Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is It Feasible To Colonize Another Planet With Today's Technology?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Is It Feasible To Colonize Another Planet With Today's Technology?
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Keep in mind that I know nothing about how Rugby is played.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

It was invented at Rugby School (where Tom Brown was tortured in the eponymous novel) by a scrophulous youth who flagrantly flouted the Laws Of Association Football by picking the ball up and carrying it over the opposing team's goal line. The youth was of course immediately whipped, tattooed and exiled to The Colonies, but the Games Masters were intrigued by the potential carnage if all the boys were made to fight hand-to-hand for possession of the ball, and so they devised a game with an egg-shaped ball, involving martial arts and police-dog training, which has spawned a variety of derivatives that are enjoyed by the worldwide sado-masochistic community today.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

And to honour that, the American version of the game was called football?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

America has rugby?

We must. My current female-fix, who happens to be a physics major, oddly enough, is on UW's rugby team -- I'm not sure if we have a national league or even a college league, I just know that UW has a women's rugby team.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Small radius centrifugal force can give you motion sickness due to the high rate of rotation required. The fluid in the vestibular system (used to detect falling over) will rotate along with the space station and all is well. But if you rotate your head to look 90 degrees away, the rotation is out of phase, and you get sick just like you'd stopped spinning to get dizzy.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I have lost all faith in humanity. Again. Someone suggested Saturn to me as a possible colonization site. She did not realize Saturn is a gas giant. I cry for her. :'(

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

i have lost faith in humans a long time ago.

http://www.freemars.org/jeff/planets/planets5.htm

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

The real stepping stone to space is anti-gravity. Without it, nothing is really feasible.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I would think some form of enertial dampers would be more usefull. You can always just create a long ship and spin it end over end, and deal with any dizyness ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

From the known laws of physics, anti gravity is impossible. What if, say, gravity could be manipulated? Slingshot effect for ships in orbit, all kinds of things.

Still pretty Sci-fi. What we need is an archology.

1   2   3 

Go to: