Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro Hack Day - May 2007

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Allegro Hack Day - May 2007
Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Hey, keep it civil! I think gnolam has a valid complaint, although we're hopefully in the middle of addressing it now. Let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I would like to hear what his idea of an API plan is. Maybe at a higher level than most of us are thinking?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Maybe at a higher level than most of us are thinking?

Doubtful... Oh, you mean in a technical sense. Never mind then.

If he had anything valid to say, he'd have said it instead of complaining about everyone else not doing anything.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I think gnolam has a valid complaint

Never said he doesn't. Just said that doing no more than complain about it isn't constructive. Ok, so I may have said it a bit harshly.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

This is an open source project, not some commercial thing. If someone wants to make a road map more power to them. If no one wants to then who cares.

You have to enjoy developing it or why are you even doing it?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

From my perspective as someone who's not really "in the loop," I'd say the two most lacking areas are:

• AllegroRoadmap - That page is probably sorely out of date. A useful road map would list all components in a single table. It could be a very high level with general milestones. It's not about setting a due date, but just keeping an eye on what is done.

• A high level description of each module that explains the fundamental differences between it and the 4.2 way. Some of the pages are better than others. For example, the "Display API proposal" looks promising.

I personally don't even know everything that is going into 4.3/4.4. From what I've seen it's basically 5.0... (And from a "marketing" standpoint, I think it should be called 5.0.)

Regarding this Saturday, is it safe to say 12:00 UTC is the official begin time? TF was the only one that mentioned a preferred time (avoiding afternoons). As it is now, it will be 5AM for Dustin and 10PM for Peter (if they live in the timezones I think they do).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

from a "marketing" standpoint, I think it should be called 5.0

Eventually it will be. For now, there will be no complete 5.0 release as its being done piece by piece instead of all at once, like was planned before.

Quote:

TF was the only one that mentioned a preferred time (avoiding afternoons)

Yeah, I have a thing from about 5pm MST/MDT onwards (probably till 12-2am), and 12 UTC is about 5-6am.. so getting up for the meeting will leave me quite drained for the other appointment. Don't bother scheduling around me though. At this point, I really don't have much to add. Besides getting input on my update to the File Systems page. I'll eventually flesh out the api and docs on there as well.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Eventually it will be. For now, there will be no complete 5.0 release as its being done piece by piece instead of all at once, like was planned before.

I just meant that there doesn't seem to be any need for a 4.4 series. There are enough changes in the works already to warrant a 5 number. If there are any major things that don't make it in the next stable release, we always have version 6. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Think of the 4.3+ series as the WIP version numbers, like 3.9.x was. Thats all it is really.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

On the documentation front, I placed the modules listed on the New API page all under the NewAPI folder and created stubs for the modules that have an API.

I also wrote up a page on the Events module. It's meant to give an overview on how to use the events and to answer any common questions. It is not a complete API reference, as that already exists via the source generated comments.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Hello, you may remember I did some work on Allegro's OS X port a while ago. Unfortunately I haven't got any time for Allegro or programming stuff anymore, but I have got a partially complete OpenGL driver for 4.3. I alluded to this on the Wiki.

I'll attach it here, hopefully it will be useful to Juvinous or even lillo if he comes back.

Cheers and good luck,

Peter

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

go on then, attach it :p

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Wow, welcome back PH. 8-)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Uhh I forgot the 'Substandard Web Browser' option. It's been too long...

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/592130

Pete

1   2 

Go to: