Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So... What Are You All Doing on 13/~1/2020?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
So... What Are You All Doing on 13/~1/2020?
pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

There's something in the human psyche that makes you not want to pay anywhere near retail for something you perceive as "used".

True, but I digress...

I was simply pointing out that it is base price that's inflated, and the value is way lower, in automotive just like in many other fields.

There's also flavor: I'd pay Kilobucks for a top-notch TV, but couldn't care less for my shoes (while in the end I also pay sound figures for those, meh)

You'd think my wife is at the opposite end of the spectrum.....of course she is!

So, price is what most ones are willing to pay (too bad most for of my customers that is DAMN close to zero).

EDITed for proper quoting.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I have never heard of value just halving when you drive off the lot.

It drops 15-20% sure, but halved? Hardly. You could still sell for more than half the original price even after a year, two if you do good maintenance.

It loses value but not quite as fast as you think.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Well, okay, cut off taxes and that's half, at least here.

Anyway I just think it was an hyperbolic expression, we often use it also in Italy where in the proper context "halved" may be generalized (hyperbole) into "severely reduced" even if not quite halved.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

@ kris Asick
claiming via a collection agency for something I don't owe you is a sure way to get in court.

as a certain cable company will find out soon... verry soon that is

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Ariesnl said:

claiming via a collection agency for something I don't owe you is a sure way to get in court.

If the water heater rental company wants to waste excessive amounts of money paying someone to take me to court just to try and collect a measly $170 which again, I don't owe them, then it's just an even greater example of their spectacularly inept ability to run themselves. :P

I've been in a courtroom before. I've testified as a witness before. I don't fear it. Heck, that was even for a criminal case. $170 would be small claims so I wouldn't even have to pay for a lawyer, so even if the water heater rental company was able to somehow prove I owe them $170, I'd be down $170 and they'd be down hundreds to thousands for the cost of paying someone to take me to court in the first place.

Thus win or lose, they'd be expediting their ultimate demise, and that would be better for everyone. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Here if you loose you pay for the court cost..
So it's a good way to threaten malicous companies not to send false bills and even more claiming them.

If you try to rip me (or rob me) I'll put you out of bussiness

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Even if I lost and by default would be required to pay for the cost of the water heater rental company to take me to court, I actually have a valid argument against that: I already sent a letter to the water heater rental company over a month ago saying I'd be willing to pay the amount if they could provide a breakdown of the cost and produce signed documents indicating I'd be responsible for it.

This is exactly the same thing they'd have to do in the court room to prove I owe them anything, and since I already sent them a letter saying I would pay the amount under those circumstances, the judge would almost certainly recognize that the water heater rental company is simply wasting everyone's time by completely ignoring the person they're trying to collect money from and should be responsible for their own court fees under those circumstances. :P

The other thing is, water heater rental companies here in Ontario typically don't have signed contracts between themselves and the people renting. I know that sounds ridiculous but it makes sense when you understand what happened in this province several years ago to create the situation that's going on with water heater rental companies right now. As such, the only signed contracts anyone has are for new rentals long after these events transpired. There's also a system in place now to ensure that people buying new properties sign documents indicating transfers of rental agreements for water heaters and such with the contract terms outlined. These documents never existed when I bought my house in 2004, and as such, I never signed anything in the first place with the company I was renting my water heater from. So even if they provide an accurate breakdown of the costs owed, they'd have a heck of a time proving that they had made me aware of those costs in advance of charging them.

...again, this is a company that sent me a final notice that was dated 13/~1/2020... :P

If I DO get a call/letter from a collection agency (and I'm almost certain I will) I'm also going to file a complaint against the water heater rental company with the BBB and with the Government of Ontario under our Consumer Protection Act.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Send that letter to them again, but registered mail. then you have direct proof you sent it, and they received it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Can you even send registered mail to a P.O. Box? :-/

EDIT: Just looked at the fine print for Canada Post and you can... *sigh*... trip to the post office it is then. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Fighting extortion is worthwhile even if a particular case costs more, otherwise bees wouldn't sting you. But effectively, animals learn not to mess with them and their honey, resulting in greater benefit in the long run.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

These documents never existed when I bought my house in 2004, and as such, I never signed anything in the first place with the company I was renting my water heater from.

They may argue that paying the bill in the past is acknowledgement that the contract existed between you and the company.

This is exactly the same thing they'd have to do in the court room to prove I owe them anything, and since I already sent them a letter saying I would pay the amount under those circumstances, the judge would almost certainly recognize that the water heater rental company is simply wasting everyone's time by completely ignoring the person they're trying to collect money from and should be responsible for their own court fees under those circumstances.

I'd check the regulations in your town first.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Bob Keane said:

They may argue that paying the bill in the past is acknowledgement that the contract existed between you and the company.

If they used that argument to claim I owe them fees they never told me about, I can simply argue that they never explained those fees to me and thus I couldn't have agreed to pay them. No contract to spell it out, no way to confirm who's right or wrong about that. This is why verbal agreements are terrible practice. Even if they have their contract terms written out somewhere, (and I'm pretty sure they do but certainly not on any documents they've ever sent me), since I never signed such a thing they can't prove I was made aware of those contractual obligations.

Besides which, I had contacted them about a week before I ended my rental agreement with them and I explicitly asked, "What would be involved in ending my water heater rental?" The person on the other end never told me about any fees associated with doing so and in fact, were rushing to get me off the phone as quickly as possible for whatever reason, to the point where they even forgot to ask where to send the final bill to. I had to call them back and provide that information, so if not for that, they wouldn't even know how to get in touch with me right now. ::)

Yeah... these people seriously don't know what they're doing. It's no wonder water heater rentals are slowly dying off across the province.

BTW: I did indeed send them another letter yesterday, this time through registered mail. I included a copy of the original letter I sent them as well as a copy of the horribly mis-dated final notice they sent me. Willing to bet they'll just ignore it but hey, that's their problem and at least I can prove I sent them that stuff now. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So there's this law, I'm not sure if its canada wide or not, but apparently if your creditor doesn't get in contact with you about the "debt" for two years, they can't chase you down any more.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Wouldn't surprise me if there was such a law, but I doubt it will come into play considering the situation. The first contact the collection agency makes with me will likely be their last since, as far as I'm concerned, I don't owe the water heater rental company anything. It'd be MUCH different if I did actually owe them money and was refusing to pay it because I was a deadbeat or something. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

...again, this is a company that sent me a final notice that was dated 13/~1/2020... :P

Pay it, and use the waterheater til 13/1/2020. And if they take you to a court, you come with that bill saying you paid your bills up to 2020 :P

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

type568 said:

Pay it, and use the waterheater til 13/1/2020. And if they take you to a court, you come with that bill saying you paid your bills up to 2020 :P

Since I don't have a water heater anymore, let alone the house it was installed in, that would be a terrible idea. ::)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Darío B.
Member #16,705
July 2017

On January 13, 2020, I'll be drawn out of retirement to resurrect this old thread. I'll be a young old man wondering how we ever elected an orange turnip for President and wistfully thinking back of our glory years when the eloquent statesmen G W B ruled our lands.

I predict Shenmue III will have recently been released for the PlayStation 4 and it will be as gloriously terrible as the first two installments.

Seems legit.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #17,316
January 2020

Bob Keane said:

And how do you rent a hot water heater?

No I did not. I've been hacked!!!!! Seriously!!!>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:( What can we do about this???

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
If we get apple juice from squeezing apples, and we get prunes from drying out plums, where does prune juice come from?
Hi Randall Monroe.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

regret and cry uselessly as every day...

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

How is this thread not locked?

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

So Matthew actually set a timer since that time to unlock this post yesterday? Sweet. It’s a shame he isn’t back yet :(

Probably he doesn’t even remember this was supposed to happen. Nor does he care. 🤷‍♂️

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

This is woeird.

[on-topic]I find hard to understand why you, USA people, order the date data in so weird way (month/day/year?) instead the logic way (day/month/year) as most of the World does. Anyway it is quite funny that full time is day/month/year hours:minutes:seconds instead of seconds:minutes:hours day/month/year that is even more logic and more easy to order things.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS is the best format. It's 2020-01-15 09:28:00. 8-)

Biggest to smallest: years are bigger than months, which are bigger than days, which are bigger than hours, which are bigger that minutes, which are bigger than seconds.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: