Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » AllegroGL and Intel chipsets.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
AllegroGL and Intel chipsets.
Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Ok, we are running into problems with AllegroGL and Intel chipsets. I know people here probably don't have these chipsets but they are becoming increasingly popular (According to Epic's Mark Rein, 80% of laptops and 55% of desktops (note: he failed to cite a source for these figures) feature integrated graphics.

Still in our own tests, about half of laptops available to buy (from Staples) crashed with AllegroGL and OpenLayer.

It is not a question of buying a better card, if people want AllegroGL to be used (and especially for shareware games) then it has to be made to work on these cards. We are going to try to look into the problem ourselves, (we already ran into issues with the 915 chipset series). But I would like to see if AllegroGL developers can work on these problems themselves? Otherwise we'll end up using a different library in the future as AllegroGL will soon become outdated.

Sorry, if this sounds rather strong, but it's frustrating! :-/

Can the devs help?

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Well uh, I wont have time to personally do any development myself, but I will offer some testing.

Keep in mind this is actually a huge favour I'm doing you guys since bob's allegrohack literally froze(required hard reboot) my laptop and I'm fairly certain that this is going to result in some permanent data loss (I hope it's not my code :-/)

I have the following:

Geforce 6600go laptop
Intel integrated Dell from 2002 or so
New Gateway Laptop with integrated Intel.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

Ok, we are running into problems with AllegroGL and Intel chipsets.

I had some problems with AllegroGL running on Intel chips, too. IIRC I couldn't get AllegroGL to start fullscreen, 32-bit color with 8-bit alpha channel, 24-bit Z-buffer and 8-bit stencil buffer together, although NeHe framework seems to be able to do it just fine. :)

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Does this happen with AllegroGL 0.4.0? I thought we fixed that particular issue.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

[OFFTOPIC]
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but since AllegroGL seems to be a little bit outdated, and since most people here use it only because OL needs it, it wouldn't be possible to make OL AllegroGL-free?

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

I know my laptop's Intel i810 chipset works with AllegroGL/OpenLayer in Linux, at least after putting an XInitThreads() in my program. Haven't tested it in Windows, though.

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I haven't got the details yet. I don't have access to the machines myself, but I know one is a Intel 915 (which I thought we'd fixed) and the other one I know of is a strange chipset called ChromeDV.

Hopefully we can post more here soon once we get more details.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

AllegroGL seems to be a little bit outdated

How so?

Quote:

it wouldn't be possible to make OL AllegroGL-free?

Sure, if you don't mind reinventing the wheel. to come up with essentially the same solution.

--
- Bob

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

Sure, if you don't mind reinventing the wheel. to come up with essentially the same solution.

Well Bob, if AllegroGL crashes on more than 50% of shop laptops than there is a problem. To me that seems like it's not being kept upto date to work on these new chipsets and the Delta Chrome Video one which also crashes.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

I second the crashing problem.

Does OL use the newest AGL version ?

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

OL can use any fairly new version (which have the same API), but only the latest version of AllegroGL works with the latest version of Allegro.

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

if AllegroGL crashes on more than 50% of shop laptops than there is a problem.

Indeed. Do you know why and where it crashes? My laptop doesn't have Intel IGP, so I can't test things on my end. Remember: I (and the handful of other AGL developers) don't have all possible hardware combinations to debug on.

--
- Bob

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

We are looking into it, hopefully we can trace the problem and post here.

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

A friend of mine tried my game and got the crash on a Dell Dimension 3100 with the Intel 915 chipset. It's the latest (0.4.0 svn) AllegroGL + Allegro.

He sent me a trace and I think I remember it was falling over setting the graphics mode - I can find out for sure tomorrow.

It was on a work machine of his so I can't borrow it easily to debug AllegroGL yet but I've identified 30 or so machines where I work with the same graphics card so I might be able to get one if I can match one of those machines to a name that owes me a favour :)

If I get one would anyone care for an online problem solving session ?

On a side note, I second the importance. These kind of machines are the ones I would imagine most homebrew game writers would want their games working on. The souped up uber games PCs are likely to be owned by people that only play FPS's anyway.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

Can someone post some test(compiled windows exe) that I can just run and will print all the debug information required?

I don't have access to a compiler on either machine so if someone can do this I can post log dumps for two different IGP chipsets?

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

I think from where my game crashed that it's likely that even the AllegroGL examples will fall over in the same place, just compile AllegroGL DEBUGMODE=1.

ed.
It might be worth putting some extra TRACEs in allegrogl/src/win.c in allegro_gl_win_init() ? ... or somewhere in there

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Sorry, we are having big problems here. :-/
Can anyone else see if they can test the problem on Intel chipsets?

It would be a great help.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

On a side note, I second the importance. These kind of machines are the ones I would imagine most homebrew game writers would want their games working on. The souped up uber games PCs are likely to be owned by people that only play FPS's anyway.

Well actually software rendering would be useless for my game (1 FPS if lucky), so I would not want at all people with those cards to play the game. But what I hate more is the fact that it's just crashing, it's just so unprofessional...

Basically I would like it to not crash so that I can say "buy a real PC u n00b" :D

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

It looks like it supports OpenGL 1.4 and has a reasonable spec for most homebrew games, but yes, I hate crashes

ed. yay I got glyphkeeper working, duh!

topaz22
Member #2,049
March 2002

What operating system are you using?

Can you provide a stack trace of the crash?

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

I can't at the moment, this was the log that was sent to me

1allegro_init()
2al-main INFO: Allegro initialised (instance 1)
3install_keyboard()
4install_timer()
5install_sound()
6install_joystick()
7install_mouse()
8zTiming::Init()
9set_display_switch_mode()
10set_display_switch_mode()
11zScreen::Init()
12AllegroGL version 0.4.0 RC4
13zScreen::zScreen 1280 x 1024 @ 32 Fullscreen
14al-gfx INFO: Called set_gfx_mode(1330072644, 1280, 1024, 0, 0).
15al-gfx INFO: Firt call, remembering console state.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Ok, I'm trying to build the debug version of AllegroGL so we can try to trace the problems and after it has made the text.c example I get this:

Quote:

gcc examp/test.c -o examp/test.exe -mwindows -W -Wall -Wno-unused -DDEBUGMODE -g
-Iinclude -Iinclude/allegrogl -Iinclude/allegrogl/GLext lib/mingw32/libagld.a -
lalld -luser32 -lgdi32 -lglu32 -lopengl32
c:\dev-cpp\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot f
ind -lalld
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [examp/test.exe] Error 1

Any ideas?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You'll need to install the debug version of allegro as well. make DEBUGMODE=1 in windows iirc.

liballd is the debug version of allegro's lib file.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

ah.. Well I carried on with the install and it writes the (92k) allegro.log file showing all the AllegroGL details out just fine. Is this ok to use?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It was only the tests that failed, so yes, its fine.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2   3 

Go to: