Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Using sound() with Dev-C and Allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Using sound() with Dev-C and Allegro
Pier
Member #5,939
June 2005

Hi!

I'm helping a student with a project. He downloaded a library that uses the sound() function and wishes to expand the code. One idea was to display a piano (with allegro) to play along with the tune. The problem is that Dev-C doesn't have the sound() function. Is there any way to include it?

Best regards,

Pier

___________________________________________________________________________________________
There are 10 kind of people on this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

The DOS sound() function?

I don't even know if that would work in Windows XP, can't he use the Allegro sound functions?

Pier
Member #5,939
June 2005

Thanks for your answer!

Marco Radaelli said:

I don't even know if that would work in Windows XP

I think (but I'm not sure) that the school computers have Windows XP and it worked there (using another compiler, and without Allegro).

Marco Radaelli said:

can't he use the Allegro sound functions?

I there an easy way on doing it? The sound() functions receives as a parameter the frequency and plays it until nosound() is called. I haven't used the native allegro sound functions but my assumption is that they play a certain file. If that's the case, I think it would be troublesome (mainly because he's starting to learn C).

___________________________________________________________________________________________
There are 10 kind of people on this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

I gave a quick look at

Altough I never used them, from their description they look like what you need.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

The problem is that Dev-C doesn't have the sound() function.

Of course it doesn't. Dev-C++ is just an IDE for the MinGW gcc compiler.

Quote:

Is there any way to include it?

That depends on the library which contained the function. If the source code for the libray is available, it should be possible to compile it for gcc and then you could link it to the projects you create withj Dev-C++.

Go to: