Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » S/NES style games

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
S/NES style games
Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

Quote:

Tactics Ogre does that, I can't stand it -- I turned it on to play it and bam a half an hour of boring meaningless cut scene with one battle at around 28 mins and then it started cut scening again, so I turned it off... That's ridiculous.

You're missing out on a really good game :(.

I really like games with a good story, and cutscenes help me get more involved I guess. Sometimes getting to see the next cutscene is what actually motivates me to play more. Weird I guess, but that's me.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Mokkan, I've been told this, but that game tortured me -- I don't think I can forgive it.

Quote:

A cutscene where a major character dies or where the world gets invaded by purple hamsters, that's awesome. What I hate are cutscenes where a few characters get together and just talk.

This gave me a wonderful idea: I want to make a really simple game (pacman, tetris, arkanoid, something like this) where every five minutes or so, something really dramatic happens via cutscene -- something completely unrelated to the actual game. Yes, purple hampsters invading the world... Yes, the sun going super nova... yes, the main characters mother just got murdered by mother fucking satan.

Wow, I'd play that.

inspiredmarine
Member #7,979
November 2006

Michael Jensen said:

This gave me a wonderful idea: I want to make a really simple game (pacman, tetris, arkanoid, something like this) where every five minutes or so, something really dramatic happens via cutscene -- something completely unrelated to the actual game. Yes, purple hampsters invading the world... Yes, the sun going super nova... yes, the main characters mother just got murdered by mother fucking satan.

Yeah, I'd definately play a game like that ... it sounds pretty awesome!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Tactics Ogre does that, I can't stand it --

I loved that game except for the horrible system where you essentially get punished for leveling your troops. Having to do skirmishes just to get everyone to the same level before proceeding to the next battle was lame.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mokkan said:

I really like games with a good story, and cutscenes help me get more involved I guess. Sometimes getting to see the next cutscene is what actually motivates me to play more. Weird I guess, but that's me.

I can relate to that. I enjoy the game as much as the cut scene, but the cut scenes do drive me.

Michael Jensen said:

;D

I just started playing Final Fantasy XII last night (awesome, but for another thread). Similarly to FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus (I assume all FF games as of recent), FFXII allows you to pause or skip the FMV sequences as well as exit to the main menu. :)

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

FFXII allows you to pause or skip the FMV sequences as well as exit to the main menu.

I find that is essential for longer cutscenes. Last night I bought Super Paper Mario and eagerly started playing it. After a very satisfying (and lengthy) intro cutscene I eagerly began playing. I believe the first question you answer is something along the lines of "Will you save the world!!1?". Being the cheeky and funny guy I am I said "Nah". It asked two more times and I refused each time... after which I got a game over ;D

I didn't mind the fact that I got a game over as I was pseudo expecting it, but what I was peeved about was that I HAD to go through the entire openening cutscene again. The first time was enough (it's fairly lengthy remember) I rushed the dialog as much as possible fervently pushing the button to make the text instantly appear and it still seemed to take a horrendously long time...

The game itself is still great though 8-)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Don't get me wrong -- I like cutscenes -- Halo and Halo 2 had me begging for the next part of the story -- it just depends on the game I guess...

What I really hate, is not having it saved, and accidently skipping past a cutscene I haven't seen before. But really really ridiculously long boring cutscenes are worthless and steal from the game play.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I've seen videos of the cut scenes from the new Contra. For some - reason - they talk - with - long - pauses - between - their - words - like - it's - a - language - learning - course.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Michael Jensen said:

What I really hate, is not having it saved, and accidently skipping past a cutscene I haven't seen before. But really really ridiculously long boring cutscenes are worthless and steal from the game play.

True. Final Fantasy XII has a solution for this. You first pause the game by pressing Start (PlayStation) and then you have the option of skipping the FMV sequence by pressing X (PlayStation) or returning to the main menu by pressing Square (PlayStation) or unpausing by either pressing Circle or again pressing Start (PlayStation). It would require some coordinated accidental button presses to skip an FMV sequence you didn't intend to. Much better than a "press any key to skip" or "press the action key to skip" design. ;D

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Quote:

FFXII allows you to pause or skip the FMV sequences as well as exit to the main menu.

By main menu, are we talking about the title screen? If so, that's the most useless feature in a game ever. It's like saying: "Don't wanna watch the cutscene? Just stop playing!"

Quote:

believe the first question you answer is something along the lines of "Will you save the world!!1?". Being the cheeky and funny guy I am I said "Nah".

I laughed out loud (abbreviation style, dawg!). ;D

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

What I really hate, is not having it saved, and accidently skipping past a cutscene I haven't seen before.

This reminds me:

What I really hate are games that only allow me to save in specific locations/times/only retarded autosave etc.
I should be able to save and stop playing everywhere and anytime, I'm not a slave to the game that I should only be able to play the game for one hour long sessions because there isn't a damned save point anywhere >: (

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

What I really hate are games that only allow me to save in specific locations/times/only retarded autosave etc.

That is a hardcore bonus. Casual gamers allow you to save anytime with a quicksave function (like the one implemented in most, if not all, handheld games).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

That is a hardcore bonus. Casual gamers allow you to save anytime with a quicksave function (like the one implemented in most, if not all, handheld games).

Then why have saves at all? Lets just be really hardcore and force you to play the entire game in one session?
None of that whole "Pause" thing either, only pussies need to stop playing the game at some point.
There won't even be a menu once you start the game, you should have configured everything before you started playing. (via obscure and undocumented command line options)
You won't be allowed to close the game either, the only way to leave it is reach the end or die trying. (Or pulling the PSU from the outlet, since the game will disable the OS's shutdown and reset options, as well as Task Manager (or equivilant) and Alt Tab (or equivilant))

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Jeff Bernard said:

By main menu, are we talking about the title screen? If so, that's the most useless feature in a game ever. It's like saying: "Don't wanna watch the cutscene? Just stop playing!"

No, it's like saying "if you want to switch to another saved game during an FMV sequence you don't have to wait for the FMV sequence to end nor do you have to approach your console and wait for it to reboot. You can just exit the FMV sequence." ::)

Slartibartfast said:

I should be able to save and stop playing everywhere and anytime, I'm not a slave to the game that I should only be able to play the game for one hour long sessions because there isn't a damned save point anywhere >: (

It can be frustrating, but it's part of the gameplay in FF. If you could save ANYWHERE it would be too easy to save after every battle and never really risk anything. Instead you need to plan your route better to find save points along the way and gauge battles.

Speaking of which, last night I lost ~2 hours worth of leveling up because of a stupid mistake... I was on my way back to a save point, killing monsters the whole way to gain more EXP/LP. There happened to be a T-Rex and for some reason I was SURE I had fought it before earlier in the game (I had just started playing the day before yesterday). I had convinced myself that the T-Rex's were surprisingly really weak (contrary to their large physical size) and decided to kill it on my way, expecting an effortless battle. About the time my initial slash did 0 hp damage I realized ":o NO!!!!!!" The T-Rex changed from "you're not bothering me so I won't bother you" to "I'm gonna kill you! >:(" In one hit it did more than enough damage to kill me. Game over. :'(

I don't mind though. It's part of what makes FF series what it is. It's not supposed to be too easy. Some games, like FPSs, benefit from being able to save anywhere, but other games use saving as another element of the gameplay. Last night I learned not to mess with the T-Rexs yet. ;)

I still recall defeating a T-Rex... I can't explain it. Maybe I'm crazy. :D I might have fabricated the whole thing... :'(

Slartibartfast said:

[Bitch...]

::)

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

If you could save ANYWHERE it would be too easy to save after every battle and never really risk anything.

Wow, we actually agree on something :0

Risk in an important element in certain gaming experiences. When you have the ability to save anytime/anywhere you rob yourself of the tension that comes from knowing you have something at stake by losing/croaking. Now just to be fair, because I know someone will bring it up, I don't support games that have inconveniently placed or difficult to use save areas. Having to backtrack thirty minutes or collect typewriter ribbons absolutely won't cut it. I don't buy the whole "But what if I'm interrupted?" whine because we have the ability to pause for near indefinite periods of time, and we can always say "Wait a minute while I run to the save point." That, and in over 27 years of gaming I've never encountered a situation where I just had to turn off my PC or console and lost valuable progress.

-->

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

It can be frustrating, but it's part of the gameplay in FF.

Depends on wether you're running it with an emulator or not :)

Quote:

Slartibartfast said:
[Bitch...]

I have to say its quite stupid to treat bad design and lame tricks like those, used to increase longevity* as a "bonus".
*-I accept that in earlier consoles they were more of a necessity, but there's no excuse for that on a PC. (or any console with a built-in HD)

EDIT:

Quote:

Risk in an important element in certain gaming experiences. When you have the ability to save anytime/anywhere you rob yourself of the tension that comes from knowing you have something at stake by losing/croaking.

No one is forcing you to abuse saving to void the game of risk. However you are forced to use a crappy saving schematic in those other games.

Quote:

I don't buy the whole "But what if I'm interrupted?" whine because we have the ability to pause for near indefinite periods of time,

If you feel like leaving your computer on for the night. And assuming it won't crash meanwhile (happens occasionaly. As well as a blown fuse or other interruption of electricity).

Quote:

and we can always say "Wait a minute while I run to the save point."

Well. No you can't. Especially when it takes a lot of time to reach the next save point, or the previous one. (Have you tried Overlord? You either have to go all the way to the next save point, go to the previous one and replay everything from there again, or quit and also suffer penalties.)

Either way, I should be allowed to quit whenever I want - how about if I'm bored and want to play something else? Maybe that was a really tiring boss battle and I just want to take a short rest and browse some forums a bit? What if I just don't feel like playing anymore?
Heck! What if I feel like switching to <Notepad equivilant> and write down my experiences in the game? Maybe I found something really cool and I have to talk about it right now? Maybe I want to fire up some sort of <Fraps equivilant> to record the next scene?

And even if you want some sort of restrictive save system, why not just allow exactly one save and overwrite it everytime you save? That almost completely annihilates "save scumming".
Take a look at "Warlords: Battlecry"'s saving system, it provides no lenience for save abuse, but still allows to save and quit whenever you just don't want to (or can't) play anymore.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Some developers provide a suspend function where you can suspend, but not save, your game. Or you can do things like the original Soldier of Fortune where you have a limited number of saves per level. The important thing is to set your save function(s) appropriately for the game you are making. Your game design 'toolbox' should be full of implements and you shouldn't rely on a single technique.

-->

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

Some developers provide a suspend function where you can suspend, but not save, your game.

Never seen that. Where did you see that?

Quote:

Or you can do things like the original Soldier of Fortune where you have a limited number of saves per level.

This is still a problem for all the same reasons before, except you have a few more saves before you run into those problems. (Which admitedly, alleviates them a bit)

Quote:

The important thing is to set your save function(s) appropriately for the game you are making. Your game design 'toolbox' should be full of implements and you shouldn't rely on a single technique.

True.
Then again you should also remember not to piss off players with a poor save system, or by forcing them into playing the game. (Unless of course its a game designed to piss off people. Though I don't see why you would want to make a game like that)

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Having certains spots where you can and cannot save just adds a bit of challenge to some games. That's just my opinion.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Never seen that. Where did you see that?

I'm going from memory here... but I remember doing that on Ogre Battle 64 as well as Tactics Ogre. There were several games I played from the PS1 era that I can't quite remember right now. I also seem to recall a few Dreamcast titles like Illbleed and Evolution offering a 'suspend' option.

Honestly, it hasn't been utilized nearly enough.

-->

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Lets just be really hardcore and force you to play the entire game in one session?
I remember I got a pirated copy of Captain Tsubasa for SNES, without battery capabilities, we spent nine hours until we passed the first two championship. That was challenging ;)

Personally, let people save anywhere, and let those same people to decide whether they want to make the game easy or hard.

Quote:

There happened to be a T-Rex and for some reason I was SURE I had fought it before earlier in the game (I had just started playing the day before yesterday).

Hehehe, I remember in FFVI there was this woods with T-Rex where you could power up. The first time I found a brachosaur there I knew I was in trouble ;)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

Hehehe, I remember in FFVI there was this woods with T-Rex where you could power up. The first time I found a brachosaur [finalfantasy.wikia.com] there I knew I was in trouble

Heh, I remember that. Those bastards were seriously dangerous! That was a great area for grinding. Tons of EXP, MP, and item drops.

-->

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Casual games should allow you to save your progress anywhere. You can't expect women to beat a real game. ;) However, hardcore games aren't supposed to hold your hand.

And for the ladies, I'm only kidding. :) Some of you are hardcore gamers and that's awesome. 8-):D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

What I really hate is games that let you save anywhere, but then start you back in the last city you where in. cough Dungeon Siege II cough. That's one of the reasons I didn't finish that game.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

What I really hate is games that let you save anywhere, but then start you back in the last city you where in. cough Dungeon Siege II cough. That's one of the reasons I didn't finish that game.

Or like Doom I+II.

What I hate are games that let you save anywhere and are so hard that you can't beat them without saving/loading. After a couple of save-load-load-....-load-save-load-load-.....-load orgys something in your brain starts to change and you want to save/load in real life, too. It's disturbing.

1   2   3 

Go to: