38eb3f87b9e8edcd056fca72a314e443.gif","w":500,"h":257,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38eb3f87b9e8edcd056fca72a314e443"}NH_Temp_Reconstruction.gif
(Mann, 2008)

NiteHackr said:

Ignore that cold outside folks, you can trust us when we tell you that things are getting warmer

{"name":"cold.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/c\/ac42b35eaa0a381fe6fb1502c8e0f0ee.png","w":537,"h":543,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/c\/ac42b35eaa0a381fe6fb1502c8e0f0ee"}cold.png
(xkcd: Cold)

video

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Pure fucking bullshit!

In 2012 there was what was referred to as a mini-iceage in Europe it got so cold. Even some deserts got snow that year.

Last year, 2013, the snow where I live lasted longer than I remember us ever having, well into spring and our summer was proably the coolest I remember.

This year we have broken records where I live for cold temperatures so no... they HAVEN'T ALWAYS HAPPENED IN THE PAST!!! That is pure bullshit! It has NEVER been -25C here for several days in a row (two weeks of this now, only today getting closer to seasonal which is normally around -5C!).

Global warming is a HOAX, and man made global warming is especially false.

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

;D.

--

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

NiteHackr said:

This year we have broken records where I live for cold temperatures so no... they HAVEN'T ALWAYS HAPPENED IN THE PAST!!! That is pure ! It has NEVER been -25C here for several days in a row (two weeks of this now, only today getting closer to seasonal which is normally around -5C!). Global warming is a HOAX, and man made global warming is especially false.

Don't look at this so narrowly. You have to have data over a long period of time to see if we have global warming or not.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

video

--

1   2   3   4 

Go to: