This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
GRIM Editor
James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

Is there a Linux version?
Or perhaps the source?
It looks like my game could really benefit this, as I've written a really crap stick man animator on my own (no editing software). Btw, congratulations on such a professional looking editor.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Yeah, sorry to be causing so much of the feature creep, whenever you feel like you've hit a "final" version just post it up, and say "no more" ;)

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Quote:

The new gfx look great!

Cheers! A bit time consuming but plenty more are on their way.

Quote:

Is there a Linux version?
Or perhaps the source?
It looks like my game could really benefit this, as I've written a really crap stick man animator on my own (no editing software). Btw, congratulations on such a professional looking editor.

1) I don't run linux so not yet but when it's finished if someone wants to port then no probs. I'm not really sure what's involved but to my knowledge there's no OS dependant stuff, it's all Allegro and standard C/C++.
2) At the moment my game engine and the GRIM editor share the same source since changes to structures and file formats are happening every day. When things are more permanent and the codes split off I'll release a proper version of the editor (with some tuts) and most probably the source. :)
3) Thanks! Things are happening pretty fast with this so it shouldn't be too long until it's all finished enough for others to use if they want.

Quote:

Yeah, sorry to be causing so much of the feature creep, whenever you feel like you've hit a "final" version just post it up, and say "no more" ;)

No problems at all! I'm all for hearing peoples ideas and opinions, makes a nice change from just having my own floating around. :) If people want certain things and I have the time to put them in (and they're possible) then I will try. The priority just depends on whether I need the features or not! ;) Keep the ideas coming.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

OK, cool :)
I'll keep checking back as it looks really good.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

It runs reeeally slow on my box. Granted, I don't have the fastest machine on the planet, but what you're doing isn't really graphics intensive, so I'm a little confounded by what's causing the slowdown. Perhaps a bit o' optimization is in order? :)

Matt Weir
Member #7,476
July 2006

Quote:

It runs reeeally slow on my box.

What in particular runs slowly? Just clicking and moving the bones around or animating between frames?

If it's the animating then it will be a bit slow at the moment the delta for the interpolation is just supplied by a 'for' loop as opposed to based on the actual time passed. Under options there's an option to take out the 'rest' that's in the for loop to run it as fast a possible but it still will try and do a set number of interpolations. I'll make an option to change this number in the near future as a temp fix.

In the actual game engine the delta is calculated the proper way based on actual time so it all works perfectly but I just have to code it that way in the editor. Won't be too differcult as the skin animations do it properly already but they were just an 'Animation' class I'd already written dropped straight in (took about 1 minute!). Same class that's used in the game for non-skeletal entities, tiles, and other graphics.

Quote:

but what you're doing isn't really graphics intensive

Masked rotations using Allegro's software routines at 800x600 isn't the greatest and there's a lot of calculating being done each frame using Sine and Cos. There are already lookup tables for these but I'm still tweaking them to get the accuracy right so in the meantime it's just being done with the actual functions. My actual game engine runs using Openlayer with alpha blended rotations, and is much faster. After all that, optimizing will be in order sometime but one thing I've learnt is to get it finished and working THEN optimize or it might never get finished. ;)

Francois Lamini
Member #7,791
September 2006

It doesn't work. You need to put MSCP80.DLL.

Francois

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

it works for me... and I love it so far.

Couple of issues though:

1.) When I change frames, all the changes I made to a frame are lost when I go back to it... what happend?

2.) Why does add frame insert a frame before the one I'm working on instead of add one after it?

3.) When I play the animation, the buttons to stop or control the animation become unresponsive, what the heck?

4.) Why do the textures have to be in png format?

5.) Can we get some kind of tooltips so that when I hover over a pretty icon that I don't know what it does, maybe it can say something to tell me what it is? Even in a status bar at the bottom of the window would be nice...

Finally: How soon can we expect a bmp-out feature? (or png-out, since you seem to like that format! ;))

Edit: Also I've been playing castlevania:SOTN lately and a LOT of the bad guys are actually vector based (and that evil dino bastard is one of them). Blah.

1   2 

Go to: