Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » to dumb to read a string

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
to dumb to read a string
knudel
Member #13,235
August 2011

Hi,

my problem is that I've got a file in which I've written a string and two integers and I'm trying to read them with this function:

#SelectExpand
1void read(char* path){ 2 file=al_fopen(path,"r"); 3 4 char str[256]; 5 int mapx, mapy; 6 7 //string 8 int i=-1; 9 do{ 10 i++; 11 al_fread(file,&str[i],sizeof(char)); 12 }while(str[i]!='\0'); 13 14 //2 integers 15 al_fread(file,&mapx,sizeof(int)); 16 al_fread(file,&mapy,sizeof(int)); 17 18 al_fclose(file); 19}

but it seems that my solution to read a string takes one byte more from the file as it should and so my string is "tiles1.bmpd" instead of "tiles1.bmp" and the following ints have the values 6553600 and 0 instead of 100 and 100.

Does anyone have a better solution for reading strings?

thanks for all answers :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Let me get this straight, the file has a null terminated string followed immediately by two binary integers? The ints aren't in ASCII?

“Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as "bad luck.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I think I'm thinking along the same lines as Arthur. My guess is you didn't null terminate, or you had \n in the file before the 0.

knudel
Member #13,235
August 2011

Damn, I'm sorry.
I used al_fwrite(file,string,strlen(string)) and not al_fwrite(file,string,strlen(string)+1) to write the string in the file so the '\0'-charakter was missing.

Thanks for the hint :)

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Just so you know, read ints from a file 4 bytes at a time with fread isn't portable. Allegro has functions such as al_fread32le for this purpose.

knudel
Member #13,235
August 2011

So al_fread32le would work on all platforms correct?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

If you use that and write32le every time on all platforms then it will work.

Go to: