Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Fractal Brownian Motion

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Fractal Brownian Motion
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

The point of my post wasn't so much the method to perturb the vertices, but to not have distortions trying to wrap a flat map onto a sphere. Did you do that?

I did that. First I have the heightmap that is cube mapped to the sphere. Unfortunatelly it has a small resolution compared to the level of detail that is possible on the mesh. So I replaced the OpenGL rendering pipeline with GLSL shader that takes the height information from it, normal from the normal map (calculated from the heightmap and also cube mapped to the surface) and weather zone info (another lookup texture) to create terrain textured surface.

Unfortunatelly the only method of calculating texture coordinates that I've been able to understand and implement was tri-planar texturing used in one of the nVidia demos. It uses three projections into the base planes and blends the color between them. It provides nice results without any visible distorsions (though sometimes there are certain artifacts). The drawback is three texture fetches for each terrain type - twelve in total (sand, grass, dirt and snow) and believe me, it really takes on the framerate.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

mEmO said:

This looks very cool, but I'm slightly worried that you're actually trying to make real world progranisms to conquer the universe...

Thank you! Nope, no progranisms this time :( Just some good old tradin', fightin', explorin' space action sim fun.

I've done a lot of little things in my game. Improved the market AI a bit; added mining NPCs that go around, mine the planets, and sell their cargos on the local markets; improved some of the interface; added a star map; and began work on mine-able asteroids. Also, I added a warping sequence. So instead of just jumping instantly from planet to planet, it does a proper launch sequence. I spent part of today trying to make some neat audio snippets for the on-board computer.

video

Still quite clunky, like everything in the game right now, but at least I've got the basic idea down.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Nice. I don't think we've talked about it here, but are you using the XNA framework? At least the ship model is contained in the examples if I'm not mistaken :) Anyway good progress, at least you have some use for your planets. I'm in the third day of writing a really boring report about my work.

By the way, I really liked how the ship collided with the planet upon arrival ;) I know, still development version, but it sparked an idea: what if the warp engine had a small chance of malfunctioning (maybe higher the distance, higher the chance) and spitting you against the surface at high velocity instead of a smooth re-entry?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Billybob said:

Still quite clunky, like everything in the game right now, but at least I've got the basic idea down.

Quote:

You have arrived at your destination

Yes, but more like "You have crashed into your destination" ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2   3 

Go to: