Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Humble Indie Bundle #2

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Humble Indie Bundle #2
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Machinarium seems to be unplayable on this machine. :(
The frame rate is fine, but input is completely bugged - it lags, behaves erratically, and occasionally turns into some sort of Newtonian acceleration mode, where the portions of mouse input that actually register only serve to accelerate the cursor in some direction.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

What I did was extract the .swf and run it with a more recent Flash player. I think it was with a tool called exe2swf. (This was a few months ago, though.)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I think I read somewhere in the Machinarium help file that performance is better on some machines if you disable hardware acceleration. Might be completely unrelated to the input performance though.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

I bought this for $15 and have played through World of Goo and Braid already. That stuff is really addictive! :P

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Aquaria isn't really pulling me in, though it's pretty. Revenge of the Titans seems to get awfully hard awfully quick; I can't even take down the first "boss" before he punts my base in one shot. Penumbra is intriguing though I've just started it ...

EDIT: Aquaria is growing on me. I've taken to calling it Samus the Mermaid. :) Reminds me of Solar Jetman. Finally passed the first world in RotT and it's getting a bit better, but it keeps locking up for a second or two every 15-ish seconds. Kinda annoying.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Yeah, Revenge of the Titans is really difficult, but notice that every complete mission brings you a medal saying something along the lines of "completed the mission on the highest difficulty level", so I suppose you can set it to easier somehow.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Aquaria is growing on me. I've taken to calling it Samus the Mermaid.

Aquaria seemed prety cool. I played the demo... but I got stuck :'( So I didn't bother to play the full version when I got the bundle :-/ But one day I'll try again!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Final tallies ...

Total payments:  $1,824,220.41
Number of purchases: 232,852
Average purchase:    $7.83
Average Windows:     $6.67
Average Mac:         $9.26
Average Linux:       $13.77

Top contributors:
1 Nexus Scorpion      $6,132.96
2 Anonymous           $5,555.55
3 Play.onlive.com     $5,000.00
4 grflwitz            $3,141.59
5 @notch              $2,000.00
6 Riot Games Dev Team $1,500.00
7 Metasploit          $1,337.00
8 Journeyman @ RPS    $1,100.00
9 @ExpiredPopsicle    $1,024.00
10 Site5.com Coupon   $1,000.00

Good chunk of change there. Wouldn't mind seeing the developer/tip/charity breakdown ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Started Penumbra yesterday. Nice puzzles so far...

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Machinarium worked on my desktop machine. And while the art is absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack has a few gems, the game as a whole is less than stellar. As in "there were times I felt like buying a plane ticket to the Czech Republic so I could punch the developers in the face". :P
There are a few really good puzzles in there, but also a lot of awful ones. Hell, it has a sliding block puzzle (#1 puzzle crutch of bad designers everywhere!), which alone instantly disqualifies it from the good adventure game category.

And there's more. Throughout almost the entire game, you solve puzzles without knowing why; if you've played a couple of adventure games, you can recognize a stock puzzle situation when you see one - "ah, fetch quest", "turn off the water here", "fix these guys' instruments" - but you have absolutely no idea why you should be doing all these things. And in this game, the end result usually follows some kind of crazy moon logic. Then there's stuff like poor hotspot handling, a few pixel bitch puzzles, the slow walking pace, etc.
But the worst thing about the game? The blatant play time extenders. For example, forcing you to redo a puzzle several times, or inserting random minigames. The last one (the "mind hack" sequence) is actually the worst example of this I have ever seen in my life.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

This may not be news to anyone here, but apparently Puppy Games has said that they will open source Revenge of the Titans if the HIB #2 makes more than $1.75 million.

Source: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/12/Revenge-of-the-Titans-will-go-open-source-at-1-75M

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

..finished Penumbra yesterday. There were a few very annoying/unforgiving moments where I had to keep reloading to avoid death but apart from that it was a solid adventure experience even though the story was boring at first and the puzzles were all quite easy but it got more interesting towards the end.

Actually, I only kept playing because I wanted to find out about that Red character who seemed interesting. Without that character I would have stopped playing very early, because there was just nothing that motivated me to explore that underground facility any further.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

gnolam said:

The last one (the "mind hack" sequence) is actually the worst example of this I have ever seen in my life.

I actually thought that was kind of neat. I more or less agree with the rest of your post though. Lots of good puzzles, but very little logic running through them to keep you from ultimately employing the "click everything on everywhere" stratagem. :-/

apparently Puppy Games has said that they will open source Revenge of the Titans if the HIB #2 makes more than $1.75 million.

Of all the games in both HiBs, I'm pretty sure that's the one I'd be least interested in getting the source code for. :)

Aquaria is starting to wear out my good graces. I feel like a rat in a maze with very little direction or overall goal. There's like 6 different paths I can take right now, all of which run for ages in wildly different directions with who knows what anywhere. I found a few recipes and a turtle ... joy. :P Pretty music and graphics, immersive gameplay, zero pacing.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: