Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What is a soul/mind

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
What is a soul/mind
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Actually, computers do suffer from flipped bits time to time, and the manufacturers go to considerable lengths to minimize it.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

This whole thread is worthless as it does not contain any wisdom whatsoever which would help me becoming a decent Starcraft II player. :P

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

You need to realize that you are not just your body and mind, you are apart of everything as we once were when the big bang happened. Realizing this you'll improve your micromanagement considerably.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Please elaborate. My mind does not seem to see any obvious correlation between that realization and its' effect on my micro.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Save the next fingernail clipping from your left index finger, it has an atom from Betelgeuse within it. You might get a nickel for it.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Gladly. Through meditation (which noobs call practice) you need to learn that it is not about thinking about your units as external entities you need to control, but instead that the boundary between you and them is not that obvious. By focusing on not focusing, or rather, think less about what you need to do and more on what you don't need to do, cleanse your mind of objectives and realize that by seeing the whole the details will come to you without much effort. In this context meditation leads to action which comes naturally and without effort (reaction turns into proaction). I hope I have kept everything vague enough so that my advice seems wise.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

What is awareness and is it possible for a machine to achieve awareness? I hope everyone agrees on that awareness is real and an existing "phenomenon" in the "real" world, whereas the existence of a soul is more dependent on a person's "religious" views of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I hope I have kept everything vague enough so that my advice seems wise.

Yup, I hereby hand you the "Wisdom Of Vagueness" achievement. Take good care of it and don't feed it after midnight.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

This thread is worthless, so here's a picture of a dog.

Hahahahaha I had not seen that "dog" before!

Please tell the difference between actual thinking and just thinking one is thinking.

I Ain't gonna to tell you anything buddy... It's just a theory... Damn I should stop playing Red Dead Redemption.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Here's something to think on: the brain is not a homogeneous entity. It's an interconnected system with different components that handle specific tasks. This includes processing sound, video, feeling. Storing and retrieving from memory and pattern recognistion.
That these are separate and largely independent subsystems is clear from well-documented patients who have suffered damage to some part of the brain (no connection between left/right hemispheres, so you can see something but not be able to name it, or see something and not realise it but still have an association based on what you saw but didn't notice; people who cannot form new memories but can still learn new tasks, people who do not remember their past but still have their skills). You can actually sometimes tell that this is so because when you go to sleep not all parts of your brain necessarily fall asleep (or wake up) at the same time: some functions shut down while others are still active.

So is there really such a thing as "you", or are there just lots of different "voices" in your head that may give you the illusion that there is really one (namely "you")?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Because in order to predict the behavior of any system (in real time, or faster), one needs a system that is even more complex

{{citation needed}}

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

My belief tells me nothing is sacred. I'm free to do whatever I want, I have absolutely no responsibility for anything.

It seems I have created a world with very rigid rules for cause and effect though and time seems to flow rigidly in one direction.

I'm trying to figure out a meaning to life, so far I have been unsuccessful. But I will stick to this life as far as it'll take just to see what happens and while I'm here I may as well play the game as well as I can. Therefore I will try to do what I find gives me most joy.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Suppose the meaning of life would be discovered once and for all. Suppose it would be about achieving something. Suppose you'd achieve it at the age of 50. What the hell would you do after that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I've heard of a soul and a mind but never a soul/mind nor an apple/cow.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

There is no spoon.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Trezker said:

I may as well play the game as well as I can

The game of thrones you mean?

I like this quote: "He knows not where he's going for the ocean will decide. It's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride".

What the hell would you do after that?

Find a new meaning? Must there only be one? Find a meaning in the meaningless?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dennis said:

My mind does not seem to see any obvious correlation between that realization and its' effect on my micro.

“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.” - Zen Proverb

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

There is no self. :'(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There is no one.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

What is?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Cartoon in a spoiler so it doesn't take so much room.

{"name":"20120216.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f7ae9c70a78ef4511ad6b17f5ba4db49.gif","w":576,"h":3774,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/7\/f7ae9c70a78ef4511ad6b17f5ba4db49"}20120216.gif

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

There is The One.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.” - Zen Proverb

Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time said:

In the Second Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, a story is written concerning one day when the apprentice Clodpool, in a rebellious mood, approached Wen and spake thusly:

"Master, what is the difference between a humanistic, monastic system of belief in which wisdom is sought by means of an apparently nonsensical system of questions and answers, and a lot of mystic gibberish made up on the spur of the moment?"

Wen considered this for some time, and at last said: "A fish!"

And Clodpool went away, satisfied.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

gnolam said:

{{citation needed}}

Well, maybe not necessarily more complex, but in any case at least equally complex. Practical considerations would suggest 'more complex' though, unless we find a way to make an exact instant copy of the system in question.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

FYI my previous post was with a few beers in me. Quite rambly.

Anyway, it seems souls are quite frequently immortal supernatural entities we imbue ourselves with, essentially making ourselves gods.

The mind is largely devoted to generating informational representations of the universe and creating responses for us to take in it. The mind is the abstract object corresponding to the brain. I suppose I'd say it's only those parts which contribute to consciousness: the cerebellum seems more a mechanical brain part.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: