|                 |
|                 |
|-----------------|
| /-\ /-\ /-\ /-\ |
| \-/ \-/ \-/ \-/ |

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I might patent a qwerty keyboard design with keys in a grid pattern. Useless of course, but it will look very pretty and touch typists will soon get used to it.

[edit]or maybe writing this in this thread constitutes ownership of said design, or is that only for copyright?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

CodeStepper, did you ever figure out the problem on Windows 8? I'm really curious.. is it the same computer?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

So the original problem was that multisampling was allowed on win 7 but not win 8? That sounds like a driver problem.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Maybe Windows 8 is artificially making it look faster by disabling multisampling. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

CodeStepper
Member #14,495
August 2012

@Trent
This is the same computer...

@Arthur
I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics cards

@NiteHackr
Maybe..., but I don't believe that :)

@Johan Halmén
WOW!
MS-DOS and rounded rectangle corners :D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

@Arthur
I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics cards

And maybe those win8 compatible drivers don't have multisampling yet. New beta crap.

[EDIT]

Just found this on reddit.

{"name":"Nd4JI.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/781d76cde3ee18ee3ff35a662c62fc19.jpg","w":400,"h":1662,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/781d76cde3ee18ee3ff35a662c62fc19"}Nd4JI.jpg

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Wow, that's incredible. Did Apple just decide to steal all of Braun's designs or did they maybe buy the rights to Braun? That's too much to be coincidental. I think someone could have a case against Apple patents easily with this.

Come to think of it, I think calculators with rounded corners have been fairly common for about as long as I can recall.

---

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Huh, is that ios 1 or something? It's still similar, but I've never seen it like that. It looks like this now:

{"name":"606559","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/0\/d08541adff64ff597283fb27932c73fa.png","w":640,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/0\/d08541adff64ff597283fb27932c73fa"}606559

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

ownership of said design

Matthew has the patent of using the word "said" that way. He charges terrible sums for each use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

The aforementioned usage of said deserves a severe penalty. Preferably death. :P

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

NiteHackr said:

Wow, that's incredible. Did Apple just decide to steal all of Braun's designs or did they maybe buy the rights to Braun? That's too much to be coincidental. I think someone could have a case against Apple patents easily with this.

Don't be daft.

The portable radio and the ipod do look similar, but many portable radios had round knob for selecting the channel. The ipod circle isn't even a knob.

The radio and the Power Mac? Really? The speaker-grill is on the left (you can see in the second picture) and the Power Mac has a grill-covered front. Woohoo. Apart from that they both look like silver boxes from the side.

A flat speaker photographed from the side looks somewhat like a flat computer screen (I know, the entire computer is in there) seen from the side. Awesome similarity there.

As for the calculator, many hand-held calculators have a similar layout, and computer calculator programs have a deliberately similar design. In this particular case they're not even that close.

It's a funny picture for sure, good for a laugh, but don't overstate the similarity.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I think NiteHackr had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he said that.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert said:

The ipod circle isn't even a knob.

Doesn't matter. Its a circular control. That's all that matters.

Quote:

It's a funny picture for sure, good for a laugh, but don't overstate the similarity.

Tell that to apple, and the jury who awarded them a billion dollars for the shape of the iphone, ipad and the layout of the iOS icons.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Yes, I agree, it is silly to overstate how something looks the same... isn't it? You better tell that to Apple though.

The point is, it's a common design that has been in existence since before Apple was a company and therefore to claim the design, or LOOK and feel is exclusively your own is ridiculous.

---

1   2 

Go to: