Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » OS Speculations

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
OS Speculations
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

From the Department-of-Redundancy-Department:

but you can't sell copies of Spielbergs latest offering even though you bought the paperback.

Kitty Cat said:

Actually you can. First-sale doctrine, and all. You can't sell copies you made

I meant my photocopied copies, not additional paperbacks I bought.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

SiegeLord said:

Yeah? That's precisely one of the points. Bother Dell with this so they offer an unbundled option.

Probably not going to happen. The vast majority of their users wouldn't want such a thing, so those who do can either suck it up or screw off and build their own system.

OTOH, it wouldn't be hard to swap in a blank hard drive if they did want to sell an "illegal, naked PC".

Yes it would - their motherboards have the licensing info stored in them. I'm not sure on the specifics of it, but I do know that you can flash a BIOS to certain motherboards that's been dumped from Dells/other makers systems and get a "free" Windows license. Of course there are ways of solving this, but it's not worth it, as noted above, because very few customers actually give a crap.

But if you want to be a martyr for this pointless cause, go ahead and waste your time to save $50. Personally, I tend to build my systems, but if I were to buy a prebuilt machine, well, it's prebuilt. Why not complain that you can't get it without a CPU? ::)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Even if you do want to run MS junk, wouldn't you rather have a real install CD and avoid the Norton-AOL-Adobe crippleware? Not to mention using all the bits you paid for on your hard drive.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

For many things I prefer Linux, but I still need Windows for games and I'm alright with that (for now). However, I hate the crippled Windows installs that come bundled with PCs. They're useless garbage. I'd rather pay for the license myself and have a pure Windows system then have to deal with that shit. And depending on how willing I am to part with $300-400 (might as well go for a fully-fledged Windows OS instead of a restricted one), I'm quite likely to put it off or not do it all together and just install a free Linux distribution.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Kitty Cat said:

You own the copy of the contents the moment its paid for. I did not agree to any license before I forked over my cash, and they can't try to push terms on me after the sale. Legally speaking, the moment I buy the copy, I can make a backup copy/ISO, store the original for safe-keeping, then hexedit the ISO to remove any EULA.. (or use Wine, where the EULA tends to not show up, sometimes :P). I didn't make any agreement, and modifying a license without the consent of the other party automatically invalidates that license (if it was even valid to begin with).. but I still own the copy, and thus can do with it what I wish.

You own the physical copy, but not the copyright. Hence, you are NOT allowed to do with it whatever you please, especially not copy. If you do not make an agreement with the copyright holder (and buying a physical copy doesn't imply such an agreement for all I know), then you aren't even entitled to copy the software for the intended purpose.

Legal mumbo-jumbo aside, I think copyright by itself is pretty much OK the way it is. It's how some people / companies use it that bothers me.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

You own the physical copy, but not the copyright. Hence, you are NOT allowed to do with it whatever you please, especially not copy. If you do not make an agreement with the copyright holder (and buying a physical copy doesn't imply such an agreement for all I know), then you aren't even entitled to copy the software for the intended purpose.

The agreement with the copyright holder is implicit with the sale of the copy. That's (part of) what copyright law covers. When you buy a product, you are guaranteed certain rights and privileges (among them, the right to disassemble and reverse engineer). And you are allowed to make copies for backup purposes, if it's reasonable to assume the original copy could be damaged or degrade from use.. and I don't know anyone that would argue that for CD/DVDs.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The ideal copyright law should be that you can't provide copies to other people, dissuading them from buying their own from the copyright holder. You should be able to make as many backups as you want, copy your music to your PC or mp3 player, or however else you decide to enjoy what you paid for. The copyright holder should NOT throw up artificial obstacles to get you to buy multiple versions and copies for your own use. Come to think of it, MS wouldn't mind at all if you pay the "Microsoft tax" for a PC with Windows preinstalled, then purchase a shrinkwrapped copy of Windows as well.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Well, after a while of leaving my thread alone, I have installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I am also going to turn my unused partition on my desktop into a nice Ubuntu pad.

That said, I didn't think it would be this easy. I'm running 1024x768 resolution, my audio works, and I have internet connectivity. With XP I had to install drivers for each of these functions! ??? I thought I was paying for 'the windows experience'?

THIS IS JUST AS EASY AS WINDOWS.

In short: I'm about to transform into a Linux junkie. ;D

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

furinkan said:

With XP I had to install drivers for each of these functions! I thought I was paying for 'the windows experience'?

Without wanting to impute anything against Ubuntu, it's probably a bit unfair to expect XP to have out-of-the-box drivers for your hardware given that the OS is now eight years old and, probably, your machine isn't?

EDIT: I doubt I could be a full-time Linux user as I just don't like most of the desktop software. I'm fine with GIMP and can stomach OpenOffice, but Scribus and Inkscape are really extremely poor for my purposes compared to the Adobe equivalents. And don't even get me started on Blender. I know AC3d is available, which I have a historical fondness for, but it's not what I currently use. And Audacity just winds me up because the sort of things I want to use an audio editor for are clearly just secondary functions of Audacity.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

it's probably a bit unfair to expect XP to have out-of-the-box drivers for your hardware given that the OS is now eight years old and, probably, your machine isn't?

That would depend on if he updated up to and including SP3.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

furinkan said:

With XP I had to install drivers for each of these functions! I thought I was paying for 'the windows experience'?

With XP, I had to download and install a couple drivers (all from the same website). With ubuntu, there was no driver at all.

---
---

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

That would depend on if he updated up to and including SP3.

Good point. And I hope he had; I recently reinstalled my father's computer from c.2003 XP disks (possibly SP1, possibly not) and by the time the machine got as far as downloading one of the various Microsoft malicious spyware removal programs, something out there somewhere had already installed a backdoor into the machine. Had I been aware that he connects directly to the wall through a USB modem, I'd have taken along my laptop to act as a firewall for the duration of the XP install and update cycle...

EDIT: I've installed Ubuntu, but only in a virtual machine. An issue I had above and beyond my general dislike of the current Linux productivity applications was that there seemed to be no GUI-building tools as simple as Interface Builder or even ye olde MFC-in-VC6. So I also didn't like the coding opportunities. The central OS did everything you'd want though; I'd be more than happy to have it on a netbook or any machine mostly for browsing and emailing.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

there seemed to be no GUI-building tools as simple as Interface Builder or even ye olde MFC-in-VC6.

Have you tried Glade? I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Have you tried Glade? I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it.

This experience was a year or two ago, so I'm unable to answer that question directly. However, from the website it looks like Glade isn't integrated with any particular IDE? You need to go into Glade, sketch out your interface and type in all your function names, then write code that includes the same function names declared globally and link to libglade, then explicitly issue a call to load your user interface? And, presumably, scratch your head for absolutely ages if you'd made a typo in one place but not the other.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Actually, I have many computers. I have had to install drivers for video, audio, and networking on all of them. Their ages range from circa 2002 - 2007, and my disk is SP-2. Windows doesn't even try, trust me. Its a real pain in the ass when you HAVE to find a driver for certain hardware. (Especially when the company who made it blatantly refuses to name the built in wifi in your laptop)

Ubuntu won't do anything fancy without a driver, but at least I get 1024x768 resolution. And hell, Allegro ports to Linux just fine! I can take my projecs with me and aside from that all I need is a word processor, and internet!

Perfect school computer. ;D

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

On that vague topic, how's KOffice doing? I'm one of those people that likes simplified user interfaces that optimise the speed and ease of doing things I'm likely to want to do, hence why I'm not too big a fan of pre-2007 Word or OpenOffice, could KOffice be the open-source suite for me?

Sporus
Member #3,815
August 2003

However, from the website it looks like Glade isn't integrated with any particular IDE?

Anjuta (which I've never used) has Glade integration, but that page seems to imply it just encapsulates the program and doesn't do any code generation, so it probably doesn't count.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Sporus said:

but that page seems to imply it just encapsulates the program and doesn't do any code generation, so it probably doesn't count.

That could be fine. The set up I'm currently most used to, here on OS X, is Xcode + Interface Builder, which are separate programs though they do quite a lot to synchronise with each other during the course of projects. There's no real code generation to do though, since the runtime deals with all that. That said, it does go far beyond any other platform I'm aware of and beyond the abilities of vanilla C.

Eg, to populate a table, you draw out the columns in Interface Builder, put a formatter on them, e.g. to say "this column contains numbers expressed as a two-number percentage", give them a variable name, then later you provide a table delegate class which is asked "give me the class instance for row n" as necessary; the columns are automatically populated by looking up the variable names within the class and converting them to the format you asked for — the class can be of any layout and needn't inherit from any automatically generated class, the variables can be of any standard NS type, whether a string or a number or anything else, they'll be reformatted as requested. You can supply instances of completely different classes for different rows, it doesn't matter. It's called key-value coding in Applespeak, see here if your curiousity is piqued.

I guess if I was having to use a predefined structure or else write code to manually populate each cell of a table then I'd be more worried about integration of the one tool with the other. How do the design patters behind GTK deal with this sort of stuff?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

furinkan said:

I have had to install drivers for video, audio, and networking on all of them. Their ages range from circa 2002 - 2007, and my disk is SP-2. Windows doesn't even try, trust me. Its a real pain in the ass when you HAVE to find a driver for certain hardware.

It depends on the manufacturer. XP SP1+ has the drivers for all of those on the machine I run it on.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

furinkan said:

That said, I didn't think it would be this easy. I'm running 1024x768 resolution, my audio works, and I have internet connectivity. With XP I had to install drivers for each of these functions! I thought I was paying for 'the windows experience'?

First of all, I've seen very little Linux installations that work 100% out of the box like that.

Second of all, your laptop was likely made after XP came out, which is why you had to install drivers. I'm sure Linux didn't have your drives back then either. Install Vista or Win 7 (if you have enough RAM) and I bet you you don't have to install any drivers.

GUI-building tools as simple as Interface Builder or even ye olde MFC-in-VC6.

Heh, saying Interface Builder is nice is kinda like saying the GIMP is nice. :-/

However, from the website it looks like Glade isn't integrated with any particular IDE? You need to go into Glade, sketch out your interface and type in all your function names, then write code that includes the same function names declared globally and link to libglade, then explicitly issue a call to load your user interface? And, presumably, scratch your head for absolutely ages if you'd made a typo in one place but not the other.

Sounds marginally better than IB. I like VS, where I can just double click the event I want and type in my code. None of this making controllers, connecting stuff together, blah blah blah.

furinkan said:

Actually, I have many computers. I have had to install drivers for video, audio, and networking on all of them. Their ages range from circa 2002 - 2007, and my disk is SP-2. Windows doesn't even try, trust me. Its a real pain in the when you HAVE to find a driver for certain hardware. (Especially when the company who made it blatantly refuses to name the built in wifi in your laptop)

I haven't had to install any drivers on Windows 7 - the ones that it didnt include it downloaded automatically for me. Come to think of it, I didn't have to install any for Vista either.

As someone else said, it's ridiculous to expect an ancient copy of XP to include new drivers.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

BAF said:

Sounds marginally better than IB. I like VS, where I can just double click the event I want and type in my code. None of this making controllers, connecting stuff together, blah blah blah.

Right, but that's because you still don't understand Interface Builder. The point of the connections is that you can connect an action to any off:

• a method you intend to implement in a specific class;

• a method that already exists in any other object in Interface Builder;

• an object such as the first responder, which means that the message will be sent to whichever window or view is currently the first responder.

(EDIT: and probably a bunch of other things I've not thought of)

The fact that you only ever want to do the first of those doesn't justify cutting down the entire editor so that it is the only option.

For example, see BYOB: Build Your Own Browser — by wiring the actions associated with buttons directly to the methods available in a WebView, you can build a basic web browser entirely in Interface Builder with no code whatsoever. EDIT: which isn't to say that the code exists but is hidden from you, it actually doesn't exist. A button stores the name of an object and the method to call when pressed as data, then the Objective-C runtime finds the method at runtime.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I think it's pretty strange that some people say "Ubuntu works perfectly out of the box, while for Windows I need to hunt down a bunch of drivers and it is a pain in the arse...", while other people just as confidently state the opposite. I guess different hardware give different results, but then some of these people go on to claim that the story is the same for multiple computers! In my experience, Windows has always worked out of the box. I haven't tried installing any Linux for a few years now because I got sick of people telling me "it has improved a lot since then, it works as well, if not better, than Windows now" - only for me to find that I still have to futz around with drivers and config files and stuff just to get Flash working or whatever. I'm glad that it works well for some people.

-----------

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

@Karadoc: The difference is that if it doesn't work out-of-the-box, your chances for success are much higher if you use windows - simply because a hardware manufacturer cannot afford to not support windows.

---
---

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

@Karadoc: Funny you should say that; I cant get Flash to work. And the pretty after-effects built into the system won't work until after I hunt down a driver. :P

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

only for me to find that I still have to futz around with drivers and config files and stuff just to get Flash working or whatever. I'm glad that it works well for some people.

Flash worked fine for me on Ubuntu without any messing around on both my desktop and my laptop :P
Though if you can tell me how to switch graphic modes to "center desktop" (where the screen is permanently in a fixed resolution and any other resolution just causes black pixels to surround it) I'd be ever so grateful ;)

1   2   3   4 

Go to: