The anticipation has been intense.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/alleg/files/allegro/4.4.2/

Quote:

==================================================================
============ Changes from 4.4.1.1 to 4.4.2 (May 2011) ============
==================================================================

Make rest(0) call select() with non-zero timeout on Unix. The old
implementation was no longer enough to make input responsive on X11,
on programs which try to draw as fast as possible. (Peter Wang)

Fix module loading on Unix (Bernhard Rosenkraenzer).

Made memory bitmaps returned by create_system_bitmap not marked as system
bitmaps (Edgar Reynaldo).

Add detection of Windows 7 (Andrei Ellman).

Fail instead of crashing if gfx_directx_make_bitmap_from_surface() fails
(Andrei Ellman).

Fix crash in GDI driver if setting a second mode fails, after having
successfully set a mode previously (Andrei Ellman).

Add missing frameworks required for static linking on OS X (Peter Johansson).

Fixed a problem with keyboard focus being lost on OS X when switching from
windowed mode to fullscreen mode (Peter Johansson).

alsa_rawmidi_init could return success on failure (Nicolas Kaiser).

Updated PSP port from diedel. "The graphics, system, digi, keyboard, mouse,
joystick and timer drivers are implemented and are fully functional. It
supports 8, 15, 16 and 32 bpp color depths and a max. resolution of 480x272
pixels."

Eliminated the need for old DirectX headers for the Windows port
(David Capello).

Fix problems in Windows when you use Alt-Tab. Sometimes the Alt modifier is
kept pressed when you focus the Allegro window. (David Capello)

Make the submenu appear to the right of its parent menu if it does not fit
in the screen (Paul Suntsov).

Made timers on Unix cope with system time being set backwards
(Hardi Stengelin).

Fix various compilation and build problems (scottmc, Cristian Morales Vega,
Tony Ylisirniö, Edgar Reynaldo).

Added WANT_OSS, WANT_ALSA, WANT_JACK, WANT_SGIAUDIO options
(Samuli Suominen).

Also pass -pg when building shared library in PROFILE mode.

Let demos find readme.txt and source files correctly even if running from a
build directory (Peter Wang).

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Well done all involved.

But you're flogging a dead horse. Allegro 5 is the future. Let's hope it doesn't take as long to drop A4 as it did to get rid of DOS from Allegro (I remember those heated debates on why DOS is important....)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

There was a decision to remove DOS? My understanding was that it would remain as long as someone maintained it.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

That attitude will never win you a Nobel.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

But you're flogging a dead horse.

I disagree. I have many old projects that I will never have time to port to A5. This update is much appreciated. I think everyone is already recommending A5 to new Allegro users.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"dead+horse.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/8\/08fc75d40a970fe434b2f8283160ddd1.gif","w":300,"h":232,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/8\/08fc75d40a970fe434b2f8283160ddd1"}dead+horse.gif

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Looks a little like something out of Monty Python's Flying Circus. If so, I approve.

That said, I don't think continuing to support A4 is like beating a dead horse. This release is part of the original plan, to do occasional bug fix releases. People have submitted bugs, and bug fixes, why shouldn't we include them in a release at some point? Clearly it means people are still using it, and want to keep using it for some projects. Dropping A4 on its ass with no support what so ever would be incredibly short-sighted, and a good way to get people to just stop using any version of Allegro.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I got to be honest with you guys... This is the unique library/software/PC-version/Car-Model/etc..etc..

That has a version 5 and still doing things for 4... I don't get it!!!. What it's happening I mean everything goes, 1, 2, 3, 4... etc.. or 0.1, 0.2, 0.4... It's like there is some kind of ramification, something like a 4 Dimension in the world of Allegro.

Why it jumps from 4.4.2 to 5.0.0? where are 4.6.0 and 4.8.0? I know that I asked this before and I think it made sense that time... But know I'm confused again... :-X

PS: Imagine a new Service Pack for Windows 95.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Why it jumps from 4.4.2 to 5.0.0?

Version 5 is completely separate from anything that came before. Allegro 4 will continue to receive bug fixes till we all get bored of it. While Allegro 5 is where all the new fancyness is added.

MS is still releasing occasional patches for XP afaik. And they have Vista, Windows 7 out, and Windows 8 on the way. It's not much different from that.

The linux kernel community is currently supporting like 10 different stable and longterm releases of the linux kernel. Just because you release a new version, doesn't mean you stop supporting the old one right away.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I am glad to see a new Allegro 4.4 release. Downloading.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

There was a decision to remove DOS? My understanding was that it would remain as long as someone maintained it.

Yup.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Which, time permitting, I plan to do. Starting with getting the thing fully running including the addons if possible (AllegroGL may be difficult).

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

So actually there is a jump?

What would happen if for example I say: Allegro 4 it's better let's still making new patches and adding new stuffs... You know imagine that suddenly Edgar it's multiplied by 100 so there are 100 guys doing new patches and adding new stuff to allergo 4 and from 4.4.2 start growing 4.4.2, 4.4.4, 4.4.6 ... 4.6, 4.8, 5... then there would be two version of allegro with the same number version?

I didn't know that Allegro 4 had PSP port.

MS is still releasing occasional patches for XP afaik.

How can we diferenciate when it's a patch or a new version?

I mean, when you say a new SP for windows XP I know that it's a pack to resolve old problems of Windows XP, I won't see in a Service Pack for XP the new DirectX 11... or support for Multiple touch screens, right?

I don't know is very weird, it's like you're mixing the name with the version... For example should be: Allegro 4 v4.4.2, then would be more understandable... I think that was my problem.

Now we have Allegro 5, and doesn't should be Allegro 5 v0.0.1... Ohhh I think now I get it, you're mixing the name with the version in some kind of abbreviation, like Windows 95.0.4 where 95 is the name and 0.4 is the version... Right?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

4.10.0 comes after 4.8.0.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The intention is for Allegro 4 to eventually go away. Most pf the changes in the new A4 release we're contributed by users. The current dev team is not that interesed in workin with the old codebase any longer, at least not more than is absolutely necessary.

im sure others are welcome to pick up Allegro 4 development if they wish, but i find that unlikely to happen. It just doesnt support many things people want, and would be hard to add to the code without making a serious mess.

--

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I agree that Allegro 4 should be deprecated in favor of Allegro 5 but if someone is willing to do some maintainance for people still using it, I say that's fine.

AllegroGL may be difficult

I got AllegroGL working on Allegro 4.2 for DOS a while back. I'm guessing Allegro 4.4 and Allegro 4.2 share a lot in common so it shouldn't be difficult given that you have the Mesa lib installed (an old, no longer maintained DOS version), which is the hard part.
Anyway, I don't think anyone will complain if AllegroGL is disabled on DOS.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I heard something about a linux framebuffer driver that does opengl or something like that, directfb maybe? And mesa supports it on Matrox cards... well I have a Matrox card so I might be able to get that working too. All of this will be a side project though, stuff to do when I'm burnt out from my other work.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Is Michael Cichon around anywhere? I'd love it if you would make a build script for making Allegro 4 binaries to put on the Allegro.cc files page. ;D I wouldn't personally use them, but it would make it much easier for all the newbies.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Well done everyone, nice job.

www.justanotherturn.com

Michał Cichoń
Member #11,736
March 2010

"God starts from scratch too"
Windows Allegro Build Repo: http://targonski.nazwa.pl/thedmd/allegro/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Michał Cichoń
Member #11,736
March 2010

I just got first successful build of A4 with addons:

allegro-4.4.2-monolith-mt-debug.dll
allegro-4.4.2-mt-debug.dll
allegrogl-0.4.4-mt.dll
allegrogl-0.4.4-mt-debug.dll
jpgalleg-2.6-mt-debug.dll
loadpng-1.5-mt-debug.dll
logg-1.0-mt-debug.dll

More, A4 can be build as monolith, with all addons integrated. Wish me luck!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Michał Cichoń
Member #11,736
March 2010

Well, this issue hasn't been discussed yet. I alone cannot make such decision.

Current naming scheme is a consequence of using my build scripts, where I have to differentiate between binaries.

Binary name is fully descriptive to help to identify very specific version. Not once I did hit the problem when an executable required alleg42.dll, then I found one on the HDD and application didn't work, because versions were binary incompatible. So, it is better at least for me to know explicitly what binary is required to run my application.

Do you think people will accept mine naming scheme?

A side note about origins of current name of Allegro binary: alleg42.dll. I used Allegro in 199x where DOS was in store and file named allegro-4.2.dll wasn't possible, because names were limited to 8 characters and extension to 3 characters.
I'm not convenient about that, but it looks like A4.4 does not support DOS any more. Well not directly, sources are still there but CMake does not handle them.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Awesome, thanks to all the contributors !!

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

1   2 

Go to: