Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

load_bitmap("whatever.bmp")

How about:

load_bitmap("whatever.png", IMG_PING);
load_bitmap("whatever.dat", IMG_TARGA);

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

Quote:

We don't want people to have to download 4 or 5 packages just to get Allegro up and running.

Then how come there are often newbies here who DO have MingW installed, but have problems installing Allegro? You're not going to tell me they ALL get it with Dev-C++, are you?
Downloading isn't hard, it's what comes after it.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

That works, but it would be nice if the function could determine what type to use itself. True, this would cause lots of unnecessary forking, but it would be nice to newb's anyway.

EDIT:

Once again, another thought that I agree with. Sometimes people don't realize that there is a little thing called, hello... BUILD documentation files? We need a slightly better readme with our stuff too. If allegro is designed to be newb-friendly, we have to design the lib to be newb-friendly.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

If we're dropping dos, we can write out the full name of allegro, I think.

Marcello

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Yes, unless they are using win95... win95 still doesn't like long file names... it will handle them, it just doesn't like them very much.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Then again, Windows 95 is (and has been for a long time) officially depreciated.

When the developers of a product say "don't use this product," that should say something.

[appended]

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Well, I've been thinking about it, and I have to begin to start agreeing with Marcello on this one. Interal drivers in C, external API for C++. Once again, C is great for speed, but the external API is going to be basically the same speed no matter what.

GHA! STUPID CHEMISTRY HOMEWORK!

EDIT:

I'm dumb!, yeah. Good Point Chris.

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

My tupence ha’peny - (sorry for the sideways direction)

Many new game programmers start with Allegro and then switch to SDL

This, to me, makes API issues trivial in comparison to AllegGL integration. The most important thing has got to be keeping programmers that face the choice of a steep learning curve with OpenGL+Allegro&AllegGL or a seemingly equally steep learning curve with OpenGL+SGL.

I can see it myself from that perspective at the moment since that's about where I'm up to now, I know I need to progress by using OpenGL and my perception is that it would be just as easy to choose SDL over Allegro+AllegGL.

I wont though because :-
I believe people here who say that there is little or no technical advantage.
I don't want the only game library that's good for beginners to die.
Although everyone is saying how dated Allegro is I think it's a strong advantage that my game can run ok (latest unreleased version anyway) under linux on an oldish pentium 333 Mhz PC with NO 3D acceleration either under X or on the framebuffer whereas Chromium and others run only under X and badly on the same machine (thanks knoppix). There's still alot of these machines about.

It doesn't bother me if the DOS drivers are scrapped and the focus be on OpenGL but (daft question) - you're still keeping the other drivers right ?, if not and you end up ripping out everything that makes it good for beginners then wont you be left with SDL?

Are there any completed quality games that use AllegGL ?, it's be nice to see it working well and if there isn't one it'd be worth porting either an OpenGL or SDL game just to avoid the vs threads.

There have been a few threads about using AllegGL for 2D games has anyone got any source for this or do I really need to go through all the NeHe tutorials etc?...

it's great that there is renewed interest in developing allegro 5 again IMHO the important thing is :-

need to integrate allegGL > need to make allegro more attractive == TRUE

casts maturing spell on AllegGL

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Nonono... you got it all wrong. We are not going for an all-out opengl raw library thing. I was thinking more of having wrapper functions on top of open gl that does what the current functions do.

OpenGL is just another graphics library. Just like Allegro currently wraps around the directx 2d API, it shouldn't be to hard to wrap around the openGL 2d API. Besides, by wrapping around the opengl 2d api, you make it multiplatform compatable almost instantaneously--Even less code to maintain.

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

breaths again

good to here, I'd like to help but I think I'd be out of my depth, I'm close to v1 now of my game, I'll see after that.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

I'm dumb!... more than I can say, I haven't really had time to do any game programming lately. Most of my game programming has been restricted to the TI-BASIC on my TI-89 Graphing Calculator. sigh, I wish I had more time. Oh well, I will in about a month and a half! WOOHOO! Highschool graduation! carrus85 does a little dance

I'm dumb! ;D

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Blah blah blah.
I've read quite a number of good ideas. A good start. But in the end all of these ideas are worth no more than the few kilobytes of space taken up on an 80 gig hard drive. (Or perhaps a a few KB on a <$1 DVD.)

It only matters where the rubber meets the road: Actual work (eg coding). Otherwise all we have is a disorganized wishlist. A w*t dream.

Pointing fingers and nominating people isn't getting anywhere either.

If you have the time commitment (e.g. months spending nights and weekends) and the discipline (e.g. no slacking or vaporware), step up to the plate with other people with the same passion and bandwidth, form a team, make some goals, and get it done. I don't care if you have little programming experience. You could learn. You could help with smaller programming tasks. You can do all the non-programming grunt work.

And you don't even have to listen to anyone. Now granted if you want to maximize the number of people interested in your finished project, you might want to listen... But those who do the work get to decide. Add Tandy support? fine. Program in Cobol? fine. Dump Linux? fine. It's your project.

I'm sure the Allegro community will cheer you on (assuming you in keeping in the spirit of the original Allegro library). And if you get enough steam, you might even get more help along the way. Myself, since I'm not going to contribute much, if anything to the Allegro 5 base and since no one working on Allegro 5 asked, no big wishlist from me.

Right now, all we have is Allegro V: Final Fantasy.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Hey, I'm more than willing to spend time on it. Truth told, I may only be able to contribute about 5-6 hours a week on it for the next month and a half, but after that, I'm pretty much without something to do.

Plucky, you do have some points. However, if the project is going to go anywhere quickly, it need someone (or a couple someones) in charge, otherwise people are going to waste their time reinventing the wheel, programming stuff that is already programmed, etc. There needs to be an orchastrator; someone to handle everything from a higher level, lest confusion ensues.

I'm not saying I'm not a programmer, btw. I'm just saying I'm not very experienced at programming, especially large, group projects. I would make a much better web maintainer, documentation maintainer, etc. than a programmer at the current moment. True, I like programming a lot more, but I don't want to hold anyone back. ::)

EDIT: but if push comes to shove, I could do programming. I wouldn't mind doing some of the easier stuff, and I could always learn to do the harder stuff. Just whatever you do, don't ask me to do ASM yet; ASM is greek to me at the current moment...

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Plucky: The problem is that if we start coding before we know what the hell we're making, it will all me wasted effort. Design and coordinate first, code later.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Design is already mostly done. Just pick up the mailing list discussion(s), or any of the documents on the Allegro web page.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

So, I was wondering, does anyone know of any good, FREE programs that we could use to handle inhertiance diagrams for this whole deal? We need to get a design document going so we can see what exactly we are going to do.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Dia.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Haven't we already established that most people do not want to delve into the mailing list? I for one fear it like the plague. I would MUCH rather like an open discussion forum.

Seriously, mailing lists are annoying and outdated.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I have to agree; I hate mailing lists like poison. We need some medium that let's you interact via forums or mailing list at the same time. :)

I'd also like to point out this is probably the longest thread ever. :P

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

The problem with mailing lists is not only are they annoying as all heck, they have the tendency to be so unreadable, so unintuitive, you spend more time looking for infromation that getting the information you want! Allegro.cc's forums should provide a sufficient medium for us to coordinate with, coupled with email, of course.

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

In order to coordinate this, there should be a central person, but it should not be one that dictates decisions, but one that sets the agenda, i.e. he/she should be the only one to hold votes and will integrate code.

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Carrus85 said:

Plucky, you do have some points. However, if the project is going to go anywhere quickly, it need someone (or a couple someones) in charge, otherwise people are going to waste their time reinventing the wheel, programming stuff that is already programmed, etc. There needs to be an orchastrator; someone to handle everything from a higher level, lest confusion ensues.

The core team decides what the decision making structure is. And there is a difference between coding/system decision-making and leading/driving. There's no point head-hunting for a leader or decision-maker without this core team in place. Those who will do the work decide on their own decision-making structure.

X-G said:

Plucky: The problem is that if we start coding before we know what the hell we're making, it will all me wasted effort. Design and coordinate first, code later.

The core team decides what the goals are. Not us in the peanut gallery. Imagine the whole US congress trying to write a law rather than by a small committee. Also imagine the whole adult population of the US crying out ideas for a law in a public forum. How long would such a process take?

Form the team first. Make sure all the roles are identified. Fomr a decision-making structure. Make sure we have the skills to make progress. Make some goals. Then start on a design document and/or wish list, et cetera.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Then you nominate a leader and set up a vote or something. In the meantime, we'll be making a wishlist, thank you.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'd contribute what I can (though I'm not terribly great), I just don't know what I should contribute. And I'm not exactly sure what areas of Allegro I could really help with. If someone would just tell me what to do, I could probably do it. But I have no clue where to start.

I guess I should just spent some hours going through all the future proposals, and coding what I can. If any of it turns out to be useful to the codebase, I'll submit it.

-----sig:

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

X-G, as I said, a simple wishlist is worth as much as its stored size on your hard drive. Not even a half-penny.

I was hoping to steer the discussion to nuts and bolts and spur action. But if you guys just want to prattle away and day dream, fine. ::)

Go to: