Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Forced into switching to Linux

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Forced into switching to Linux
van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

I'm now running Fedora 15, KDE, and a tin foil hat, nvidia is configured i got my game Frozen Synapse running in a VM....I ported all my apps over, wish me luck! All the talk of so many viruses and hidden hazardous apps that could be running in windows has left me little choice, hope this isnt permanent. Windows, I will be back.

Actually, windows will never be gone, i'm running it in a VM to watch netflix and play games

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Welcome back to the fold!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Lets hope Ubuntus bug #1 gets fixed. It'd be beneficial no matter what you'd like to see in windows future. Either Microsoft ignores the fact and runs their business into oblivion, or they wake up and realize they should probably change some priorities.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Trezker said:

Lets hope Ubuntus bug #1 [launchpad.net] gets fixed. It'd be beneficial no matter what you'd like to see in windows future. Either Microsoft ignores the fact and runs their business into oblivion, or they wake up and realize they should probably change some priorities.

Huh? You seem to me saying that Microsoft risks running their business into oblivion if they don't act to reduce their own market share. This doesn't make sense to me.

-----------

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He meant that if Microsoft continues its policies then it'll fade away as people get fed up with malware, DRM, being accused of being a thief, exorbitant prices, yadda yadda yadda.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yeah, businesses don't run into oblivion by acting. They do it by doing business as usual while the world changes around them.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

The world isn't changing to Linux. Just a couple nerds on allegro.cc.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I recently read somewhere that windows 8 is similar to a smartphone interface and that might drive users to linux. ;D

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

If it's like Android then yeah, I can see why that would happen. :P

Before you get your panties in a bunch, it was a joke. My HTC Desire Z is the least annoying cellphone I've had since the Nokia 2110. It's still not perfect though.

You don't deserve my sig.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

My linux is going, I've just had enough of random failures.

Yesterday youtube stopped working. Black screen, all I got was 'there was an error' on the screen. I know it's flash as youtube html5 works. It's not the browser as it fails in all browsers, and flash does work at other sites. I've even tried running the flash cleanup app, etc. My touchpad seems to jerk and stutter when I move. My NAS (despite being linux) doesn't like my linux. NetBeans on linux just sucks. Things just work in Windows.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Yesterday youtube stopped working. Black screen, all I got was 'there was an error' on the screen. I know it's flash as youtube html5 works. It's not the browser as it fails in all browsers, and flash does work at other sites. I've even tried running the flash cleanup app, etc. My touchpad seems to jerk and stutter when I move. My NAS (despite being linux) doesn't like my linux. NetBeans on linux just sucks. Things just work in Windows.

Let me guess... Ubuntu?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

^ actually that's a known xmonad bug

-----

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

^ yes (well, technically Mint, which is just ubuntu with bits)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Some random notes on Windows. I had problems a few years ago installing a network printer and some random crashes. No similar problems in Fedora 8. It turns out the problem was my room was too hot. Linux is more stable IMO.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Bob Keane said:

Some random notes on Windows. I had problems a few years ago installing a network printer

I used to do tech support for a printer company that had terrible product failure rates, printers are the least reliable computer hardware i have ever seen in my life

-----

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

They aren't supposed to last very long. They already cost less to buy than they do to make, they really don't give a rats ass about quality. They just want you to buy more ink. Which happens when you have to get a new printer and it's carts aren't compatible with your old printer.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

you arent supposed to last very long ;)

-----

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

I'm now running Fedora 15,

I hope something breaks and that you have to compile a later version to get it working.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

no packaging system is perfect, not even gentoo's which requires constant recompiles.

Thus far, I've been using linux as a host for windows vms and it provides me which a bunch of network services

-----

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Things just work in Windows.

It just seems that way if reinstalling it is taken to be just part of the normal course of events.[1]

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I haven't had to reinstall Windows to fix a problem since Windows95, and even back then it turns out that the problem was actually caused by faulty ram - (reinstalling didn't fix it, obviously).

Maybe reinstalling is normal for some users, but certain not for all users. This is just another example of fail@generalization.com. You might as well just say linux is only usable if you also have access to a working second computer with internet access, to search for solutions to your linux problems... and then link to some random forum post where someone reported doing something like that.

-----------

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

linux is only usable if you also have access to a working second computer with internet access, to search for solutions to your linux problems...

I have linux problems all the time, but not so bad I can't get to the internet. Usually it's something I misunderstood in the man pages, rereading 3 times usually works. OTOH, Windows help saying "contact your network administrator" doesn't help no matter how many times I read it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've had to reinstall windows many, many, many times... :-/

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Go to: