Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Does get_gfx_mode_list work with AllegroGL?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does get_gfx_mode_list work with AllegroGL?
Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I'm using some code based on a snippet ReyBrujo posted some time ago.

First I get the list of drivers and write them out to a logifle and I get these options:

Quote:

name: AllegroGL Windowed (Win32)
ID: 1330072663
name: AllegroGL Fullscreen (Win32)
ID: 1330072646
name: AllegroGL Default Driver
ID: 1330072644

However, when I call get_gfx_mode_list with any of these ID's it just returns NULL indicating failure. I get the same thing when I try to use the DIRECTX drivers instead.

Anyone else had this problem?

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

A little example program would help. And yes, it should work. Did you init allegro and allegroGL?

Also, from the manual: "Note that the card parameter must refer to a real driver. this function fails if you pass GFX_SAFE, GFX_AUTODETECT, or any other "magic" driver."

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

I don't think we implemented this, but it would be trivial to do so - AGL already builds up a list internally to pick the right graphics mode.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I might as well ask. Is AllegroGL still being worked on Bob?

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Yes, but not by me.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

Elias, Peter and me mostly.

get_gfx_mode_list is implemented. I did it for Windows. At least it should work with DirecX drivers which has nothing to do with AGL.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I've found the directX part, but I presume their needs to be an equal part in the OpenGL side.

What are the plans for AllegroGL then? :)

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

So, does get_gfx_mode_list(GFX_OPENGL_FULLSCREEN) return something other than NULL, like it is supposed to?

The plan is to release AllegroGL-0.4.0 when Allegro-4.2.1 comes out. AGL-0.4.0 will work only with Allegro >= 4.2.0. Then I don't know, AGL should be merged in Allegro as a ordinary display driver.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I tried the 3 ID's I found:

name: AllegroGL Windowed (Win32)
ID: 1330072663
name: AllegroGL Fullscreen (Win32)
ID: 1330072646
name: AllegroGL Default Driver
ID: 1330072644

But none of them worked. I didn't try GFX_OPENGL_FULLSCREEN, but that seems to be the second choice.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

This works for me:

1#define ALLEGRO_USE_CONSOLE 1
3#include <allegro.h>
4#include <alleggl.h>
5#include <stdio.h>
7int main()
8{
9 GFX_MODE_LIST *l;
11 allegro_init();
12 install_allegro_gl();
14 l = get_gfx_mode_list(1330072646);
15 printf("%i\n", l);
16 printf("%i\n", l->num_modes);
18 return 0;
19}
20END_OF_MAIN()

Quering mode list of other two drivers makes no sense because the first one supports any resolution (window sizes) and the third one is ambiguous.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

The only thing that might be important is I tried this with OpenLayer (about setting up Allegro and OpenLayer, but before opening a screen).

I just got 0 or NULL back from get_gfx_mode_list.. :-/

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

You didn't mention the version of AGL you are using. 0.4.0RC4 should do, older versions won't work because it was implemented recently.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Ah! It might be that. I just use OpenLayer, so not sure what version it links into. The .a file in the OpenLayer folders seems to be about a year old though..

I'm not sure if OpenLayer works with the newest AllegroGL lib. I've always been reluctant to use new versions of libraries while I'm in the middle of a project using them! :)

Go to: