Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Wednesday Moan: I've decided SVN sucks

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Wednesday Moan: I've decided SVN sucks
Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

After working with a few years with VSS & CVS, SVN was a welcome blessing, even though it is not perfect. I've been looking into mercurial myself, and also tried using Git but installing TortoiseGit was a PITA; on the other hand, TortoiseHg was much faster to install, plus it seems to have better IDE integration (I consider that a must for VCSs) (I tried in Visual Studio but not in Eclipse yet - seems that there is a Git plugin in development called EGit, it may be worth a try).

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Dustin Dettmer
Member #3,935
October 2003

unfuddle.com gives away free private accounts (comes with git) limited to 2 users. Unfuddle has very nice project management stuff as well.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

plus it seems to have better IDE integration (I consider that a must for VCSs)

I'd rather have my co-workers and me work with a command-line-only subversion than the f*cked-up mess that is AnkhSVN. Anything that goes beyond "This is my project, I want all the files in it to be versioned, and I'll never move them" is often too much for it to handle appropriately.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Could be, a few years ago we tried AnkhSVN on a project and it was very buggy and not well integrated into VS, and found myself using TortoiseSVN for most of the tasks. Have you tried any recent version of AnkhSVN? looking at their website suggests that they have improved the integration, but it is not clear if they solve the bugs. Subversive works well on Eclipse though!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

1   2 

Go to: