bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

At least somebody is staying on topic.

Lets call it incentive to prove me [1] wrong.

;)

References

1. and that little voice in your head that you've been ignoring

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

You might play with it for a little while, but in the long run, its going to be a complete waste.

You never know... my dad bought one of these: img src="https://www.buyfitnessonline.com/osc/images/NordicTrack_Pro_Skier.jpg" /> and used it every day for 15 years. Then he replaced it with a treadmill which he also uses ever day.

He usually runs 10km a day.

So if bamccaig gets the right mindset I wouldn't be surprised if he actually uses it :)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Exercise

{"name":"exercise.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33e1a9220a3afaa72ac8897d7db7f2e4.png","w":500,"h":361,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33e1a9220a3afaa72ac8897d7db7f2e4"}exercise.png

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Why? Do you have any idea how long of a gym membership you could have bought for that money? And the gym membership gets you in an environment of exercising, with a hell of a lot more equipment to boot.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

That kind of money would buy you 25 months of gym membership here, for every second day, unlimited time. So you come in every 2nd day and can be there as long as you want.

Plus, as BAF pointed out, you get the environment/atmosphere and of course a professional telling you how you have to do exercises.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Vanneto said:

a professional telling you how you have to do exercises.

{"name":"son-i-am-disappoint.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/44b829419bf68a772d1b77cf57c7343b.gif","w":480,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/44b829419bf68a772d1b77cf57c7343b"}son-i-am-disappoint.gif

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Actually, see Edgar Reynaldo's post for a more accurate visual aide ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

Why? Do you have any idea how long of a gym membership you could have bought for that money?

I know I won't go to a gym regularly. I don't like people, and I'm self-conscious, so I would talk myself out of it any time that I didn't want to go (always). Relatively often I don't even want to go to the store or something like that. With a home gym, I can exercise in the comfort of my own home without having to travel and without fearing other people watching me.

Vanneto said:

That kind of money would buy you 25 months of gym membership here, for every second day, unlimited time. So you come in every 2nd day and can be there as long as you want.

I can use this machine for as long as it lasts. The only limit is its own structural integrity and ability to age. In theory, it could last considerably longer than 2 years.

Vanneto said:

Plus, as BAF pointed out, you get the environment/atmosphere and of course a professional telling you how you have to do exercises.

Don't be fooled: just because somebody works at a gym or calls themselves a physical trainer doesn't mean they're really a professional. They're sure as fuck not a doctor or any form of scientist.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

bamccaig said:

Don't be fooled: just because somebody works at a gym or calls themselves a physical trainer doesn't mean they're really a professional.

Yes it does. They are getting paid for what they do, so by definition, they are a professional.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

They are getting paid for what they do, so by definition, they are a professional.

Don't be fooled: just because somebody works at a gym or calls themselves a physical trainer doesn't mean they're getting paid for it. :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

If buying exercise equipment, I'd rather spend the money on dumbbells and a treadmill.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

bamccaig said:

Until now, I've eaten mostly microwavable pastas, hot dogs, soup, and alphaghetti. The only exception has been baking fish strips and fries, and the only other "real" cooking that I did, which was pan frying real fish.

Dude, the veges escaped.

As others have pointed out, the money spent is equivalent to a couple of years of gym membership. Plus you'd exercising in an environment with gym bunnies, and the views are sometimes well worth the membership fee ;).

However, the pros of your own equipment is that you get to exercise when it suits you. There is no limit on open hours (unless you have a gym that's open 24/7). After 2 years you won't have to fork out more cash to maintain membership. And the view can be modified with a few posters (paper wallhanging things, not people on the 'net giving opinions).

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Here's my best attempt at making you feel stupid:

You could probably build muscles with a drum set for about the same price. And it's way more fun, too.

Good luck with your endeavor though. It might help to get a friend to exercise with you, I always found that to be helpful -- you can keep each other accountable for actually getting it done.

bamccaig said:

The only thing keeping me from eating properly is food preparation and washing dishes.

Sounds like you need a wife. ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

bamccaig said:

Until now, I've eaten mostly microwavable pastas, hot dogs, soup, and alphaghetti. The only exception has been baking fish strips and fries, and the only other "real" cooking that I did, which was pan frying real fish.

With that kind of diet, doing exercise is pointless. The first think you need is a good diet.

bamccaig said:

Don't be fooled: just because somebody works at a gym or calls themselves a physical trainer doesn't mean they're getting paid for it.

Don't make escuses by fooling yourself. Of course they're trained and in order to do their work they need the required diploma. You don't want to go, that's fine, but don't disqualify other people.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

StevenVI said:

It might help to get a friend to exercise with you, I always found that to be helpful -- you can keep each other accountable for actually getting it done.

This. The only time I've actually stuck with regular exercise is when I had a friend going with me.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

StevenVI said:

Sounds like you need a wife.

Until she gets out of shape. :-/

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

With that kind of diet, doing exercise is pointless. The first think you need is a good diet.

I'll second this. With a good diet, the exercise is almost optional. Without a good diet, the exercise won't help.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'll second this. With a good diet, the exercise is almost optional. Without a good diet, the exercise won't help.

I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm trying to build muscle. I'm 5'9" and I weight 135 lbs. I don't really need to lose weight. :P My only interest in exercise is to improve my cardiovascular performance (lungs/heart) and muscular strength and endurance. Obviously, my results would be better with an optimal diet, but it isn't like my current diet will result in no change at all. ::) I'm not a scientist, but I will be extremely surprised if it does.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm trying to build muscle.

Fair enough, but I see no protien in that diet (aside from the fish). So you still need a diet overhaul.

When I was on a high-protien diet as part of my exercise regime, a good breakfast for me was a spinach/feta cheese/tomato omelet, some turkey bacon, and a banana/berries smoothie (and a whole-wheat bagel for some carbs). When you're taking in protien on that level, you've have something to build muscle with. So again: without a good diet, the exercise won't help. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

bamccaig said:

I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm trying to build muscle. I'm 5'9" and I weight 135 lbs. I don't really need to lose weight.

With that diet, you may need to lose fat. Not the external layer of make-you-cuddly fat, but the klingon fat that hangs round your organs and will cause health issues further down the line.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

You're not going to build any serious muscle on that. To build muscle you need to lift heavy (easy bit) and eat a lot of protein (hard bit). The machines at our gym cost about £4000 ($6000), and I still prefer to do the majority of my exercise with free weights. That rickety gimmick of a machine is probably fine to warm up on, but you're not going to make any real gains on it.

I recommend you spend about £200 on a decent flat-blench. Nothing fancy, it should look something like:

{"name":"603057","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/c\/2c4064354e222953d95e7c326a31f0b8.jpg","w":511,"h":356,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/c\/2c4064354e222953d95e7c326a31f0b8"}603057

...and a few hundred on some good quality dumbbells which can easily have weight added to:

{"name":"603058","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/96eac8b2c7b5a1801ee553175e647a8a.jpg","w":300,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/6\/96eac8b2c7b5a1801ee553175e647a8a"}603058

Also, your diet is a disaster. If you want to build serious muscle you should be eating about 2 grams per kg of bodyweight. You need to eat a lot of tuna, chicken breast and protein shakes every day to get this level of protein without all the fat and crap that comes with the majority of high-protein foods.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Neato!

Let me/us know how your new equipment works out. I need to get back in the habit of working out, and it'd be encouraging to see other Allegroites making progress.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

klingon fat

PtaQ!

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Go to: