Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Poll: Allegro 5 GUI in C or C++?

Credits go to AMCerasoli, Andrei Ellman, bamccaig, Dizzy Egg, Edgar Reynaldo, Elias, Evert, GullRaDriel, ImLeftFooted, jhuuskon, Johan Halmén, Karadoc ~~, kenmasters1976, Mark Oates, Matthew Leverton, Michael Faerber, Neil Walker, Peter Wang, Ron Novy, SiegeLord, Thomas Fjellstrom, Tobias Dammers, Trezker, and type568 for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Poll: Allegro 5 GUI in C or C++?
axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Hello all.

Since Allegro 5 is almost upon us, and I'd like to learn it, and seeing that an A5 GUI library is often requested, I think it is a good opportunity to start a GUI library for it.

I'd like to do it in C++, but many here seem to be more comfortable with C. I wouldn't want to waste my time with something that doesn't cover people's needs, so, I'd like to ask you all:

Would you like a C or a C++ GUI library?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

C. Allegro is a C library. I want a C GUI library !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Both. Reuse what you can, but provide an interface for both designed for the features of the language. :) Start with C because it's simpler and you'll be less likely to over-engineer it. Then you can come along after and see how C++ can improve it.

\o/

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

bamccaig said:

how C++ can bloat it.

I FTFY.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

C.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

C for me, but don't listen to me or anyone else. For everyone who says C, there'll be someone else who says C++, and either way, that's not the point.
Make something that you find useful and release it for other people to use, and some people will use it. Some won't.
So draw your motivation from what works for you, not what works for "people". Otherwise you're setting yourself up to becoming demotivated by people not caring or not liking it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Evert said:

Make something that you find useful and release it for other people to use, and some people will use it. Some won't.
So draw your motivation from what works for you, not what works for "people". Otherwise you're setting yourself up to becoming demotivated by people not caring or not liking it.

This is absolutely true. Any project like this will only succeed if the developer(s) are doing it for themselves. As long as you open source it with a FLOSS-friendly license, people will take what they like from your project and fix it if it needs fixing.

Even if the only thing that your project does is motivate somebody to write a completely different library, it will have been worth it if it results in a good GUI library in the end. :P

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

bamccaig said:

This is absolutely true. Any project like this will only succeed if the developer(s) are doing it for themselves.

People are buying EA games, although they're unplayable, literally. I highly doubt these guys don't know they're making shit, nor do I think they play it.

Yep, I'm trolling.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

He's talking about Open Source, not commercial. Commercial software seems to work best when the developers hate their own product or something like that.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

type568 said:

People are buying EA games, although they're unplayable, literally. I highly doubt these guys don't know they're making shit, nor do I think they play it.

That's a little bit different: they do that for money, and it's most likely their day job. With FLOSS software, there's generally no monetary compensation for your effort, so you better be doing it because it provides value to you, or you won't get far.

x 2=D@ 92AA6? E@ 4@?EC:3FE6 E@ D@>6 AC6EEJ 9@CC:3=6 D@7EH2C6 2E ;_C3] x 5@?VE =:<6 E96 D@7EH2C6 E92E x >2<6[ 3FE x >2<6 :E 3642FD6 x 86E A2:5 E@ >2<6 :E[ 2?5 x >2<6 :E E96 H2J xV> E@=5 3642FD6 x 86E A2:5 E@ >2<6 :E E96 H2J xV> E@=5 Wx 86?6C2==J 5@ >J 36DE E@ >2<6 :E DF4< =6DDWE>X[ 3FE :EVD H2J @FE @7 >J 92?5DX]

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Evert said:

Otherwise you're setting yourself up to becoming demotivated by people not caring or not liking it.

This is axilmar we're talking about. The fact that this will happen is a foregone conclusion.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

bambam, what's the point in encrypting a spoiler ? hmmmm ??

SiegeLord said:

This is axilmar we're talking about. The fact that this will happen is a foregone conclusion.

+1 ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

bambam, what's the point in encrypting a spoiler ? hmmmm ??

Less likely that certain people that may take offense to it will stumble upon and read it. :)

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

SiegeLord said:

Of course; don't hold your breath.

I see that most prefer C. For me, it's not that relevant; I am not gonna use any advanced C++ techniques anyway.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

bamccaig said:

Less likely that certain people that may take offense to it will stumble upon and read it.

Doing so they do not get what they deserve for clicking on "reveal spoiler". That's defeating up the simple fact of having a spoiler button.

axilmar said:

I see that most prefer C. For me, it's not that relevant; I am not gonna use any advanced C++ techniques anyway.

Go for the GUI !! :D

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

axilmar said:

Would you like a C or a C++ GUI library?

If you make yours work (and look) at least as good as the one Matthew showed in some youtube videos once, I vote for C as I might want to use it :) Otherwise i probably wouldn't use it anyway and then C++ would be fine.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Another vote for C... or at least for a C interface even if you code it in C++.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

One vote for both! A4 had a brilliant GUI, definitely worth its price. I guess A5 won't have a GUI "of its own" like A4 had. So is there a need for a voting? Someone make a C GUI, someone make a C++ one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

So is there a need for a voting?

Well, this is a Poll thread.

I'm sure we'll eventually have plenty of GUI addons/libs for Allegro 5 in both C and C++. Right now it seems there's already a few people working on GUIs given the number of GUI threads that have appeared recently.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Right now it seems there's already a few people working on GUIs given the number of GUI threads that have appeared recently.

They don't tend to get anywhere though. A good GUI is hard to do, especially one that fits in well with games.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

I was going to suggest C++, but after some consideration I think it would be better to code it in C, because I think it may be easier to write a C++ wrapper for a C library than vice versa.

[EDIT]

Elias said:

If you make yours work (and look) at least as good as the one Matthew showed in some youtube videos once, I vote for C as I might want to use it :)

Can someone point me to this video?

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I prefer C++ as a language, but I vote for a C interface (whether or not it's written in C or C++).

The real question is Will we get a GUI library?

[edit]

Can someone point me to this video?

video

There's a follow up if you go to youtube.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Can you do a javascript port of it?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

bamccaig said:

So then what's wrong with that one? :P

It's not ready yet.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

1   2   3   4 

Go to: