Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What Allegro meas in English

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
What Allegro meas in English
LordHolNapul
Member #3,619
June 2003

Hey, I'm Italian and I obviously know what "Allegro" means, it's an Italian Word...
But do you know the right translation in english ??? ?
;D;D;D;D

In second way, who decided this name when the library was created ? Perhaps I should go to the credits help page...

I'm waiting for your answer ... Ciao

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Allegro low level game routines?
Other than that allegro means quick and is used in musical notation for a tempo around 120-140 BPM.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

IIIRC, originally Allegro meant nothing. Later the original author, Shawn Hargreaves, found out he could write Allegro as a recursive acronym.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

IIIRC, originally Allegro meant nothing.

Well it must have meant something to Shawn, even if it's not known. Punching down random keys will unlikely turn out to form the word Allegro.

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

In English, Allegro is term used in musical scores. It's usually written under the notes and it means that the tempo / music should start to get a bit more lively.

LordHolNapul
Member #3,619
June 2003

OK ok, you're Right!
Allegro means more thoughts :
In music a quick Music... because
Elsewhere
It means Happy! Allegro=Happy :)
When I'm happy I go quick!

Of course the main theory is right as Kent says :
Punching down random keys = Allegro

Yes, I's gone like this for sure! yea yea...

:D

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Original author Shawn Hargreaves did a music related degree at the University of York (where all the best people went) so he almost certainly knew exactly what Allegro meant.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Atari Low Level Graphics Routines. And yes, I bet he knew what Allegro meant.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Quote:

Allegro means more thoughts :
In music a quick Music

Hehe, my piano teacher just told me yesterday what Allegro means ...
In music, Allegro does NOT implicitly mean fast; it means bright, happy, which can meant as quick in case of music, too.

Quote:

It means Happy! Allegro=Happy :)
When I'm happy I go quick!

What have you smoked when you wrote that? :o

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Atari Low Level Graphics Routines [en.wikipedia.org]

What can I say? Don't trust wikipedia! ;)

Changes from 3.1 to 3.11 (Feb 1999) said:

1. Changed the name of the library. After years of thinking that Allegro was a word with no particular meaning, I realised that it is in fact a recursive acronym for "Allegro Low Level Game Routines".

On a side note, I got a phone call the other day related to Allegro :o

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Allegro Low Level Game Routines

ALLGR?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

LordHolNapul
Member #3,619
June 2003

name said:

What have you smoked when you wrote that? :o

Smoke is Dangerous, Rick Dangerous, I don't Smoke, I drink... when the winter come forth I ablaze the infernal fortress , between Trolls and withces, I'm Ablazed too...

I'm very impressed about the true of the Allegro name. It's like a videogame story where the everything have a meaning and we are a part of an enormous system, and every move we made has been already anticipated and calculated... in a Matrix/Deus Ex/cpu MAcroSystem!!!

(ok, I drink whiskey with coca-cola )

Nice drunk... night to you!
8-)

Ciao

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Sono allegro = I'm Happy

I'm allegro... You're a low level game routine? ;D:o

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NyanKoneko
Member #5,617
March 2005

I'm of the Allegro! Yes! Together we wins with allegro within the happiness of sunny days!

Thank you for your readings with allegro.

Together under the blue skies, we allegro for with the birds.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Allegro is/was also a fine British car :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Somebody needs to change the wikipedia page, then. I nominate Rey.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Evert said:

On a side note, I got a phone call the other day related to Allegro

There's something wrong with these message boards. The rest of your post got cut off.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

The rest of his post is " :o" :P

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Quote:

On a side note, I got a phone call the other day related to Allegro :o

Was it along the lines of, "If you don't release 4.2.1, I'll ..."? ;)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Was it along the lines of, "If you don't release 4.2.1, I'll ..."? ;)

Hehe... :) I'm working on it (honestly!).

The phone call was actually from someone who wanted to port Allegro to something or other for his graduation project and wanted some information about the internals. I told him it would be best to post on the mailinglist for information, but I don't think he has...

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Maybe it was nothing to do with Allegro and you really have a stalker who has pictures of you posted all over his house.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

wikipedia says said:

Initially standing for "Atari Low-Level Game Routines", Allegro was originally created by Shawn Hargreaves for the Atari ST in the early 1990s

But from what I remember of the Allegro 3 docs, I don't agree with this entry. After all, it's Allegro, not ALLEGRO.
My guess is the name was chosen as a homage to STOS Maestro - the sound extension to STOS Basic.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Punching down random keys will unlikely turn out to form the word Allegro.

In this Universum Shawn happened to type the word Allegro. In another Universum he typed Potrzebie.

Musical degree? No. That was in another Universum, too. There he typed Adagio.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

You know, it is said that if a monkey starts smashing random keys on a keyboard it will write down the complete Divine Comedy in a "finite" (although VERY LONG) time.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

It is also said that events with a very low probability to happen are likely to happen in our universe...

1   2   3 

Go to: