Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Killed over Halo 3

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Killed over Halo 3
Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Not everyone can have one of those you know. We can't all be piccolos. ::)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Why not just have kids do what their parents tell them to do? I've done that for 20 years without any issue. The idiotic culture of teenage rebellion is at fault here... there's only so much parents can do, when the media and entertainment urges them to rebel and be independent for the sake of rebelling and being independent.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Funny indeed. ;D

I mean, if it were that easy, the world really would be perfect.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Obviously that key should have been locked up. >:(

I've said it before and I'll say it again: guns aren't the problem anymore than video games are.

And neither are keys.

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

Quote:

Obviously that key should have been locked up. >:(

And the key to unlock the first key should have been locked up, and that key should have been locked up...

I love America -- I love the rights we used to have
George Carlin

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Unto infinity.

The problem here is the kid. Not the fact that he played video games; not the fact that he had access to a gun; it's a problem with the kid and his relationship with his parents. Had he been trained properly to use the gun and had impressed on him the
proper circumstances for its use, it would not have happened--or else whoever trained him would have spotted the fact that he was a raving lunatic earlier.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Why not just have kids do what their parents tell them to do?

They must've gotten the defective model.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

And the key to unlock the first key should have been locked up, and that key should have been locked up...

Unless you lock the key inside the same box as the gun! Then you avoid needing an infinite number of keys.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

All you'd need then is a gun to shoot the box open, like in the movies.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

void lock_up_key (int key) {
    // Create a new key to lock the current one up.
    int new_key = create_new_key ();

// First param - what to lock up, second - the key
    lock_up_with_key (key, new_key);

// Lock up the key.
    lock_up_key (new_key);
}

??????

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Hint: It doesn't work.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

They should have used one of those electronic combination locks where you have to type in the numbers. Or even a regular cheap safe with a dial. It'd seem like forever to open if there's a burglar rummaging around though.

George Carlin

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

not the fact that he had access to a gun; it's a problem with the kid and his relationship with his parents.

The fact that the kid had access to a gun inside his home was the fatal error. However there's always not only one event leading to a distaster, rather a whole chain of events. In this case it began with faulty upbringing from the parents. Maybe even their lack of interest. So the kid was growing up on his own. Add misunderstandings with parents, which are common at the time of puberty, to the mix and you're getting a pretty explosive coctail.

Now it's enough that the kid is a bit agressive, so instead of running away from home he'll get angry and resort to violence. At this moment it's too late for correcting mistakes in upbringing. And that's probably what happened when the kid brought Halo home. It got confiscated, he got angry and was desperate to find it, what a surprise that the game was hidden alongside a gun and ammo. That was fatal error nr. 2. And was probably the last one his mother did.

Needless to say that I'd bet, that this kid has been kinda addicted to gaming. But anyway I'd not blame games. It's always people's fault. In this case most probably improper upbringing.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

Quote:

The fact that the kid had access to a gun inside his home was the fatal error

Then they'd better lock up all the kitchen knives, sporting equipment such as baseball bats, tools such as hammers, clotheslines (garrots) etc. And plenty of people have been smothered with their own pillows (assuming the kid was strong enough to prevent them from struggling free).

George Carlin

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Then they'd better lock up all the kitchen knives, sporting equipment such as baseball bats, tools such as hammers, clotheslines (garrots) etc. And plenty of people have been smothered with their own pillows (assuming the kid was strong enough to prevent them from struggling free).

No you've completely missed my point. Those things you have just described are objects of everyday use. However, as nearly any object, they can be turned into weapons. On the other hand a gun is a thing specifically designed to kill. It has no other purpose. Therefore if you decide to have one at home, it needs to be locked out. It's ammo stored separately. And in any way kids should not have access to it.

(I feel the thin ice around, so please no gun discussion)

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

So when I want to hammer a nail, and there is no clawhammer around, I won't use a cresent wrench? NOT! A clawhammer is specifically used to drive and pull nails.

George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

So when I want to hammer a nail, and there is no clawhammer around, I won't use a cresent wrench? NOT! A clawhammer is specifically used to drive and pull nails.

Yes, some tools have one function. But a hammer's true function is to drive and pull nails. As an extra you can kill people with it, but you have to get close enough to do it.

With a hand gun, its true function is to kill people, and as an extra, you can drive nails with it (if you feel lucky, you can do it with the gun loaded). And you don't need to get very close to kill a person with a gun either, nor be very good at using it.

If the problem was purely the kid, he could have gotten at the knifes MUCH easier and stabbed both his parents many many time over the course of years. But he didn't.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Sol Blast
Member #9,655
April 2008

Quote:

With a hand gun, its true function is to kill people, and as an extra, you can drive nails with it

I've heard the NRA use that one a few times.

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

If they "closed their eyes for a surprise" I'm pretty sure he could have gotten close enough with a hammer. And have you ever fired a handgun? Most people would miss a human body half the time at 5 meters if it was their first time.

George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I highly doubt the NRA would ever mention that a gun's true function is to kill people.

Quote:

Most people would miss a human body half the time at 5 meters if it was their first time.

I doubt their living room was 5 meters wide. And his dad managed not to get killed, so he could have easily overpowered the kid before he even got to the mom. If the kid didn't have a ranged weapon.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Roy Underthump
Member #10,398
November 2008

They usually bring up the fact that the sight of a gun deters violence something like 90% of the time when defending property (no actual shooting needed). OTOH, if burglars thought most people had a gun (and knew how to use it) they'd go find an easier line of "work" (sucking off the government, who use their own guns to redistrubute wealth for votes)

George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

They usually bring up the fact that the sight of a gun deters violence something like 90% of the time when defending property (no actual shooting needed).

Theres an old saying, Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics. Generally a group like the NRA will use "tweaked" statistics to prove a point, even if the data was falsified.

--

Sol Blast
Member #9,655
April 2008

Quote:

They usually bring up the fact that the sight of a gun deters violence something like 90% of the time when defending property (no actual shooting needed). OTOH, if burglars thought most people had a gun (and knew how to use it) they'd go find an easier line of "work" (sucking off the government, who use their own guns to redistrubute wealth for votes)

Better than say, an alarm system would? ???.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Roy: stay on topic.

(Damn it, too late. Run for shelter. :-/)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Another thing about guns is that one doesn't have to try to kill someone with one. It is very easy - much easier than with a knife or a baseball bat or whatever. I've never tried to kill anyone... but I imagine that killings such as the one we are talking about in this thread occur during a moment of weakness in the killer. My guess is that not a lot of planning or forethought went into this killing; rather it was a snap decision made in anger. I also imagine that it would take greater determination or even attempt to kill someone with some other weapon. My guess is that the physical effort and proximity (etc) required to kill someone with a knife make these sorts of killing much less likely (than they are with guns).

I'm not sure if I'm articulating my thoughts well. All I'm really trying to say is that although other things can be used as weapons to kill someone, a gun is far more likely to be used and is thus far more dangerous to have around.

-----------

1   2   3   4 

Go to: