Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Allegro 5 Android Binaries

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 Android Binaries
Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Release Info and Download

Thanks to some recent changes in the Android port of Allegro 5, it is now possible to use it without having to rebuild it for every project.

Building Allegro 5 for Android can be a real headache. I spent many hours fiddling with things and running into issues that I ended up wasting a lot of time trying to work out.

In order to spare others the pain I went through, I am going to try and provide binaries. Here is my first attempt at packaging these up:

Allegro 5.1.git Android Binaries

These binaries are for a fully configured Allegro with all optional things enabled that actually work. Unfortunately, FLAC support is missing due to frequent crashing problems with libogg on Android. This also means the video add-on uses FFMPEG instead of Theora. You still get Ogg Vorbis support through Tremor. The video add-on is untested.

The binary package includes the Allegro example project, slightly modified to make it easier to set up your own project. The includes are also included. These need to be copied to your {ANDROID_NDK_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT}/user/armeabi-v7a/include in order for your code to be able to use them.

Using These Binaries

1. Make sure you have installed the Android NDK and SDK.

2. Make sure the header files are installed to {ANDROID_NDK_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT}/armeabi-v7a/user/include. You should have {ANDROID_NDK_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT}/armeabi-v7a/user/include/allegro5/*.h.

3. Copy your source files into the template/jni folder and modify LOCAL_SRC_FILES on line 88 of Android.mk to include all of your source files.

4. Uncomment all of the add-ons you are using in Android.mk, Application.mk, and src/org/liballeg/example/ExampleActivity.java.

5. Insert this line at the top of Android.mk: ANDROID_NDK_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT := path_to_your_ndk_toolchain, replacing path_to_your_ndk_toolchain with the actual path to the root of your NDK toolchain.

Goals

My goal with this and subsequent releases is to carry on the spirit of Allegro by making the Android port as easy as possible to set up and use. One of the things that drew me to Allegro was that it was really easy to get started and didn't require me to learn the ins and outs of a particular platform.

With that in mind, I am asking for your thoughts, or suggestions on what I can do to improve this package. If this project turns out well, I intend to release binary packages of this kind for each version of Allegro released.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Thanks for this. I can see the binaries coming in useful after reading so many threads where people are having problems building for Android.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

A very big thank you, although I managed to purloin some android allegro binaries from elsewhere, it took more trickery than it should of, and had your binaries been available I would of saved myself days of jiggery-pokery.
I will try out your binaries in the near future, and again on behalf of the many others who like me found building the allegro android libraries a royal pain in the backside, THANKS.

www.justanotherturn.com

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Yhea man! Good one!

Go to: