Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Chrysler's view on Global Warming..

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Chrysler's view on Global Warming..
Evert
Member #794
November 2000

On the topic of climate models, here's another image:

{"name":"temp_58_natural.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/03cf1d16ee271f172bd352a45951f0b7.gif","w":393,"h":284,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/03cf1d16ee271f172bd352a45951f0b7"}temp_58_natural.gif
The red curve is the measurement (off-set from those in the above graph for some reason), the black curves are climate models. They're fairly consistent until 1950 or so, at which point the measurement begins to deviate noticably from the model.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

And, more importantly, with higher CO2 concentrations, plants grow better, and crops have higher yields.

What happens when the level of CO2 exceeds the amounts the vegetation can handle? CO2 is on the increase, and yet vast areas of vegetation are continually being decimated.

Does anyone have a sense of Déjà vu? The opponents of the results from the research into global warming seem to be the proponents of the CO2 generators. Not long ago, the opponents of the results from research into causes of lung cancer were the proponents of cigarettes.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

jhuuskon said:

so that explains why the diesels haven't ran over that continent yet.

I don't know about that, diesel has always been cheaper here (Alberta/Canada), though as of late, not as much as it used to. But the main reason is probably that non import diesel vehicles suck.

Its funny we start talking about diesel vehicles about the same time as a group on another forum I go to. Some are thinking about getting some import diesels.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

What happens when the level of CO2 exceeds the amounts the vegetation can handle?

Well, if you consider strictly the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, there's less CO2 there now than is ideal for vegetation, so I guess there could be plenty more CO2 before it would be worse than the situation now. However, the effects of the CO2 on the climate would probably have a negative effect on the vegetation.

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

However, the effects of the CO2 on the climate would probably have a negative effect.

Negative for humans, and some animals sure, but everything balances out in the end (unless the levels are near Venus's ;))

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Well, effects like killing off the Golf stream would definitely screw vegetation up pretty much permanently (albeit not globally).

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Depends on what you mean by permanently. Long enough to let hardier plants move in?

--

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Evert, I know you're a very intelligent fellow, but a graph that goes back to 1850 really doesn's say much about long term climate patterns.

Quote:

Yes, because a temperature of 15 degrees is completely normal in the beginning of January. ::)

I get really annoyed when people don't want to limit human-caused climate change because it "costs too much".

As if the temparature of a day or even a year are statistically relavent. Just like the number of hurricanes in 2005 was a harbinger of the number of hurricanes in 2006.

Quote:

Climate models are much more accurate now

So the instead of total crap, they're just crap.

Christopher made alot of good points and no one challenged any of them in a meaningful way.

Strawmen indeed.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Where I grew up it was a "heat wave" if temp got to 20 F in Jan/Feb (chinook from the south). Just a couple days ago I saw the weatherman pointing to a cold air mass from the north that would moderate our spring tempuratures, the area (N.D. USA) had a current temp of 39 F after sunset. I also seem to remember there was usually three weeks or so in Feb where it'd max out at -35 F in February, but I haven't seen that for quite awhile. I oughta email some old school buddies to see what they say.

The Little Ice Age corresponded with the Maunder Minimum, where natural philosophers of the day thought Galileo had been hallucinating when he wrote of "spots on the sun" because they hadn't seen any for decades.

I've seen Mercedes four cylinder diesels from the 80's that accelerated so slowly you'd need to make an appointment to pull out on the road. I'd bet it'd have a quarter mile time of 30 seconds or so at 60 mph (a normal car (except econoboxes) you buy from a dealer would be maybe 16 seconds and 100 mph, a fast car maybe 14 and 120)

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

The thing about global warming is that it is potentially catastrophic. ie. it could be very very very bad for the whole world.
I'm using words like potentially, and could be, because it is difficult to be certain about anything much.
Anyway, maybe not everyone agrees that global warming is currently a problem; but I think that we can agree that it might be a problem. That should be enough. When I put on a seatbelt in a car, it's not because I expect to crash the car and be saved by the seatbelt, it's because I might crash the car and be saved by the seatbelt.
The threat of global warming is much greater than a car crash. Billions of lives are at stake. Many specices could face extinction. Maybe nothing bad will happen if we just continue as we are doing, but maybe it will. We shouldn't risk it. There's a good chance that these 'climate experts' might be right. There's a lot of modern evidence which suggests that global warming is a problem, and there is a damn lot to lose if we get this wrong.

-----------

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Christopher Webb said:

It doesn't change the fact that we were told we were heading into an Ice Age before the end of the century.

Ah, but the question is: who told you what? Read up on the links I have posted. It just didn't happen.

Even if there might have been an odd study that might have been constructed by someone to mean that an Ice Age is comming, there was certainly no scientific consensus on the topic. Unlike GW.

Quote:

The Medieval Warm Period Project [co2science.org] certainly indicates a much larger span than just Europe.

Uhh, your own site contracts you. Read it up. The average temperatures were higher than (say) 250 years ago, but they certainly weren't higher than today (except, of course, in Europe).

Again, feel free to ignore the evidence.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Yes, because a temperature of 15 degrees is completely normal in the beginning of January. ::)

I saw a funny thing on CNN the other day. They were doing a story about how the ski industry was bending over and taking it over the temperature this week. No snow, pitiful skiing, making crap money.

Funny thing was they interviewed both people that worked there as well as tourists for their perspective. The people running hotels there for thirty years shrugged it off; said there were at least a few times over the last three decades the temperature got that high and ruined business. Temperature rises, temperature falls, no worries. They've seen it before, it's always done that, be fine next year like it always is, nothing special. And then you had skiers, none of which looked like they'd even been alive thirty years, talking about how oh no, it was big bad global warming, it's terrible how the world is being destroyed by evil us, etc. Laughed pretty hard, personally. :)

So, actually .... yeah, it just might be kinda normal. :) The graphs are another story, but just because it's kinda warm where you are this year doesn't mean you should start stocking canned goods for the coming post-apocalyptic war after civilization ends.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Meh, I just wish the temperature here had managed to make it to 15 degrees more often this year. And it's supposed to be summer here!

Global warming? Yeah right. You're stealing that heat from us. :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Funny thing was they interviewed both people that worked there as well as tourists for their perspective. The people running hotels there for thirty years shrugged it off

Yes, but did they interview anyone who had been running hotels for five hundred years? :o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

In the scheme of things, even 500 years isn't very statistically significant.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Yes, but I've never met anyone running a hotel for over 500 years. :-/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

a graph that goes back to 1850 really doesn's say much about long term climate patterns.

That's right. It says something about short-term climate change, which is what's relevant. Look at the graph. It shows two things: year to year variations are large, and there is a systematic increase in temperature (seen in the few-year average) over the past decades. That isn't in dispute. The question is how much of that increase is due to human action - and indications are that at least some of it is.

Quote:

As if the temparature of a day or even a year are statistically relavent.

That's right. That's why I point you to the systematic rise in mean temperature over the past decades.

Say that global warming isn't caused by human intervention and will go away (or not) again naturally. Then it's a lot of fuss about nothing. But what if it isn't? The consequences are too severe to shrug off.

Quote:

So, actually .... yeah, it just might be kinda normal.

Eh... no. It's the highest temperature measured since they started recording. The past year was the warmest year ever recorded.

Quote:

Global warming? Yeah right. You're stealing that heat from us.

It doesn't mean the temperature rises everywhere on Earth; it means the global average rises. Right now, the effect is an increase in temperature in Western Europe. When the Gulfstream shuts down, temperatures in Europe will go down (as it did during the Maunder minimum).

Edward Sheets
Member #4,734
June 2004

A lot of people are going to deny that global warming is real and is a result of anything we're doing. It is more comfortable to believe we can do anything we want and not have a significant impact on our environment. It's not comforting to think of the world around us as a fragile thing; but it is.

Even if the warming is just a part of a natural climate cycle, the pollution we're putting out is going to have a negative effect on every living thing in one way or another. That's enough reason right there to try to make changes. But it does surprise me that people can watch the polar ice caps melting and say "oh, that's nothing... happens all the time!".

---

Note: carving a pentagram on the top of a container of spoiled yogurt does not summon a yogurt demon. -Kikaru

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

So far I'm enjoying global warming. ;)
Warmest. Winter. Ever.
Who cares? I've got central air and a rubber dingy. ;)

It's snowed twice here, and neither were more than an inch and lasted for less than a day. Quite a few jobs have been lost because of it, though. Normally around this time there are a lot of jobs in snow removal and winter sports, but there hasn't been enough snow. :-/

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its actually been a little colder here this winter so far I think. Though I'm no source of good information ::)

Though, its getting pretty cold this week, -20c to -30c, and we were just hit with a blizzard.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Global warming? Yeah right. You're stealing that heat from us

Quote:

It doesn't mean the temperature rises everywhere on Earth; it means the global average rises. Right now, the effect is an increase in temperature in Western Europe.

I need to start using [this is a JOKE][/this is a JOKE] tags. Smilies just don't seem to get the message across.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

We had a warm spell here, but it was mostly from a warm draft from the west, which also conveniently blocked cold from the north for a week. Overall it was probably warmer last year though. :P

I'm still iffy on the whole melting ice caps thing. If most of the ice is underwater anyway and ice takes more space than water, wouldn't that mean the water level ... drops?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Chris the problem is the antarctic, it is an area of land 14,000,000 km² in size and 98% is ice-covered. :-/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I'm still iffy on the whole melting ice caps thing. If most of the ice is underwater anyway and ice takes more space than water, wouldn't that mean the water level ... drops?

No. The iceberg itself becomes water. This should be fairly easy to test though: take a full cup of water (at room temperature) with an icecube in it and watch the icecube melt. Will the cup overflow or not?
[EDIT: actually, no, it won't overflow: the iceberg moves its own mass in water, just as the water it becomes does. A melting ice berg by itself doesn't change sea level. Mixed up my Archimedes when I wrote the above originally. No is still correct though. ;)]
The problem is melting icecaps on land. The glacier on Greenland is shifting and melting as well. A melting glacier will raise sea level.

In all honesty guys, doesn't it ever occur to you that when people who actually work on weather patterns, climate or glacier formation say there's a problem, they may actually know what they're talking about?

EDIT: Careful Rich: the melting ice on the Antarctic is actually icebergs; it's not clear that the land-ice is sliding there too, or at least it wasn't clear last I heard.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

Ignition, I'm not sure about detonation. But even then, it's the heat of the compressed air mixture igniting the fuel as it's injected.

You're right there. I had had a few when i posted that. :P

Quote:

Of course, I guess I'm describing the modern direct injected diesel process.

All diesels are direct injection, have been since the 80's. It's the newer common rail and pump nozzle injection systems that have actually made diesels powerful and clean.

You don't deserve my sig.

Go to: