Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » MicroHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
MicroHack
kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I only tried CGamesPlay and sort of skipped most of the comments after he pasted his code but a) it didnt compile outright and b) firing is unimplemented.

Originally I got this error:

x.cpp:140: error: `Map::Draw(BITMAP*)::seg' uses local type `Map::Draw(BITMAP*)::seg'
x.cpp:140: error:   trying to instantiate `template<class _Alloc> class std::allocator'
x.cpp:140: error: template argument 2 is invalid

Because vector<seg> segments used a locally declared struct, I didnt even know that was legal and apparently neither does g++( 3.4.4 ). I moved the definition of the struct outside the Draw() method and it worked fine.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Yeah, firing was unimplemented. I should have just gone with the double buffer method and solved both those problems :P

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

jakerohs
Member #485
June 2000

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>LOOK AT GROUND

You see a sledgehammer, lots of grass and some beetles

>GET SLEDGEHAMMER

You have picked up a Sledgehammer

>INVENTORY

1 Sledgehammer
1 Sandwich
3 Mysterious coins

>EAST

OK.

>LOOK

You are at a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here. To the west is an open field.

>SMASH DOOR

What with? You need to use something.

>USE SLEDGEHAMMER

OK.

>SMASH DOOR

The door breaks down in front of you.

>LOOK

You are at a white house, with a broken front door.
There is a small mailbox here. To the west is an open field. Through the doorway you can see a flight of stairs. You can see an eerie purple light reflected on the stairs.

>_

Hee hee. Anyone like to continue? :)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

Plus I always try to neaten and get things orderly, and never end up getting anything done. My stuff ends up being infinately extendable yet infinately not done.

Just get stuff done and don't worry about the code. Even professional game developers don't have time to stop code getting hacky when it's crunch time. :)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Ack! I am not going to be able to participate this Saturday! I would like to run one on Sunday at 8 p.m. EDT (Mon Jul 31 01:00:00 UTC 2006). I can run both if you guys like, or only one. You decide :) (Or suggest something completely different)

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I can't really do Saturday either, because of yet-another-wedding. However, I'm in for Sunday. ;D

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I don't know if I'm in or out. Probably out Fri,Sat,Sun. Probably Thurs.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Ugh. I've had some plans sprung on me, and won't be in town this weekend. I will still have the site up, but won't be in town to manage it.

[append]

Feast your eyes, allegroites, on the new, improved MinorHack site. It features a super-slick backend that you don't really care about. Most importantly, it has a count down, and will select a rule once the competition starts. I won't be in town for these, of course, but I expect some good entries, damnit! If I get back and nobody has anything I will be angry! And sad! Avoir!

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Are those times UTC?

------------

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

No, they are EDT, sorry :) That's GMT -4 :)

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I thought of an idea that would be kind of neat for a programming competition. It would be cool if we could get somebody (or somebodies) to make a large set of artwork, gfx, sfx and music and this is the only media that participants use. This totally focuses on the programmer's ability to make efficient/fun gameplay, considering every game will have the same look/feel. It's just an idea that's up for the community to manage into a working model.

Also, at the International Programming Competition*, there was this fun mini-competition where you are given a manual of object code written in java. The goal was to take this set of object functionality and produce some code that would make the object to think and react. Then, you step back and everybody's code competes with everybody elses code and the winners are determined simply by which AI wins the game itself.

At the competition I was at, we have a car and we had to develop it's brain to race and collect points and win by having the most points. It was three hours long, and none of us were very familiar with java, so the first two hours, we tried to figure out how the manual worked. Then, for the last hour, we designed a "brain" that just went for the simplest route of gainning points. Assuming we lost, we watched the games play out in several tournament like matches. We were proud (and surprised) to win third place. The main thing about our program was that it avoided pile-ups from running into other cars, which happened every race. It was really funny.

Hmmm, I really went off topic there, didn't I? Well, anywho, the phase-idea that you presented would allow for similar results of that java competition if we make a decent engine in the early phases. Just thought I'd throw all this out there. :)

• I was a Sophomore at the time. I got to go because I was on the reserve team (which was allowed to compete in the java challenge). One of my roommates ran into Sean Connery in our hotel. :o What an experience...

[edit] - some typos.

------------

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Bump!

So I guess nothing happened then :-/ How very sad :P

Well I will do more work on a PhaseHack site and maybe run one late August/early September.

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I ended up being too busy to do one anyway. However, with you gone, it didn't make much sense. You've got to have a sheperd to herd the sheep!

------------

1   2   3 

Go to: