Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Average height of allegro members in cm

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Average height of allegro members in cm
HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

I'm not going to arsed getting any further into this.

Lose your obsession with there needing to be a hierarchical order, and that something has to be better or best. It's impacting your judgment.

And the word is hence.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

1.85m is a nice small number but saying one-eighty-five also rolls off the tongue. That hottie sharapova is right around my height, i think she's 190 though.

It's funny though in canada. if you look at trades (arguably less educated) they tend to use imperial to describe force and small measurements (such as carpenters, etc). I think most farmers use hectares instead of acres too. I also find it funny with older people. They will say the highway speed is 100 miles an hour, when they clearly mean 100km/hour. Sometimes they'll also say 15miles instead of 15km. But even the old farts can't tell you how hot 68F is.

Thinks like liquid and gas, mass (except bodyweight which is done in both) are all done in metric. 4L jug of milk, 1L of gas, 1kg of beef, 200g of sliced meat, 5kg of fruit, etc. I've never seen someone ever say i want 2lbs of apples or X (ounces?) of sliced turkey breast.

I'm sure even bamccaig can tell you how far 400m, 200m, 100m, or even 5m is. Exits on highways are about 200 - 400m after the sign and 400m is the length of a running track. 1cm is around the width of a skinny pinky, a ruler is 30cm ~ 1foot. TV's are measure in inches but i think that's an american influence. I know how bit a 19" monitor is but i could tell you the same if it were 15 rods. The actual measurement is meaningless to me.

All sciences and engineering are obviously done in metric.

edit: bytes.. kilo byte = 2^10, mega byte = 2^20, giga byte = 2^30 ~ 10^9
It's mostly metric.. but that's why 10KiB exists.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

I was replying to Neil saying that metric wasn't good for all occasions. I was implying nothing about the suitability of imperial measurements.

You didn't correct me, because you completely misunderstood me. Hence, you're wrong. :P

Did I misunderstand you or did you poorly communicate your idea?

LennyLen said:

...metric is good for all occasions.

Sounds like you said that metric is always good (all) and imperial is only good if you're used to it. Myself and other members have illustrated that metric is not good for all occasions. :)

HardTranceFan said:

I'm not going to arsed getting any further into this.

What? ;D

HardTranceFan said:

Lose your obsession with there needing to be a hierarchical order, and that something has to be better or best. It's impacting your judgment.

Hierarchical order? Where did that come from? ??? There is always a better and best, but sometimes (arguably, often) it's relative (like we've shown can be true for measurement units).

HardTranceFan said:

And the word is hence.

So it is. :P

Goalie Ca said:

They will say the highway speed is 100 miles an hour, when they clearly mean 100km/hour. Sometimes they'll also say 15miles instead of 15km. But even the old farts can't tell you how hot 68F is.

I don't know what you're talking about. I've never witnessed any of this... ::)

Goalie Ca said:

Thinks like liquid and gas, mass (except bodyweight which is done in both) are all done in metric. 4L jug of milk, 1L of gas, 1kg of beef, 200g of sliced meat, 5kg of fruit, etc. I've never seen someone ever say i want 2lbs of apples or X (ounces?) of sliced turkey breast.

Actually meat is often sold in pounds (lbs) here, which if I'm not mistaken is an imperial unit. I'm sure there are other things sold by the pound, but I'm not much of a grocery shopper... ::)

Goalie Ca said:

I'm sure even bamccaig can tell you how far 400m, 200m, 100m, or even 5m is. Exits on highways are about 200 - 400m after the sign and 400m is the length of a running track.

Even? >:(

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Did I misunderstand you or did you poorly communicate your idea?

Both. If you took what I was replying to into account, it should still have been obvious what I meant though.

Quote:

Sounds like you said that metric is always good (all) and imperial is only good if you're used to it.

I was trying not to come across as saying metric was the only good system. They're both fine for all occasions if you're used to them, and pretty useless when you're not.

Quote:

Myself and other members have illustrated that metric is not good for all occasions.

Because you're used to using imperial units.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

Because you're used to using imperial units.

Right... As opposed to illustrating that metric isn't good for all occasions by never using imperial. ::)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Right... As opposed to illustrating that metric isn't good for all occasions by never using imperial.

Please, pray tell, what gives you the idea that I'm attempting to illustrate that imperial isn't good?

Joshua Rogers
Member #2,499
June 2002

193 cm

---

Now approaching 0.1 forum posts per year!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

How do they study classical mechanics and physics without the metric system? Is it even possible? I mean m != F, meaning you can't compare kg with N, but you seem to be able to use lbs for measuring both masses and forces.

I guess physics is really difficult for a person not familiar with the metric system. My favourite example of the simplicity is the different units of energy in the metric system:
If you make a mass of 1 kg accelerate 1 m/s per second (1 m/s2), you use a force of 1 N.
Moving a mass with the force 1 N one metre, you use an energy of 1 Nm.
1 Nm equals 1 Ws, which is the energy that you use, if you burn a 1 W light bulb for one second (theoretically speaking, you have to use the right potential, then there's a loss in the conductors etc).
And 1 Nm == 1 Ws == 1 J. One calory is about 4.2 Joule.

The calory unit itself is not bad at all. Probably that's why it is still used even where the metric system is prefered. With one calory you can warm 1 g of water 1° C, which sounds very metric.

Another simplicity is that 1 litre == 1000 cm3, 1000 litre == 1m3. And 1 litre of water has a mass of 1 kg! And that goes for milk, juices, spirits etc. So when the recipy says add 1.5 dl of yoghurt, I don't use a measuring cup to measure 1.5 dl of yoghurt. I just put the bowl on the kitchen weighing machine and add 150 g of yoghurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Please, pray tell, what gives you the idea that I'm attempting to illustrate that imperial isn't good?

He's right, you're wrong, and he likes nothing more than to argue endlessly about something everyone else came to a conclusion about much earlier.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Weight is measured in pounds where I'm from. The only distance that is measured using metric units are long distances, usually related to travel. I, for one, using imperial units there as well.

Now you're being inconsistent. First you said mass is measured in kilograms, and then that it's measured in pounds? Make up your mind. I'm assuming here that you mean "mass" all along, because weight is measured in Newtons anyhow, neither pounds nor kilograms. Maybe we should just add "mind-shattering inconsistency" to the nails in the imperial coffin...

But really, the main problem with imperial distance units is that you can't divide or multiply them intuitively unless you want to just give up and only use the smallest one for everything. 12 inches in a foot, three feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile... eurghh. And don't even try to get into measuring sub-inch distances. That just gets evil.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

SI gives you bigger numbers and more precision. So it's clearly better than feet, inches and miles.

And I have no idea how tall I am, but I think it's around swedish average. Maybe a little taller, and that's without even socks on my feet.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

and that's without even socks on my feet.

I was wondering what that stench was. >:(

Put your socks back on man.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

171... and a half :'(

--
sig used to be here

Sporus
Member #3,815
August 2003

180cm < (´・ω・) ≤ 183cm

Can't remember anything more specific and I don't seem to have it on paper anywhere. Which kind of makes sense seeing as my last "physical" consisted of the person wondering about my lack of exercise and making sly inquiries into my sexual preference. Meh, at least it didn't cost me anything.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Quote:

Which kind of makes sense seeing as my last "physical" consisted of the person wondering about my lack of exercise and making sly inquiries into my sexual preference. Meh, at least it didn't cost me anything.

There is a good story in there, somewhere. Share, please?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

[more bugging the imperialists]
Another strange thing is using fractions of this and that. Like 3 3/8 inch. You need to perform some calculation to compare 3/8 with 10/24. The good thing with it is how you kind of change the precision in a binary way. 3 1/2 inches is simply 3 1/2 inches, even if the precision is +-0.2 inches. You can't say 3.5 inches, if the precision is not +-0.05 inches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

I am 1.03 diggetydoo in height, which equals to 52.75 hammertimes and √47 pine cone buildings if it's dark, √59 if not.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

I'm 1.78 last time I checked. Though that was cheating with socks on, I believe.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Sporus
Member #3,815
August 2003

Kibiz0r said:

There is a good story in there, somewhere. Share, please?

Not really much to share. I have a remarkably sedentary lifestyle and am worthless at trying to conceal it, which accounts for the first part. As for the second... The nurse just seemed awfully eager to know whether I "kept an eye out for the opposite sex" regardless of the university's gender distribution being heavily bent towards the male side. She may have taken my perplexity at the absurdity of the questions for hesitation to answer and was possibly going to recommend the local gay/lesbian student society in case I'd throw an emo fit and tearfully confess to being a homosexual freak or something to that effect.

In case you were wondering, I'm greasy, smelly and socially incompetent, and the nurse had 25+ years on me, so there was no magic in the air. I hope. :o

As an aside, around May Day the same student health organization was handing out water bottles with condoms taped on them. The bottles had labels saying something like "Head clear, rubber near".* :)

And I'm done derailing the thread just about... now.

*) Approximative translation; the original was "Yläpää kirkkaana, alapää puhtaana". As if that means anything to you.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

190cm.

I could actually be a real protoss!

Edward Sheets
Member #4,734
June 2004

HardTranceFan said:

Height measurements are done with shoes off.

Ok 185.42 ;D

---

Note: carving a pentagram on the top of a container of spoiled yogurt does not summon a yogurt demon. -Kikaru

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

181 inches.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

181 inches.

Holy cow, you are 4.5m tall! are you a troll? ;)

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

185. I think it's strange how narrow a range (manjula excepted) we all are. Much smaller than the average spread I would have thought.

Go to: